• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Nah, no insult... I started w/ a mustache overseas, but tried to get back w/ my high school sweet heart when i came home so the stache went away.... now that i put a ring on that finger i can get away with the stash again.... at least for the winter, i will shave it for the summer months as i dont like the lake water in it.... hard to shake water off your head and mustache at the same time.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Nick, you can rock the table to and fro and this can show you "potential" run out, but if you keep the locks snug it does not matter, it only gives you an indication of how worn the ways surfaces are.

Not a big deal, it is only important to be careful if you take a big cut the table can jump if the locks are not snug

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I had a table jump on me the other day... ended up shattering the keyway cutter sending part of it into my knuckle... but i am still a newb at machining....

with the table locks as loose as possible, there is ZERO movement, and i mean ZERO

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you take out the backlash, that would help too. When you lock the table down, move the dials the opposite way into the backlash. That way if/when the table moves, it won't change your settings and won't have to scrap your work. Its actually the way your suppose to do it anyway.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you take out the backlash, that would help too. When you lock the table down, move the dials the opposite way into the backlash. That way if/when the table moves, it won't change your settings and won't have to scrap your work. Its actually the way your suppose to do it anyway.

it only has around 35 thou of backlash in the middle, if that.... and while i understand what you are saying i have no practical experience w/ it...
    do any of you guys know of any milling for dummies videos? because as of right now i just have a very large drill press....

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know theres all kinds of videos on YouTube. Depending on how much you want to spend, Ivy Tech has EXCELLENT machining courses. I've taken them. And the 30-35 thousands is plenty. You wouldn't have to turn the dial back that much, just til it loosens up. Then take your large cut, and then bring the dial back to the original number you left it at

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I know theres all kinds of videos on YouTube. Depending on how much you want to spend, Ivy Tech has EXCELLENT machining courses. I've taken them. And the 30-35 thousands is plenty. You wouldn't have to turn the dial back that much, just til it loosens up. Then take your large cut, and then bring the dial back to the original number you left it at

i have been looking into a machine class, but everytime i do the search i get nothing but garbage.... is this the ivy tech here in indy? the one 10 miles north of my home? :):

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Machine-Tools-Student-Steve/dp/0078307228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267064927&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Technology Of Machine Tools Student Edition (9780078307225): Steve F. Krar, Arthur R. Gill, Peter Smid, Steve Krar: Books[/ame]

That's the text book I used. Lots of great info in there. Not cheap, but it was still worth it.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dang, i wonder what your neighbors were thinking when you were moving that beast into your garage. There goes the neighborhood j/k. Probably going to get with you in the near future to get some sights for my XD.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom