• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I received this Tucker Gunleather Silent Thunder STX a couple of weeks ago and have been wearing it ever since. This holster is extremely comfortable to wear. It pulls it in tight to your body, is very thin, and conceals very easy. With the leather lining it is quite when drawing the gun. There are 2 retention screws that you can set your gun retention to suit yourself. The craftsmanship is, as to be expected, is the best I've seen in a Kydex holster. To say I am very happy with this holster is an understatement.

NewHolster008.jpg

NewHolster001.jpg

NewHolster003.jpg

NewHolster005.jpg

NewHolster002.jpg

Here is a link to their website,
    Tucker Gunleather

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    :yesway: for the Tucker Silent Thunder Holster. I have an IWB style for my SA- EMP. I am very happy and highly recommend it! Very personal customer service as well.

Rudy3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Tucker did not make or design that holster. Garrett Industries did. There is no such thing as a "Tucker Silent Thunder" holster. Tucker just sells them. Nice looking holster though. I know Ron and Sheryl Garrett and it bugs me to no end that they never get credit for their designs and workmanship. OK I am off my rant.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Tucker did not make or design that holster. Garrett Industries did. There is no such thing as a "Tucker Silent Thunder" holster. Tucker just sells them. Nice looking holster though. I know Ron and Sheryl Garrett and it bugs me to no end that they never get credit for their designs and workmanship. OK I am off my rant.

Alrighty then, thank you for clearing that up. Either way it is still a great holster :rockwoot:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

This is taken from a 2008 M1911 review of the holster (which is better than my review :laugh:)

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

[SIZE=+2]Enter William T. Tucker and Ron Garrett[/SIZE]
    W.T. Tucker, "Tucker", as he prefers to be called, is no stranger to top quality leather and holster making. His work is coveted by many consumers and envied by many a maker. Tucker's craftsmanship and singular focus on quality have seen wait times for his work triple in the last two years. Yet, customers don't seem to mind and his list of return business gets longer everyday.
    Tucker's initial foray into the kydex world came from the challenge of finding an IWB solution, which would cover all necessary bases. This culminated in the now wildly popular "Answer" IWB, a half-kydex, half -premium cowhide hybrid. The result is a tremendously comfortable, fast-drawing holster, which does not compromise the slim cross-section of the venerable 1911.
    Being a fanatic about quality, Tucker needed a source for kydex products, which would meet his exacting standards. This is where Ron Garrett comes in. A relatively unknown company, at least to the civilian world, Garrett Industries, is the exclusive supplier and shaper of Tucker's kydex products. Garrett is well known among both the kydex world and also for their innovative products for Military, Law Enforcement and private sector protection entities. Garrett uses the finest, most consistent kydex in the world. All holsters and accessories are laser cut to insure the finest finished product available.

[SIZE=+2]Acknowledgements[/SIZE] I would like to thank Rob Longenecker of Tucker Gunleather and Ron Garrett of GI, for their generosity of time and willingness to listen to criticism during the writing of this review.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'm gonna look into one for my CZ me thinks. I'm also gonna show my father in law, he likes revolvers and would love to have a holster like this. Nice!

This is taken from a 2008 M1911 review of the holster (which is better than my review :laugh:)

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

[SIZE=+2]Enter William T. Tucker and Ron Garrett[/SIZE]
    W.T. Tucker, "Tucker", as he prefers to be called, is no stranger to top quality leather and holster making. His work is coveted by many consumers and envied by many a maker. Tucker's craftsmanship and singular focus on quality have seen wait times for his work triple in the last two years. Yet, customers don't seem to mind and his list of return business gets longer everyday.
    Tucker's initial foray into the kydex world came from the challenge of finding an IWB solution, which would cover all necessary bases. This culminated in the now wildly popular "Answer" IWB, a half-kydex, half -premium cowhide hybrid. The result is a tremendously comfortable, fast-drawing holster, which does not compromise the slim cross-section of the venerable 1911.
    Being a fanatic about quality, Tucker needed a source for kydex products, which would meet his exacting standards. This is where Ron Garrett comes in. A relatively unknown company, at least to the civilian world, Garrett Industries, is the exclusive supplier and shaper of Tucker's kydex products. Garrett is well known among both the kydex world and also for their innovative products for Military, Law Enforcement and private sector protection entities. Garrett uses the finest, most consistent kydex in the world. All holsters and accessories are laser cut to insure the finest finished product available.

[SIZE=+2]Acknowledgements[/SIZE] I would like to thank Rob Longenecker of Tucker Gunleather and Ron Garrett of GI, for their generosity of time and willingness to listen to criticism during the writing of this review.

Rudy3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    My original statement still stands. Tucker did not make a Silent Thunder holster... ever. Tucker does not design those holsters either. It is my understanding that at the time that article was written Tucker was the only outlet for that holster line. That is not the case today. regardless, If you look at your holster you will not find the name Tucker on it anywhere, you will find Garrett however right in the logo.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Thanks for the review. That's a very interesting holster, combining as it does the advantages of both leather and kydex. I'm quite interested, no matter who's name is on it LOL.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    My original statement still stands. Tucker did not make a Silent Thunder holster... ever. Tucker does not design those holsters either. It is my understanding that at the time that article was written Tucker was the only outlet for that holster line. That is not the case today. regardless, If you look at your holster you will not find the name Tucker on it anywhere, you will find Garrett however right in the logo.

Ok, here is what Rudy3 is talking about, I found the holster for sale at Garrett's web site (dang it can't get the link to work but you can find their web site under Garrett Industries using BING/Google/Yahoo, etc) for the same price as Tucker Gun Leather

So, thanks for Rudy3's input but I'm not sure why he is attempting to say that credit is not being given to Garrett, since obviously Garrett themselves don't have any heartburn with Tucker selling the holster. As was pointed out in the 2008 review, credit was given to Garrett industries then and is obviously being given to them now with their name burned into the leather of the holster. But I suppose everybody has to have a pet peeve (and thats a pretty harmless peeve and a good one to have ). Not sure where you are justifiably able to say that Rob didn't design or help design the holster, since again Tucker Gun Leather and Garrett's have had a profitable relationship for several years now. Here are couple of more reviews where credit is given to Tucker Gun Leather for the design and Garrett's for the build

Garrett Industries Holsters

Tactical-Life.com GARRETT INDUSTRIES’ Silent Thunder Holsters

What's the question? | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

I will have another review of a Tucker Gunleather holster, the HF1 leather holster coming in the near future. I received a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately had already sent the Kimber that this holster is for off to Robar's for refinishing so it won't be back for a couple of weeks (which some really bad timing on my part, since I've waited for this holster for over a year, but looks so far to be well worth it!!!!!!!) :)

Last edited:

Rudy3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    I can justifiably say that neither Tucker or Rob (Two separate people) have anything to do with the design or manufacture of this holster. The only input Tucker (William T) had was to hand over a pattern for the body of a holster for a 1911. no attachment points, no belt slide, nothing. Just a body. The Garretts were never satisfied with the design because it was for a leather holster, so they came up with their own holster designs. They came up with the process for bonding leather and Kydex, They design their own holsters, and they build said holsters, hence their name in the logo. I apologize for my peevishness which I fully and freely admit, but Ron is my nephew and I don't think they (Ron and his wife Sheryl) get the credit they deserve. I talked to Ron last night and he asked to let it lie so I will. I just wanted to explain the story.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip I talked to Ron last night and he asked to let it lie so I will. snip

I imagine so. He's got his name on the holster, and it's being marketed through an outstanding company. I'd think he would be quite pleased! It does look like a neat holster. A little more than I was planning on spending, but not stratospherically so. Given the toughness and utility of both leather and kydex, it should last forever. It's not as purty as a straight leather holster right now, but I'll bet in 10 years it'll look better than leather purchased at the same time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Have you noticed the belt clips digging in or creating pressure points? Just from looking at pics, it looks to me like the possiblity would exist.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Have you noticed the belt clips digging in or creating pressure points? Just from looking at pics, it looks to me like the possiblity would exist.

Not at all, very comfortable to wear. :rockwoot:

It's all good Rudy3, like it was said, it's a fantastic holster and very well made by your nephew !!!!!!! Tell him thank you and well done on his craftsmanship :rockwoot:

I will definitely be buying another for my full size 1911 (got to let the bank account cool down a little first :D)

Top Bottom