• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Ruger 77 owners: Do you find that the scope sits too close to the bolt lever for a comfortable reload?

I was concerned about this, if my fingers might hit the scope during cycling. There's enough room to comfortably cycle for me even with gloves on.

Mike

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Using a Sig brace as a stock, makes it a stock.
    That device with a 16" bbl on a pistol AR makes it a rifle (if you touch it to your shoulder).
    So you would have to go by rifle cartridge spec.

Not using it as a stock, and keeping the total firearm length under the max limit for handgun...........go by handgun spec.

Can go SBR for deer in IN. Think the law changed not long ago........SBR in handgun form, handgun cartridge spec, in rifle form rifle cartridge spec.
    Used to be SBR in handgun or rifle form, had to go by rifle cartridge spec. State said "once a rifle, always a rifle".

Now IIRC form dictates cartridge (since SBR can exist in either).

I still think a 7600 Remington made into handgun to be cool. Gotta buy a couple of Leupolds and then maybe think about something different.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I would not hunt with a Sig brace handgun, in handgun cartridge spec, and put the brace to my shoulder.
    Should anybody else think it acceptable for IN deer hunting, please video the hunt and put it on Youtube.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    SBR w/ stock has to conform to rifle cartridge restrictions.
    SBR w/ the stock removed has to conform with the handgun cartridge restrictions.

The total piece of equipment as is used in the field has to match one of those categories.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Other single shots to consider are the T/C Contenders and Encores. They cost a little more initially, but the barrel selection dwarfs all of the other makers.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    I found a Ruger 77/44 with a Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 scope mounted. The inly thing I found wrong is the front sight blade was broken off. It can be replaced if I ever need to. They are wanting $680 plus tax for it. I walked away to think on it. Wasn't ready to buy right away but if the price is right I might go back to get it. Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I found a Ruger 77/44 with a Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 scope mounted. The inly thing I found wrong is the front sight blade was broken off. It can be replaced if I ever need to. They are wanting $680 plus tax for it. I walked away to think on it. Wasn't ready to buy right away but if the price is right I might go back to get it. Thoughts?

since the gun alone runs around $600 alone.. so the gun + scope might be worth it.. the sight can be replaced..

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    The 450 Bushmaster would be my choice . A 44 will definitely get the job done but the 450 shoots basically the same size and weight projectile but at about 1000fps faster using factory Hornady ammo . The range and knock down power on the 450 are far superior to anything you have listed in your original post except for maybe the 458 .

The 450 ammo can be bought fairly reasonable , I have bought it for under $30/box .

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    450 Bushmaster runs $1.40-1.60 per round depending where you pick-up the ammo. Midway USA runs specials on the uppers periodically. Fun to shoot, great platform. Upper, lower and decent scope and mount can be had for $1,000. :yesway::yesway:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I went with a Tromix 458 upper. I like it, I am now set up to reload it, but were I to go back, I think I would go 450. I bought 458 for reliability in cycling in the AR, versatility in bullets, and the ability to reload. As it is.....regarding those 3 points, unless 450 owners aren't telling the truth, I don't really hear of anyone having problems with their 450. I don't really find the large selection of bullets that I thought i might. It will cost me the same to reload 458 as these guys are saying they are paying for factory 450. I am not sure that the ballistics of the 450 aren't superior either.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    I agree. I took a deer this year with my Ruger 77 / .357 using 158 grain Jacketed Soft Point Flat Nose by Federal. I have been thinking of getting into reloading. What type of reloads do you use in your Ruger 77/ .357?

180 grain Hornady XTP is what I reload for my 77/357, Marlin 1894c, and GP-100 revolver. I prefer the 180 grain bullet for hunting with a .357. I have killed 9 deer and one coyote with that load with great results.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    You drilled your 77/357?

They make these.......dunno if it fits height wise for the little 77's

Item Information At NewEnglandCustomGun.com

Edit, guess it does with taller front

Ruger 77/357, 77/44, and 77/22 Sight Options

Lol! I got the idea to join this forum after your posts on HNI. I see lots of activity here so this was a good idea.

Yeah I had my 77/357 drilled and tapped by a gunsmith for an XS ghost ring sight. It is threaded to accept peep sight apertures so I can easily add or remove them to suit my needs. I had to get a taller front sight to make this work. I like this better than a scope because I can work the bolt much faster. A scope kind of gets in the way of the bolt and I don't plan on shooting over 100 yards with this particular rifle. This and the trigger job I had done makes it a fine little rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, 2 buds had scoped 77/44s (both with Leupolds).
    Never did shoot super good, and the proximity of bolt handle...........they sold 'em.

The little rifles indeed are handy, and going with taller rings would screw that up.

A small dot sight or peep would keep the little 77's super handy :)

I could put a NECG peep on my #1 RSI.........but being .243 I think it needs a scope.
    If I'm gonna run a peep sighted .44 I'll stick with my dads Ruger auto.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    I ended up not buying the 77/44. I am going to keep my eyes open for a good deal on something else for the time being.

Top Bottom