• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    A little over a year ago, I built an AR in .458 Socom. I have really enjoyed this caliber. I am planning a Bear Hunting trip in the fall of 2016, and I have decided to go to Canada. I really wanted to take my .458 Socom, but from what I can tell, I would not be able to take a semi auto rifle into Canada. :noway:

So, I could take my 12 gauge, or my Remington 700 in .308, or I could use this as a great excuse to build a Remington 700 in .458 Socom.:yesway:

I ordered a barrel from SBR about 12 days ago. It arrived today.

IMG_0965.jpg
    SBR did a great job, and I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly it came. Tomorrow, I will be ordering the Remington 700 Action. I will likely have the barrel threaded. Once that is done and the barrel is mounted and headspace is good, then I will decide what stock I want. I'll post a picture or two as parts come in. I am really looking forward to this build!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I liked the SOCOM so much, I put together a savage short action to deer hunt with. Eventually I plan on hog hunting with it too. Recoil is next to nothing. With a bolt gun you can use different powders too.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I liked the SOCOM so much, I put together a savage short action to deer hunt with. Eventually I plan on hog hunting with it too. Recoil is next to nothing. With a bolt gun you can use different powders too.

I was curious about what loads people are using with bolt guns. Care to share what load works for your bolt gun? I Should have my receiver by Tuesday, so it's still going to be awhile before I load any ammo for it. But I am interested in what people are having success with.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Great idea.
    As a thought, your .308 should be plenty for bear, as long as you're hunting the smallest (black) of the three species in North America.
    However, far be it for me to talk a guy out of building a really cool bolt action of his own.
    Pics once it's done, please!
    More pics if you get a bear with it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you are already running a SOCOM in a AR platform, chances are you have visited the 458SOCOMforum.com. There is a ton of good load data on there for just about any and every type of bullet you can think of. I am running the same loads that I have loaded for my AR. All of my loads are with H110 powder... For now. I have 300 gr. JHPs, 325 gr. lead RNFPs with gas checks, and 325 gr. FTX loads. I recently picked up some 405 gr. Remington RNSPs to load and play with.

I was curious about what loads people are using with bolt guns. Care to share what load works for your bolt gun? I Should have my receiver by Tuesday, so it's still going to be awhile before I load any ammo for it. But I am interested in what people are having success with.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    If you are already running a SOCOM in a AR platform, chances are you have visited the 458SOCOMforum.com. There is a ton of good load data on there for just about any and every type of bullet you can think of. I am running the same loads that I have loaded for my AR. All of my loads are with H110 powder... For now. I have 300 gr. JHPs, 325 gr. lead RNFPs with gas checks, and 325 gr. FTX loads. I recently picked up some 405 gr. Remington RNSPs to load and play with.

Thanks DocIndy. I spend a decent amount of time reading over at 458socomforum.com. They have been really helpful there. For my AR, I'm using 300 gr. TTSX with H4198. I wanted to use H110, but I couldn't find any when I finished my AR build, so I have stuck with the H4198. Hopefully, I can get my hands on some H110 soon. I will start out using the same load that I use with my AR, but I assume I can probably work up something that is better suited for the bolt gun. I have a little bit of time before I have to worry about that though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This really will be cool! Be sure and post pictures of the process and not just the final product. If you make a new thread for it give us a link here incase we miss it somehow!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Thanks DocIndy. I spend a decent amount of time reading over at 458socomforum.com. They have been really helpful there. For my AR, I'm using 300 gr. TTSX with H4198. I wanted to use H110, but I couldn't find any when I finished my AR build, so I have stuck with the H4198. Hopefully, I can get my hands on some H110 soon. I will start out using the same load that I use with my AR, but I assume I can probably work up something that is better suited for the bolt gun. I have a little bit of time before I have to worry about that though.

I just put my savage in a new composite stock from stockade gunstocks. I will be glass bedding it and having it painted before next season. I plan on hunting with it for sure. I haven't run the TTSX since they cost so darn much. Both of the deer I shot with my AR didn't complain about the 325 gr FTX that put them down! Let me know if you need some H110... I have a couple extra pounds. What are your plans for glass?

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I just put my savage in a new composite stock from stockade gunstocks. I will be glass bedding it and having it painted before next season. I plan on hunting with it for sure. I haven't run the TTSX since they cost so darn much. Both of the deer I shot with my AR didn't complain about the 325 gr FTX that put them down! Let me know if you need some H110... I have a couple extra pounds. What are your plans for glass?

Wow! Thanks for the offer of some H110. I am interested. I don't have 50 posts yet, so I can't PM. If you can PM me an email address or contact info, I would be interested in what you want for it. As far as glass goes, I have Leupold 3x9's on my lever action and my .458 Socom AR. Those are my two deer rifles. I will probably do the same on the bolt gun. I have been really happy with the Leupold, and I think 3x9 is more than adequate for a 200 yard or less gun. I am open to suggestions though. I used to hunt with a Bushnell, but I noticed the Leupold did a lot better in the dawn/dusk Horus with lower light.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I have some good news and some bad news....
    First the bad news. After researching the laws in Canada, and recalculating minimum barrel length, I realize my 18" barrel is 1/2" too short to be legal in Canada. The night before I ordered the barrel, I did the math, based on my memory of how to convert Centimeters to Inches. I came up with 18". Great! Today, I used the conversion app on my IPhone, just to double check, and I realized I made a mistake. The barrel would need to be 18.5" to be legal in Canada! :xmad: So I am 1/2 in short... Go on, make your jokes... Wait, I'll start... Sometimes, all it takes is an extra half inch... Anyway, flash hiders are not legal in Canada, but breaks are. It doesn't look like a break is considered when measuring barrel length in Canada, even if soldered on. Anyone with a great idea, that has experience getting a rifle into Canada? I'm probably going to make a phone call or two, but it seems like I won't be taking the .458 into Canada.

The the good news....
    1. My Remington 700 action I ordered will be in on Tuesday.

2. My wife told me tonight, that she thinks I deserve to go Bear hunting this year, and not next year. I either have an awesome wife, or she really wants me to get eaten by a Bear. :dunno:

3. I'm gonna have a freakin Remington 700 in .458 Socom!:rockwoot:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have some good news and some bad news....
    First the bad news. After researching the laws in Canada, and recalculating minimum barrel length, I realize my 18" barrel is 1/2" too short to be legal in Canada. The night before I ordered the barrel, I did the math, based on my memory of how to convert Centimeters to Inches. I came up with 18". Great! Today, I used the conversion app on my IPhone, just to double check, and I realized I made a mistake. The barrel would need to be 18.5" to be legal in Canada! :xmad: So I am 1/2 in short... Go on, make your jokes... Wait, I'll start... Sometimes, all it takes is an extra half inch... Anyway, flash hiders are not legal in Canada, but breaks are. It doesn't look like a break is considered when measuring barrel length in Canada, even if soldered on. Anyone with a great idea, that has experience getting a rifle into Canada? I'm probably going to make a phone call or two, but it seems like I won't be taking the .458 into Canada.

The the good news....
    1. My Remington 700 action I ordered will be in on Tuesday.

2. My wife told me tonight, that she thinks I deserve to go Bear hunting this year, and not next year. I either have an awesome wife, or she really wants me to get eaten by a Bear. :dunno:

3. I'm gonna have a freakin Remington 700 in .458 Socom!:rockwoot:

My cousin bobby did a bear hunt in Canada years ago. he had a great time. I am sure you will too. the barrel issue sucks. I wish I had a ideal for you. you could always resell the barrel you ordered. And go longer. I just don't know how much you will loose :( But to make a trip to Canada I'd do it.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    My cousin bobby did a bear hunt in Canada years ago. he had a great time. I am sure you will too. the barrel issue sucks. I wish I had a ideal for you. you could always resell the barrel you ordered. And go longer. I just don't know how much you will loose :( But to make a trip to Canada I'd do it.

For now, I plan on taking my Remington 700 in .308 to Canada. It has a 20" barrel. I really wanted to use a .458 Socom, just because I really like the caliber, but oh well. The problem is, I only know of one company that is making 700 barrels with a real .458 Socom reamer. That is SBR. They only offer it in an 18" barrel. I may call them Monday to see if they would make me a 20" barrel. Then I could sell the 18". I will likely just build this as is, and use it for deer hunting in Indiana. I think I will sleep on it for now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just a thought here, but maybe you could get an unreamed barrel blank with a .458 bore of at least 18.5" as required in Canada, then take it to a talented local gunsmith with a .458 Socom reamer to take care of the chambering for you so that you could go ahead and screw in the barrel and set the headspace yourself.
    Dunno how many local 'smiths have .458 Socom reamers, so maybe you'd have to purchase one from Brownell's or another vendor.
    I suppose it all has more than anything to do with your budget and the availability of guys who could chamber your blank for you.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf

Firearm Definitions

A non-restricted firearm is:

An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below as being restricted or prohibited.

A restricted firearm is:

A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
    A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
    A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches).

Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

A prohibited firearm is:
    A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
    A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
    A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length.
    A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more.
    An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
    Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

I am not aware of issues from customers that purchased 18" bolt rifle barrels with the intention of hunting in Canada, including several with "unreal" 458 chambers.

Might be worth a call. Canadian Firearms Program at 1 800 731-4000 in Canada and the USA, (506) 624-5380 outside Canada and the USA.

Top Bottom