• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well, I never thought or hoped I would have to write about an experience here in this forum but here it is. After a very fun night celebrating our daughters sweet sixteenth birthday last night it was time to hit the rack. We had not been in bed ten minutes when I heard a truck slowing down in front of my house. I know what my neighbors trucks sound like and this was a stranger plus if we go to any of our neighbors at night, a phone call preceeds the visit, especially at 11 pm.

I got out of bed and proceeded to see this truck stop and then pull in my drive and set for about 5 minutes. The truck then left slowly and turned down the road just east of my house about 50 yards away. He then hit the gas and started swerving and sliding up the road to my neighbors about a mile away, turned around did it again back down the road and spun around again and headed back towards my neighbors...by this time I had called 911 and the dispatcher stated they had another call before mine with the same vehicle. Well, on the return trip back towards my neighbors I see the truck make a hard left and stop....hard....He was stuck and stuck good in a plowed field. I again, called 911 and let the dp know that and proceeded to settle down and watch the show.

Well, after waiting for about 10 minutes the trucks lights went out. I was pretty sure there were multiple occupants because I kept seeing one or the other taillight go out like someone was running around the truck.

Again, I called 911 and told them that and that the trucks lights were out and wasnt sure where the driver or passengers might go. I had no sooner hung up when my neighbor called and said to watch and see if they would be heading his way or mine. Within two minutes I saw two strangers run up my drive, I told my wife to go upstairs with the kids and cover the stairwell and I will be where I can cover the back door if someone comes in. Well they started beating on the back door, the Lab was barking but I didnt answer, sorry, its 11:15, poor lighting conditions for me and an unknown person outside..sorry for your luck....

After about 5 minutes the knocking stopped and I saw not 2 but 3 people run down the drive and back down the road. Called 911 again and let them know what had happened. By this time my buddy and his brother had made it down towards my house and had all three stopped, literally, doors open and rifles pointed at these three at the intersection. I called him and asked if they were ok and he asked who it was. He then told me it was three teenagers that we know from the neighborhood a mile west of us...

LEO's had gotten on the scene by this time and I was riding with my neighbors down to the truck. The deputies were making the kids walk back to the truck and they were a sorry sight, hands in pockets and heads down walking in that nasty ice/snow/wind last night...When we got down to the truck it was buried up the the axles about 20 yards out in the field, two wheel drive, it wasnt going anywhere..We all explained to the deputies what had happened and that we where the callers and what we had done. He understood and figured that one of us had pointed a gun at them when he was updated that the boys were running down the road. I pointed out to the deputy that I had not pointed a gun at them but was inside and ready to defend my family if they came through the door like I thought they might. He had no problem with that and fully understood our postion.

At that point I proceeded to rail on the two boys that I knew pretty well from when they were in Cub Scouts with me and proceeded to tell them how damn close they came to getting shot or killed for their stupidity. Both of their eye's got about silver dollar size when I said that....After that we got an EMS call for our department out home and had to leave....I spoke with the deputy this AM and he told me he had to turn around and not laugh as the chewing I was giving these boys because he wanted to but wasnt going to stop me once I started.....

To be certain..I was scared...I make no bones that I did not want to take a life but to see someone outside your back door pounding on it and telling your wife to go upstairs and prepare to defend herself and your kids...a very scary proposition. I am very thankful that this turned out all right on all parts and hopefully the kids learned a lesson...I sure did...:patriot:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Where is the justification for pointing a firearm at another individual? I don't see it. If someone bangs on my door unannounced; surely I will be armed, but pointing without a threat? :dunno:

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Read it again..I NEVER pointed my gun at anyone but was in a position to defend myself if needed...

Let me give you a little bit more background on where I live...Very rural area, as stated, my neighbors are a mile either side of me, 9 miles from the county seat and the LEO's were 10 plus minutes out, luckily all TWO that were on duty last night covering 60 square miles of county were not involved in another incident......

Now, if you want to QB from where you are, please do, I work with LEO's on a regular basis and ran this by the ones at my full time FD employer this AM, all stated, I did right with my situation by both keeping 911 informed of what I saw and preparing to protect my family and I if needed...Guess YOU just had to be there....

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't get me wrong, I think YOU did everything correctly. There was a part in the story where rifles were pointed. That is all I was questioning.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Let me give some more info...

Huge meth problems and big known theft and drug ring.....

Not scary, actually quite beautiful when its not snowing like a freak or icy !!!!

When we moved out home 6 years ago, my neighbors (not the same ones that helped out last night) asked me one question when we moved in..."Do you have any guns?"

I replied yes and why..his reply..."Well, the sheriff is about 30 minutes away and sometimes we have to handle problems out here ourself before they get here.....oh, and welcome to the neighborhood!!"

As far as the rifle pointing..Yes, you could say that was an extreme move but all my friends saw was three people running out of my drive and running down the road away from my house and he had not heard from me until I called...

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Whatever else, You seem to have an outstanding opportunity to create a QRF with your neighbor. Had it been something less obvious than a truck though, I doubt he would have noticed.

Maybe worth establishing a radio/intercom/cell phone procedure between you two, if the area is that questionable.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

Not scary, actually quite beautiful when its not snowing like a freak or icy !!!!

When we moved out home 6 years ago, my neighbors (not the same ones that helped out last night) asked me one question when we moved in..."Do you have any guns?"

I replied yes and why..his reply..."Well, the sheriff is about 30 minutes away and sometimes we have to handle problems out here ourself before they get here.....oh, and welcome to the neighborhood!!"

As far as the rifle pointing..Yes, you could say that was an extreme move but all my friends saw was three people running out of my drive and running down the road away from my house and he had not heard from me until I called...
    Glad it turned out ok , and Happy Birthday to your Daughter!

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

This is the case where I live as well. We call the sheriff and then the neighbors. The neighbors will always be there long before the police. We have had trespassers and break ins at both of our homes so we take a proactive defence around here.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    You did fine. Idiots careening down the road, then beating on your door aren't people to be trusted. They're lucky that having a rifle pointed at them was all that happened.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good job bft131

When thinking things over AFTER the fact, yes there are some things that a person might change. It sounds like you/your neighbors did well.:)
    I am sure that some young kids learned from this as well
    Is this what Hillary ment when she said "It takes a Village to raise a Child"?:dunno::ar15:

Top Bottom