• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I hear good things as well.............To me it seems too good to be true; but that may just be my prejudices showing!!

But I went for the Springfield when I made a similar decision.

Let us know how yours does over the long haul.............

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The frame, barrel and slide are all the same as are used on the STI Spartan.

This is why I go to the trouble of installing Wilson springs and polishing up the internals.

I've heard it said that a true fighting gun is not fancy on the outside. The more I find what works for me and what doesn't, the more I find that to be true.

The sights for example: I point shoot or index quite a bit. If I'm far enough to actually draw a sight picture, I'll need it to be fine.

I am going to have to polish the breech face though; it has failed to slide up a total of twice in 210 rounds. I know it's still breaking in, but still...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Josh, saw your post over at the 1911 forums too. Small world!

Those guns impress the heck out of me. The RIA guns are a great value and they work. The biggest downside to the 2 models you were considering are the old style GI sights. I honestly believe that all the old WW II horror stories about 45's not being able to hit the 'broad side of a barn' are related the tiny nub of a front sight combined with the small rear sight. But other than the sights, the GI models from RIA and SA are excellent, reliable guns that you can depend on for carry.

Not sure if anyone has looked inside a vintage GI gun but they are typically rough, only polished and honed exactly where they need to be polished and honed. The genius of the Browning design is that the gun functions even if the parts look like they were whittled out of driftwood by a 8 year old with a dull pocket knife. Take a look at a newly minted gun and what you find is completely different, the new guns are often polished or at least cleaned up inside and out with minimal milling marks. But also look at the tolerances of the new guns and you will see how tight they are . . . I think that is one reason some of them are not very reliable until they've been reworked or shot a lot! Some of the gun makers are making the guns so tight they won't shoot and the 1911's are then getting a bad rep because of those highstrung guns.

What you have should be a dependable gun you can bet your lift on!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    No choice. It was tearing the hell out of my hand. There is actually rust on the grip safety from my blood.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks for this report! What makes this a "no nonsense" pistol for you. What do you mean by that.

Enjoy!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    fine pistol. the bobbed hammer, though old school, is a more than reasonable fix for hammer bite. use to be all we could do. no real need to go with beavertail since you like the look of the standard grip safety. you could get a commander style hammer and relieve the grip safety you have now. i usually rough this in with a rotary tool, then finish up with a round file. then i use a #2 swiss flat to break the edges of the hammer and the relief cut in the grip safety. a little cold blue and you're in business.

as for the breech face, smooth is better, but the culprit might be the extractor tension. you can also radius and polish the bottom of the hook for a smoother transition.

all and all a fine acquisition.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I love my RIA, great gun and reasonably priced.
    All I did to mine was add Hogue wrap around rubber grips.
    My hands sweat so the Hogue grips was a great addition for me.

All the horror stories I heard were from Viet Nam vets who were shooting pistols from WWII and Korea.
    Those 1911's were long overdue for retirement and should never have been issued to combat troops.

High Standard makes a 1911 for the same price $349 Wholesale and makes a Compact for $389.
    I'm planning to buy a Compact model in the next month or two.

If you want better sights the Tactical model is only $50 more and has better sights and a skeleton trigger.

SOG has started carring a new brand of 1911's "American Classic" for $329 (Standard) and $359 (Deluxe).
    I don't know where they are made and haven't heard any reviews.
    Might be worth doing some research.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Congrats on the RIA, great firearms. I have shot a friends full size and really liked it, and then his brother in law got a semi compact version and likes it just as well. Extremely reliable, the semi compact version replaced a colt that would not shoot three in a row even after being worked on several times. The RIA cost less than half and worked perfectly!

I have looked at getting a compact "tactical" version of the RIA myself, though I have never seen one in person it would be my choice.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Congrats on the RIA, great firearms. I have shot a friends full size and really liked it, and then his brother in law got a semi compact version and likes it just as well. Extremely reliable, the semi compact version replaced a colt that would not shoot three in a row even after being worked on several times. The RIA cost less than half and worked perfectly!

I have looked at getting a compact "tactical" version of the RIA myself, though I have never seen one in person it would be my choice.
    They had a couple of the compacts at Bradis this past weekend I think.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Here is my RIA. It is there "tactical" version. Best thing about it is the trigger, nice and crisp 4 to 5 lbs. I really like it now but when I bought it I had a lot of problems.
    Actaully came with a bent FL guide rod wouldn't hit near POA not that that was the guide rod I just thought that can't be good.
    Changed out guide rod. Changed Barrel to a clack match bareel and that change corrected POA by 8" also had to change out the slide stop, It must have been soft it bent within 500 rounds.
    Also updated the sights since I bought is well, Didn't have to but what the heck.
    I think whole problem with this gun as new was just in the barrel being bad.

Great shooting gun now but sucked as new. RIA said I could send it back to them but I just fixed it myself with better parts than they would have probably used.

This to has become my no frills basic defense gun it eats up the 230 gr JHP's like nobodys business:)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yup. That's why God saw fit to send an extra power Wilson fp spring my way. ;)

After reading that post, I think he has a bad sear or disconnecter. Mine started following when I was breaking it in, and then after a couple doubles I packed it to the gunsmith who's teaching me. He's not been well and is old, but put the sear in a fitting, started in with a small file, and all the while he was mumbling about badly fitted parts. It was a five minute job for him to fix, and I'm not sure how he did what he did. He wasn't in the mood to teach me today.

But, the trigger is a little heavier (a good thing for me), much crisper, and no longer follows.

Josh <><

Top Bottom