• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was going to post this shortly after it happened, but life got in the way. I was reminded of it again after reading the "somebody in my house is a liar and a thief (subtitled: I'm going senile)" thread.

I was getting ready to head out for some errands. I run the belt through the loops, stop at the 2nd to last one, thread the belt through the holster. THen I grab the holster and grip of the gun together to slide it back on the belt for better placement. My hand slips off the holster, slips off the grip, and finally grabs the mag (it's a 17-round mag in a Glock 26 so it extends a few inches beyond the grip). Since my arm momentum was still moving backward and my grip was on nothing but the mag, the mag took the full force of the pull.....and came right out of the mag well!!!!! :eek:

It wasn't locked in :facepalm:

OMFG. How long have I been walking around with a mag not shoved to and locked in?

I guess I'll be checking to see if the gun is loaded after all. :n00b:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Check your magazine catch and the notch on the magazine the catch engages. These can become rounded over time and a little inadvertent pressure on the magazine release can allow it to disengage. I filed down the magazine release on my G29 so it doesn't stick out quite as much for just that reason, and about every 2-3 years I replace the primary magazine with a new one and use the older ones for range time. I just replaced the magazine release on my 14 year old G29 EDC because the catch on the inside was rounded (it's a simple repair).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Are you implying my butt is so big that it reaches around to my 2 o'clock and depresses the mag release button? :n00b:

Check your magazine catch and the notch on the magazine the catch engages. These can become rounded over time and a little inadvertent pressure on the magazine release can allow it to disengage. I filed down the magazine release on my G29 so it doesn't stick out quite as much for just that reason, and about every 2-3 years I replace the primary magazine with a new one and use the older ones for range time. I just replaced the magazine release on my 14 year old G29 EDC because the catch on the inside was rounded (it's a simple repair).

It's an older Gen1 mag which makes it a very tight fit in the mag well which requires more than the standard slap on the bottom of the mag to seat it. (It seems to be a thing for Gen1 mags to be non-drop-free mags apparently.) I did several function tests immediately following the "what the...." moment. As long as I applied enough pressure to overcome the resistance of the tight fit, the mag seated and locked just fine. I even tried pulling it out in case it was a matter of which direction the force was applied. All good.

I just think it was a blonde moment for somebody around here and it didn't get seated properly at one point in time.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My Keltec P3AT has a tendency to release the mag also. I carry in a rear pocket so now I'm always reaching in and making sure it's locked in place. About once a week or more it's come loose. It's my "Plan B" hideaway so I've gotten used to the routine

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I had a gun that I found a few times with a loose mag. Sent it and the two mags in and they fixed for free and returned it with three mags about a week later.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I use the wrong hand, so my mag gets released occasionally by bumping things, therefore I check it frequently.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Been there, done that. Not a good feeling is it?
    I had to make a "divot" in the leather on mty Kholster because it was hitting my mag release. :(

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Been there, done that. Not a good feeling is it?
    I had to make a "divot" in the leather on mty Kholster because it was hitting my mag release. :(

It was horrible. I actually had a very fleeting cold sweat moment.

In my case, I'm about 99% sure it's not accidental mag release because it's extremely difficult to get to the mag release in the Serpa holster. The gun never leaves the holster. It comes off the belt in the holster, goes on the belt in the holster, sits on the TV stand/night stand/kitchen counter/computer desk in the holster.

Still. I shudder to think of the what-ifs.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It was horrible. I actually had a very fleeting cold sweat moment.

In my case, I'm about 99% sure it's not accidental mag release because it's extremely difficult to get to the mag release in the Serpa holster. The gun never leaves the holster. It comes off the belt in the holster, goes on the belt in the holster, sits on the TV stand/night stand/kitchen counter/computer desk in the holster.

Still. I shudder to think of the what-ifs.

Well, the bright side is you learned a lesson, as I did, to check, re-check, and check again if needed.

Lucky for us we both learned the lesson during a "safe" moment..

Top Bottom