My Old Shotgun, formal ID made!!!! (pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As I'm sure many of you may remember, I posted (a few times, actually) about an old shotgun that came to me after my grandfather passed away several years ago.

It's of a vintage and condition to make formal ID quite difficult!

BUT, with the work of some folks across the pond, an ID has been made!

The folks at Photos d'armes de collection, a group of firearms enthusiasts/hobbiests like delving into the older stuff, both to research origins AND in restoration. I think their speciality is Belgian firearms; as we all know Belgium was THE PLACE for the arms manufacturing and trade industries for SEVERAL decades (from the 1800's through WWI).

And since I was able to to determine on my own that my shotgun was of Belgian origin, I thought I'd inquire to the experts for help!

Help me they did!

Below are some photos of my shotgun and the formal ID. Keep in mind that the writer of the ID doesn't speak English as a first language, some of the grammar and syntax reflect that.

picresized_th_1226712160_PB140037.jpg

picresized_th_1226712292_PB140038.jpg

picresized_th_1226712462_PB140039.jpg

picresized_th_1226712618_PB140042.jpg
    PB080044.jpg

PB080050.jpg

PB080059.jpg

It is about a rifle doubles of hunting.
    The juxtaposed barrels are smooth, of gauge 18,2 mm.
    Locks are of retrograde type “behind” and key of opening between the external dogs.
    The stock in wood (walnut tree?) is cut way pistol.
    The buttplate seems to be in moulded horn.
    The punches are those of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:
    ELG on star in an oval: final acceptance, of use of 1846 to 1893.
    S under star: countermark of the controller post 1877.
    EL in English letters: provisional test, of use of 1852 to our days.
    Peron: inspection post 1853.
    18, 2: gauge in mm, of use of 1889 to our days. (My note- as near as I can tell, 18.2mm bore diameter is somewhere in the 'hood of 12-13gauge.)
    Period of manufacture: between 1889 and 1893.
    The other marks are:
    NF: it is about the mark of NEUMANN Frères and Co mechanical factories of firearms, registered voters with the proofhouse of 1860 to 1863 follow-ups of NEUMANN Frères registers of 1863 to 1924. The company had its seat in Liege street Saint Remy 15.

In 1924 the company changes corporate name to become NEUMANN & Co registered with the proofhouse of 1924 to 1962. (See our site)

Letters N in a circle, GR. and AD are unknown for me; it probably acts of marks of subcontractors.

The buttplate in moulded horn presents the image of a daguet and again interlaced letters NF of Neumann Frères.

Géo FISHER: is undoubtedly the mark affixed subsequently by a detailing arms manufacturer.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    nah... no value assessment. The company made THOUSANDS of the shotguns for export. Mine's nothing special. Plus, at some point, it's had some "homer" gunsmithing done to it. I'm pretty sure that one of the firing pins was lost and a new one fashioned out of a nail or a tack.

Plus, even if it had a tight lockup, which it doesn't, I'd be hard pressed to find ammunition that the old gal could handle.

It's a conversation piece and an heirloom... Perhaps It'll some day hang in my Man Room. If I ever have a Man Room... :)

-J-

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Very nice. Would look good above a fireplace mantel with a plaque engraved to show origins and such!

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    There's an auction coming up soon that has a Belgian sxs going up on the block. They didn't go into detail about it though.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    That is awesome. I have an old W H Hamilton double that has some of the same punch marks. I always wondered what they meant. How much did it cost ot have that info sent? I may be interested in doing the same. I got mine from my great great grandfather. No, it is NEVER for sale.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That is awesome. I have an old W H Hamilton double that has some of the same punch marks. I always wondered what they meant. How much did it cost ot have that info sent? I may be interested in doing the same. I got mine from my great great grandfather. No, it is NEVER for sale.

I contacted a guy from the littlegun.be website about IDing some proof marks, he said that he'd need plenty of big photographs to work with, I took/send the photos of the proofmarks, few days later I had my ID!

They post the ID's on their Identification page; costs 5 Euros to have a 6-month access to the ID page, however.

However, it may or may not be true that there's a way to access the ID page without spending $9. :whistle:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah, the Geo Fisher is the grand-daddy of the 3 I got from him; the Winchester 1897 I have was born in 1912. The newest shotgun of the bunch is a Mossberg 185-D 20ga. bolt action. I'll never know when it was made (no serial numbers...), but my dad remembers pappaw using it when my dad was a boy. Dad just turned 64 this year... So it's around 50 years old, I'd rekon.

Top Bottom