• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've read a bunch of old threads to get some pointers on setting up my turret press to my liking. I got my Lee Safety Prime Feed and Auto-Disk Powder Measure to day and hooked everything up. I must say, I am VERY impressed! I can take tumbled piece of .45 brass and produce a useable round in about ten seconds.

It's not a progressive, but it's far better than the anniversary kit I started with. By better, I mean enjoyable for me. The auto-disk powder measure puts out 4.7 grains every time! I would prefer 4.5, but I'm still learning how to use the disks.

Now, I can see this being a bit of a pain when I have to switch to a different caliber, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with some great advice. :yesway:

IMG073.jpg

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Now, I can see this being a bit of a pain when I have to switch to a different c

Que, for no more than those Lee's cost, just get yourself another press/set up.
    Don't change dies=Change press..Bill.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I've got the Turret presss myself minus the Auto Disk. I do all my pistol calibers on it.
    I'd like to figure out a way to hook up a little dandy to it.
    I tried the Pro 1000 and sent it back to Lee, I had nothing but trouble with it and became very frustrated.
    If it wasn't dropping primers correctly it was dropping powder at different weights.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I finally broke down and ordered pretty much the exact same set up yesterday. Got the confirmation e mail from UPS that it was already in route last night. Ordered from Lee Factory Sales. You will have to share your "magic recipe" with me. Not the one that FTFs all the time....the good one...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You can tweak the autodisks for intermediate throws by using a little sandpaper to open the next smaller hole a little bit. You can also buy the double disk kit and stack smaller ones to add together, but I'm not as fond of that for smaller pistol throws.

Your time is about spot on, I can do 5-6 pistol rounds a minute with manual index and manual primer placement on mine.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Get their adjustable charge-bar. I have one, and love it for my pistol reloading.

Lee Auto-Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar - MidwayUSA

The problem I had with the disks was disassembling the powder reservoir from the unit. After a dozen or so changes, the plastic threads stripped out, and i had to replace it.....so I got the charge bar and haven't disassembled it since I installed it. AND it's adjustable!

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Have the same setup, but in a Classic. Easy to make LOTS of 9mm quickly. I just have to be careful not to overdo it or my tendinitis will act up. Sometimes I switch the handle side to even out the muscle group usage. I have some spare die holders so I can switch calibers just by switching the holder plates. I leave the dies installed in their respective plates. Just have to move the powder measure, which is good since I will have to change the discs anyways.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Since someone brought up loading .308 with this setup, it begs the question. Is anyone successfully loading large rifle cartridges with the auto index installed? I've been thinking of upgrading \ adding another setup, but I absolutely need it to auto index with larger cartridges like the 30-06 or it won't be worth the effort.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Since someone brought up loading .308 with this setup, it begs the question. Is anyone successfully loading large rifle cartridges with the auto index installed? I've been thinking of upgrading \ adding another setup, but I absolutely need it to auto index with larger cartridges like the 30-06 or it won't be worth the effort.

I used to but decided I liked manual indexing better so I stopped.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Get their adjustable charge-bar. I have one, and love it for my pistol reloading.

Lee Auto-Disk Adjustable Powder Charge Bar - MidwayUSA

The problem I had with the disks was disassembling the powder reservoir from the unit. After a dozen or so changes, the plastic threads stripped out, and i had to replace it.....so I got the charge bar and haven't disassembled it since I installed it. AND it's adjustable!

^^^^This for small charges^^^^ +1 and buy extra turrets for each caliber

Top Bottom