• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    For those of you out there with AR .22 uppers...

DO NOT DRYFIRE THEM WITH AN EMPTY CHAMBER!!

I learned this lesson the hard in the past couple weeks as one too many empty-chamber dryfirings resulted in a busted firing pin spring. It was a 30 second fix, but not before shelling out $25 for a upper complete spring replacement.

I know it's tempting to pull that trigger, but if you simply cannot resist, do yourself a favor and buy a pack of .22 snap caps.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Other than a revolver I thought dry firing anything at all was a no no?
    No, actually any center-fire handgun (semi-auto or revolver) and all center-fire rifles made in the last 40-60 years are fine to "dry fire". Some antique weapons were made with non-inertia type firing pins (including revolvers) and can be damaged by dry firing. Almost all rim fires can suffer damage (although the newer one are far less likely and some even state it is harmless) due to the fact many allow the firing pin to strike the edge of the chamber when there is not a cartridge present. This can damage the end of the firing pin and either dent or raise a burr on the chamber face. The center-fire inertia type firing pin does not protrude from the bolt face when the hammer is down. These firing pins stop against a shoulder inside the bolt when fired and are designed so dry firing does not have any effect on the life of the pin or spring (and they cannot contact any other part of the firearm when cycled).

Top Bottom