• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    If I am online in email or a forum and see a reference to another thread or youtube I can't open it. My computer freezes and won't do anything with keyboard or mouse. Ctrl, Alt, Del is the only thing that works. I tried Sys Restore and that didn't help. Can anyone please advise?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    That does not sound good. Have you run a virus checker (lot of them around) and malware tool (Malwarebytes is what I use) to see if you've got some sort of infection on the machine?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    What browser are you using? I am having a similar issue for the last week on the computer in the bedroom. It is a hangup while watching YouTube. Between Firefox And it's plugincontainer.exe process, the CPU usage is 100%. There is nothing left for the machine so it hangs everything up. I am working on it but no progress as of yet. I am assuming it is from an automatic update of some sort being incompatible with firefox. Google chrome is not having the same problems YET...... I just started trying to sort it out however, and may find that other browsers are also doing this.

Lunch your task manager with the "performance" tab exposed so you can monitor your cpu usage, Then do whatever reproduces the event. See if the cpu usage is pegged at 100% or not. Use control/alt/delete to free up the task manager and switch it to the "processes" tab to see what processes are hogging all of the speed.

A google search reveals that the firefox/plugincontainer.exe issue is common and there are several ideas promoted to fix it....... Nothing has remedied the situation yet for me but I am working on it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I was having problems with my ASUS laptop (Windows 7). Every single youtube or other video would cause it to seize up after a couple of minutes. All I could do was hold the power button down until it shut off.

Since the problem manifested out of the blue, after using the laptop for quite a while, I figured it might be related to an update. So I "downgraded" to older drivers and the problem went away. I also disabled the auto-update feature in windows.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That does not sound good. Have you run a virus checker (lot of them around) and malware tool (Malwarebytes is what I use) to see if you've got some sort of infection on the machine?

I'd agree, download malwarebytes and scan the machine.

Also, as others have stated, check out the task manager and see if you are maxed out on CPU, memory, etc.

Top Bottom