• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    My first time in Washington D.C. My wife attended a dental conference so I went along for the ride as a little vacation since we haven't taken one in over two years.

Thursday afternoon:
    We arrive and our hotel is just three blocks North of the Whitehouse. We take a walk down to the Whitehouse. Not many people around however one guy is trying his best to stick his finger up his butt. Next a guy was sitting next to the fence and was yelling at everyone about his love life. Sticking this up that and all. I was walking by about a foot in front of him and said "congradulations dude". He didn't like that.

These types of people were everywhere. We walked over to the Capital but were 30 minutes late for the last tour. There were many more visible guards in full gear at the Capital but not many people around. Guards are stationed about every 20 yrds or so. We walked around the Capital perimeter. About half way down all of a sudden the capital police cars are running around with lights and sirens. I am walking by two guards and their radios are going nuts. The guards were talking about a ball game or something, not concerned. I asked what was going on. They said "oh just a guy with a gun at the end of the bldg". I said ok and just kept sauntering on. By their reactions I assume this happens a lot.

Were were there about 4 days. One day there are about 30 people waiting to cross the street. I am in the middle of the crowd with my wife. I have a Cabela's hat one. A guy works his way through the crowd and asks me where I got the hat. It just so happens I got it for free at a Tactical Training Seminar I attended there recently. I told him as much. He then goes on a 30 second rant about 911 finishing with "and the U.S. got what they deserved on 911" and he walked away quickly. I was stunned but turned and said to him loudly "I love you too!" He walked faster.

This next one really shouldn't bother me but it does. There were a lot of foreign visitors especially Asians at all the monuments. Now I couldn't care less if they come and visit however what does bother me is the rude behaviour. I guess it is a cultural thing but they are very very rude and obnoxious. By the third day I was getting a little upset especially when they would walk right into your path (walking toward you) and always expected me to get out of the way. I am 6'1" 240. Usually Polite and respectful but I was fed up and just stopped getting out of their way. Ever see a 5'3" skinny Asian bounce off a 6'1" 240lb guy? Kinda funny. They were very upset of course.

Arlington Cemetary:
    If you have never been I highly recommend it. The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier is excellent as is the wreath laying ceremony. There are signs everywhere saying these are hallowed grounds, be respectful and be quiet. Of course many are NOT but the cemetary personnel strictly enforce this and don't take any crap.. I loved it. While walking up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier some people were being loud and disrespectful, the park employee comes up and says" Read the sign and BE QUIET" they were quite offended. He said it again and I swear I heard him say Be Quiet and shut the (&((&(& up! lolol. I swear I heard it. It was everything I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

I did notice something or maybe it was just my imagination but on Sat. my wife had a CE class so I was killing time. I walked back down to the Whitehouse. There were several festivals going on being the weekend and the security perimeter at the back of the Whitehouse was pushed back. Anyway. The guards sure seemed to pay a lot more attention to a guy, by himself, casually walking around looking at the Whitehouse then when I was there with my wife. Felt the cameras and cross hairs on my back. LOLOLOL.

When we left we were sitting out in front of the hotel waiting for the Valet to bring the truck around. This guy walks by on the sidewalk fighting with his imaginary friend. It was very very funny. I don't know what his imaginary friend said to him but it really made him angry! lolol

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've been to Washington DC four times, I think. The first time was in 1973 and I was just passing through (landed at the DC MDI heliport for refuel). The second time was in 1989 when a few of us visited the Vietnam Memorial. The third time was 1995 and I was there for a conference (didn't see much of the city as I was busy). A couple years ago, the wife and I went to DC over the Labor Day weekend, strictly as tourists. There's a lot to see, but I spent the entire weekend with the feeling I had a target on my back.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This next one really shouldn't bother me but it does. There were a lot of foreign visitors especially Asians at all the monuments. Now I couldn't care less if they come and visit however what does bother me is the rude behaviour. I guess it is a cultural thing but they are very very rude and obnoxious. By the third day I was getting a little upset especially when they would walk right into your path (walking toward you) and always expected me to get out of the way. I am 6'1" 240. Usually Polite and respectful but I was fed up and just stopped getting out of their way. Ever see a 5'3" skinny Asian bounce off a 6'1" 240lb guy? Kinda funny. They were very upset of course.

I take it you've never been to Disney World?

For those who've been to the Magic Kingdom, they'll know exactly where I'm talking about. There are 2 tunnels you have to pass through once you get through the ticket gates to get to Main Street. The park just opened and there are a couple thousand people trying to get through these 2 tunnels that are about 25' wide each. One broad stops in the tunnel and started spraying sunblock on. You can't walk 25' in that place without someone cutting you off.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    The Korean War Memorial was very cool (as were all the memorials). Everything seemed so much smaller in person than on TV. The Whitehouse really is not very big.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Been to DC a couple of times. You are right about Arlington. Most people were quiet and reverent, but there are always some aholes who think rules and decorum don't apply to them. NP personnel told them to STFU when I was there, too.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

They were rude because they walked in front of you? Don't Americans do that too? I doubt they were that upset... it's like playing chicken, don't make eye contact or give any indication you notice them, and just walk straight ahead. They'll get out of your way.

It's not like they had their hands in your pockets trying to take your hard-earned money. THAT would be rude and obnoxious. (Good thing you didn't get into the Capitol and run into any congressmen!) :):

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I lived in and around DC in the late 90's. Great place to visit and live while you're young but damn expensive. I used to sit in the park across from the White House and watch the protests at lunch...great people watching! Arlington is a special place. When someone's being an a$$hat there I don't hesitate to speak up "quietly" myself. Hope you enjoyed the trip OP.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got to go to DC as a junior in high school...definitely the trip of a life time. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier(s) is truly a hallowed site. Even now when I watch the ceremony on tv, I choke up a little. I think my reaction would be the same as that park employees's.

As a kid from (then) a small town in Tennessee, that trip to the big city was an eye opener. The most vivid event I can recall similar to yours OP, was watching a several police cars chase down a car, surround it, and draw down on the driver...pretty impressive for a small town kid.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My DC visit was great. Went with my son's 8th grade class last year. Wife went with daughter's class last month. It was a great trip, this from a guy who hates other peoples kids and politicians with equal measure. We kept running into the same group of Chinese tourist, they were great. Kept wanting to be in all our group pictures and asking were we had been, where we were going next, what we liked and didn't.

The Secret Service guys at the White House were total douches, but I would be to if I had their job. The White House tour is so/so. The Capitol is cool as were all the Capitol police we encountered. We were there the same day as the Israeli prime minister so there were protesters and police everywhere. There was a HUGE Capitol policeman in full swat gear packing a black rifle that I didn't recognize who looked meaner than a bear. As we were walking past him, one kid jumped out of line right in front of him and asked to have his picture taken with him. The guy gave the kid a look that about made him pee himself, then smiled, grabbed the kid in a playful headlock and told his buddy to take the picture. Then it was on, he had kids crawling all over him like a jungle gym. His supervisor had to finally come over and break up the fun.

The war memorials are incredible, and as Blackhawk2001 said, especially the Korean Memorial at night.

There was a Marine veteran, who had served on Iwo Jima, at the Marine Corps War Memorial. He had taken it upon himself to write, publish and hand out some great pamphlets about the memorial and the battle for Iwo Jima. He sat out there every day in a fold up lawnchair, weather and health permitting, as the unofficial Marine Corps representative. My son talked to him for some time as I walked around. When I looked back over towards them, he stood up and hugged my son. When he walked back over to me, he was a little red eyed and I asked what that was all about. He said that he had started to get choked up talking to the old guy and when the old Marine asked why he explained that we had just lost his Great-Grandpa, who was also a WWII vet, and that talking to him reminded him of his Great-Grandpa. That about turned me into a blubbering idiot.

Then we boarded the bus and were off to the Holocaust Museum, not a real pick-me-up. Worth going to, but 8th graders are about the youngest kids who should be allowed in.

The National Cathedral is awesome. It's kinda far off the beaten path and with the crazy schedule that we were on, it seemed like a waste of a few hours but it was worth it.

The 911 Memorial outside the Pentagon is also worth the stop. It was extremely well done. We got a Pentagon tour which is really cool. The tour guides are incredible. They are all very young service men and women who walk backwards the whole time and manage not to run into a thing.

My biggest impression of the city was; how can the people who make their living running this country be surrounded by such awe inspiring history and yet choose to ignore it completely? It really made me angry for a long time after we got back when I would hear all the politicians and talking heads b!tching and bickering over whatever the issue of the day was. You just want to smack them upside the head and tell them to look out of their freakin window. Look at what those who came before you accomplished. You don't have to a better job, you just have to not ruin it.

Wow, I think I just wrote a book:dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My biggest impression of the city was; how can the people who make their living running this country be surrounded by such awe inspiring history and yet choose to ignore it completely? It really made me angry for a long time after we got back when I would hear all the politicians and talking heads b!tching and bickering over whatever the issue of the day was. You just want to smack them upside the head and tell them to look out of their freakin window. Look at what those who came before you accomplished. You don't have to a better job, you just have to not ruin it.

I would say that they think they are better than those who came before them and completely lack respect for those who made it possible for them to be where they are. After all, Obama [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] says he is the fourth best president in history (I would speculate that he THINKS he is the best).

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I went about a month ago, purely as a tourist. We hit Arlington first and spent 8 hours there. Awesome experience. It really sends chills down your spine.

The same night around 10PM we went down the mall and hit the monuments. I think seeing the monuments at night is the best way, I've got excellent pictures. Not much crowd to irritate you.

The last day we stuck around we went to the National Archives to see the documents in person. It was one of the most memorable moments I'll remember. DC is an excellent place to visit.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Have only been to DC once, for less then a month as I had been medevaced to Walter Reed. The Changing of the Guard was truly breath taking. While I might not have been the healthiest, I was able to stand the entire time to watch it. I wish that I had been able to hit more of the sites, but we did drive around and see a couple. The Mall area was closed down when I had went for some idiot protesters. No idea what they were protesting, but since I wanted to see the city, and they were stopping me, they were idiots. Who knows when the Army, or life will let me get back to see the other sites.

As for tourists, just remember, around the world, we are usually known as the Ugly Americans, and are widely known for doing the same thing in other countries. Just my two cents on that.

The traffic was the worst there, we had rented a car, and took us forever to get anywhere. And since I did not know how long we would be there, I did not want my family to be paying to see the expensive tours. I did not get to see as much as I would have liked, but hoping to get back there again one day. Would be awesome to see the rest of the history there.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    We are taking a family vacation to DC at the end of July. This was mainly my seven year old daughters idea. She is obsessed with history. Me and my wife both went in middle school but didn't really appreciate the experience at the time. My daughter has already planned out the whole trip including a stop at Gettysburg on the way home. If anyone has any ideas or places that aren't on the normal tourist schedule please let me know. We will be there for ten days so will have plenty of time to burn.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We are taking a family vacation to DC at the end of July. This was mainly my seven year old daughters idea. She is obsessed with history. Me and my wife both went in middle school but didn't really appreciate the experience at the time. My daughter has already planned out the whole trip including a stop at Gettysburg on the way home. If anyone has any ideas or places that aren't on the normal tourist schedule please let me know. We will be there for ten days so will have plenty of time to burn.

The Capitol is a no-brainer, but at 7, your daughter may not be familiar with the fact that the rotunda has two foci such that when standing in one you can hear whispers in the other in spite of the significant distance. A few early members of government put this to effective use before it became common knowledge!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I got to go to DC as a junior in high school...definitely the trip of a life time. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier(s) is truly a hallowed site. Even now when I watch the ceremony on tv, I choke up a little. I think my reaction would be the same as that park employees's.

As a kid from (then) a small town in Tennessee, that trip to the big city was an eye opener. The most vivid event I can recall similar to yours OP, was watching a several police cars chase down a car, surround it, and draw down on the driver...pretty impressive for a small town kid.
    I went to D.C. in 6th Grade, haha. So long ago I don't remember much beyond the memorials themselves.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Depending what she is in to, there are so many things to see there. There is a SPY museum there, or there is Walter Reed/Bethesda there now. I know when I was at Walter Reed, they had a little place that had medical advanced from the 1800s until present day. Even a concrete slab that had been hauled from Iraq back to the states. The slab was from an ER, and had the most American Blood spilled on it. Of course, there is the Treasury Department, and all sorts of famous buildings, as well as the Memorials.

Also, just a heads up, I found this out today actually. Indianapolis actually has more land and more war memorials then any other city. This includes DC. Was at the Indiana War Memorial today and learned a LOT of amazing facts, not only about veterans, but about the folks of Indiana as well, and how well we represent the United States. Population-wise, we are the 16th largest state, however, in military service, we are the 4th largest. I know for a fact that I will be back again to see more of this place. So much history in our own back yard that I was not aware of. :patriot:

Top Bottom