• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YayGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Louisville / Camp Atterbury
    So as promised, here is a little adhock review. I just got around to typing this up because I got home yesterday. This thing is truly phenomenal. It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Savage 10 in 308 which I've put in a Manners T4, and this makes me contemplate selling it and I haven't even shot it yet. Haven't gotten my glass for it yet, but it's on the way. So let's get into the meat and potatoes. And a forewarning, sorry for the iPhone camera pictures.

First impressions. The overall fit and finish are very impressive. Everything is nice and tight, and they really had the user in mind when they designed it

FullSizeRender_zps8jqzravx.jpg

The Stock:
    This stock is phenomenal. Easy to adjust and very versatile. As most know, it's adjustable for length of pull as well as comb height. It utilizes quick throw style levers to make adjustments. Just flip them up, give em about a quarter turn, and make the necessary adjustments. The bottom, as you can see, has a rail to facilitate a monopod.

IMG_3004_zpsfdf4j3wa.jpg

The stock folds by depressing this button. It is firm enough to keep the stock tight and jiggle free, however its not super firm to make depressing the button hard. My good friend has a Barrrett MRAD, and the button to fold the stock is pretty damn firm.

IMG_3005_zpstf5mbxkh.jpg

Another cool feature of this stock is this little lever. If you rotate it to the 6 o'clock position, it locks the stock in the folded position.

FullSizeRender_zps1ftwbau3.jpg

The stock also has 2 QD sling mounts. One is built into the rear of the receiver. The other is a cup secure by an allen head screw, which it looks like you can remove to change the side of the stock that you want to have the QD cup on.

0db848a4-2aa2-406e-a530-4e1b6832cde0_zpslykdtxbg.jpg

IMG_3018_zpskzo8sxck.jpg

The Action:
    The action is very smooth and firm. There is hardly any play in the bolt. As advertised, it sports a 70 degree bolt and it cycles very well. I'll even dare to say its one of the best factory bolts (other than a Barrett) that I've ever felt. It has a tri-lug design which seems to be a great design and sports an oversized bolt knob. The extractor seems similar to an M16 style. To remove the bolt, simply fold the stock, cycle the bolt rearward, press the bolt release, and slide it right out.

IMG_3007_zpsh208njut.jpg

6bb2c091-344b-4066-b96d-274f172b4ce5_zps7d7zwg4b.jpg

Bolt disassembly is very easy. Just place the supplied tool in the gap here, rotate it downward, and it allows you to easily twist the bolt apart. This is my only complaint. . . . If you apply more pressure than you think you need, the polymer fingers will break, and it is a PITA to get back together without it. This was self critiquing, and I need to get ahold of Ruger for a new one. I don't have a picture of the tool being utilized since I broke it, but you put it in the gap seen here on the rear of the bolt. :(

IMG_3008_zpsht4jge0d.jpg

Also, the action is topped with a 20MOA rail to facilitate any work you'd need to do with the rifle.

The Safety and Trigger:
    As some have mentioned in reviews, there is a little bit of play in the safety. I've heard that if you replace it with a 45 degree safety from an AR, it fixes it, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it. The selector moves from Safe to Fire easily, and has a firm detent. Now on to the trigger, where do I start with the trigger! I'll start by saying that I own 2 Savages with the Accutrigger, which I think very highly of. This trigger however, blows the Accutrigger out of the water. It uses the same safety style trigger as Savage. The trigger is adjustable to a crisp 2.5lbs. When I say crisp, it's an understatement. No BS, other than my friends MRAD, this is the finest factory trigger than I've felt. There is absolutely ZERO creep. You start applying pressure, slowly keep applying more, and like a fart gone wrong it sneaks up on you and releases when you least expect it. It is also user adjustable with one advantage. . . . you don't have to remove the action to adjust it.

IMG_3010_zpsh0y3vj6w.jpg

I had to use the flash to show it, but this is where you adjust the trigger. There is a small opening in the mag release where you insert the supplied allen wrench (which lives in the bolt shroud). The supplied allen wrench slides right in. You can see the set screw that is used to adjust it in this pic. It has a firm stop to let you know when you've gone as low as you can (2.5lbs)

IMG_3011_zpsfkyp5arb.jpg

The Mag Well/ Release:
    This system is another fantastic design. It comes with 2x 10rd PMags. They slide in without a hiccup and the same goes for my 10rd AICS mag's. There is no mag wobble, and with the AICS mags, the fit is pretty tight, but not enough to impede insertion. They say that it will also work with M1a magazines, but I no longer have any to test it with. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue as it accepts the Pmag and AICS mags just fine.

IMG_3012_zps7ojb9ykw.jpg
    IMG_3013_zpsxgiygpo9.jpg

The Barrel/ Handguard:
    So my particular rifle is chambered in 6.5CM. It has a 24" medium contour barrel. I can't say much about it until I shoot it other than the fact that the fit and finish seem great, and the rifling looks good and uniform. The barrel seems to be around the .9" mark until the hand guard where it appears to taper down to .75 or so at the muzzle. The hand guard is a Samson keymod rail. In the box, there is a QD sling mount to mount on the hand guard. The hand guard has a picatinny rail the entire length of the top of the hand guard and has a 4" rail section on the bottom to facilitate a bipod. The barrel has a recessed crown at the muzzle as well. The barrel is threaded and has a thread protector factory installed. The threads look well machined.

FullSizeRender_zpsqtbu6yw7.jpg
    FullSizeRender_zpskw1fredv.jpg

So the real question, how do I like it? Shooting it will be the deciding factor. However, if it shoots as good as it looks/ feels/ and works then I have no doubts that it'll replace my Savage as my favorite firearm I own. The amount of versatility and user friendly features on this rifle are mind blowing. Hats off to the guys who worked with Ruger to make this rifle what it is. I honestly feel that in the realm of bolt action rifles, this is going to be a force to be reckoned with by other manufacturers. Pair the features with the low entry fee for the amount of rifle that you get, and it's a WIN WIN. Once I get my glass, I'll get a range report up here too. To ease the minds and to prevent questions later, I bought a Vortex Viper PST in 6-24x50 with the MRAD reticle. I have one on my Savage and love it, so I figured that I'd put one on this rifle too. If you have any questions or want some pictures of a particular part of the rifle, just ask and I'll be happy to help you out.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nice review. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get my hands on one of these. I don't think I'll be buying one as I have two bolt guns which cover my needs well and I'm used to them but from everything I've seen I think Ruger knocked it out of the park with this rifle and have likely changed the (factory rifle) industry for years to come.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thanks for the review. I'm waiting patiently for some more. My only bolt gun is my issued one and want a personal one. I am a Ruger fan ( which I never really noticed until I looked in my safe the other day) and this seems like a rife done right from the ground up.

Top Bottom