My S10 is making a clicking noise near the rearend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What could it be? I only hear it when the truck gets close to stuff on the side of the road so the sound echoes back to the cab (trees, bushes, other vehicles, etc.) It sounds like it is clicking. I think it is coming from the right side of the truck. I know I need an alignment bad because the truck wants to shift to the right so maybe the clicking noise is related to that? All help is appreciated.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pebble in the tire tread? Nail in the tire? Something in the brake drum on that side? Worn u-joint? Could be lots of things.

Does it happen with every rotation of the tire? Or about 3 or 4 times as fast? Does it speed up and slow down with engine speed or vehicle speed?

Jack up the rearend (chock the front wheels), put the transmission in neutral, and spin the tires by hand. Should be able to pinpoint it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go Chinese on testing your alignment. Find a big space (think big empty parking lot), get the S10 up to about 35MPH, let go of the wheel and stand on the brake. If it cuts to the right or left you need an alignment. If it goes straight you're good to go.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    Go Chinese on testing your alignment. Find a big space (think big empty parking lot), get the S10 up to about 35MPH, let go of the wheel and stand on the brake. If it cuts to the right or left you need an alignment. If it goes straight you're good to go.

This method of diagnosing could also show bad front brake hoses or front calipers. Alignment checks would include the vehicle going straight down a flat road that is not crowned, tire wear, and turnability.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It could be as innocuous as the twiggy little stick the left rear on my Thunderchicken picked up and was raising holy heck. Jack it up, spin it, look and listen before you get into U joints and whatnot.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    We had a wheel bearing on our truck go out. One shop tried to tell me it was the idler arm and the pitman arm. I bought both and replaced the idler arm (it didn't hurt to replace it) but that wasn't the problem. Went to a completely different place and they diagnosed the wheel bearing. Clicking went away.

Check the wheel bearings.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

What does it mean if the S10 flips multiple times and burst into flames just as mosinguy jumps out the window?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

It cuts bad to the right, but I knew that.

What does it mean if the S10 flips multiple times and burst into flames just as mosinguy jumps out the window?

SNAFU. :):

Since I don't have ABS on this thing I had to engine brake non stop during that rain we had this evening. Slightest tap on the brakes would send me skidding all over.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Does the ticking speed up as you speed up? Does it have rhythm or is it sporadic?

Check the basics like something in the tire (nail) or something in the tread (rock)

Check your u joints for play or any practical jokes (a common joke is to use zip ties on Ujoints leaving a long tail. The tail then slaps at various parts of the vehicle annoying the hell out of it's driver)

Check your wheel bearings. This will be done with a similar test as MRJ's: Go to a parking lot and drive straight to hear the sound. veer left and then right. If the sound gets significantly louder when all the weight is on a particular side of the car then its likely a wheel bearing. If you steer right and you hear the noise, it's a driver side front or rear (maybe even both) wheel bearing.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Does the ticking speed up as you speed up? Does it have rhythm or is it sporadic?

Check the basics like something in the tire (nail) or something in the tread (rock)

Check your u joints for play or any practical jokes (a common joke is to use zip ties on Ujoints leaving a long tail. The tail then slaps at various parts of the vehicle annoying the hell out of it's driver)

Check your wheel bearings. This will be done with a similar test as MRJ's: Go to a parking lot and drive straight to hear the sound. veer left and then right. If the sound gets significantly louder when all the weight is on a particular side of the car then its likely a wheel bearing. If you steer right and you hear the noise, it's a driver side front or rear (maybe even both) wheel bearing.

It is a sporadic thing.

Top Bottom