• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had Saiga fever for a while, and picked up a bone stock S12 on the classifieds section of this site. Here's what I started with.
    picture.jpg

The first mod I did was pick up an MD ARMS gas plug. This gives the shotgun 5 gas settings instead of 2, and does not require a tool to change settings. I lucked out and got one for $20 shipped directly from MD ARMs.
    DSC01291-1.jpg

I then ground off the rivets of the old trigger gaurd, and removed the trigger group.
    DSC01284.jpg

I installed a Tromix DIY and Tromix trigger. Very easy to install, and uses screws through the factory drilled holes.
    DSC01286.jpg

Next was the stock. I'm not a fan of folding stocks on a 19" barreled shotgun, so I installed an AR style buffer tube. Vltor and CAA both make aluminum ones. Vltor is a mil spec and CAA is commercial, so I stuck with CAA and used an extra Magpul CTR I had laying around. This is usually a drop in part, but one of the screw heads for the DIY Trigger Gaurd wouldn't allow the stock to fully slide into the receiver, so I had to grind the buffer tube a bit. Also added a Hogue grip.
    DSC01288.jpg

Before installing the trigger, bolt, and carrier, I used the dremel to round out a couple of spots that typically can cause trouble, and polished the whole thing. Really seemed to improve the feel of the trigger, and makes it easier to load a full mag into the gun with a closed bolt.
    IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg

Last, I added a Chaos rail with the HK style sights, Chaos Warthog muzzle brake, Krebs Bolt Hold Safety Lever, and an MD ARMS 20 round drum. The rail was easy to mount with the exception of removing the rear sight :xmad:. The drums were on sale from MD ARMS for $70, so my wife picked up an extra one for my birthday. Added a AFG1 and a Insight M3X light with tape switch. Finished it off with about a half million Magpul XTM panels.

And heres the final product.
    IMG_0004-1.jpg

Took it out and shot 100 rounds of the Wal-Mart low brass shells, 50 slugs, and 50 OObuck low recoils with out any trouble. I'd have to say this is one of my favorite firearms I've owned, and don't see myself parting with it any time soon. If anyone out there has any questions about how to do any of this stuff, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    how are the hk sights on the rail? I was looking at those the other day and haven't pulled the trigger yet so to speak.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Love it! As Lotsofglocks said, a Saiga 12 is next on my list as well, I only hope I can get one before MD art of the dynamic shotgun comes out. I have a feeling everyone and their brother will want one after that.

localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Very Nicely done i own 4 saiga 12s converted 1 myself and love it..I might have to part with one to do the other 2...Tring to add a differnt touch to each one..Anyway great job

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Love it! As Lotsofglocks said, a Saiga 12 is next on my list as well, I only hope I can get one before MD art of the dynamic shotgun comes out. I have a feeling everyone and their brother will want one after that.
    That trailer is what pushed me over the line of "wanting one", to "owning one"! That video is going to be intense.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hope the wife doesn't read this :D
    $450 for lnib Saiga / INGO Classifieds
    $20 for the gas plug / MD ARMS
    $70 X 2 for the drums / MD ARMS
    $91 Tromix trigger gaurd and trigger / Carolina Shooting Supply
    $79 CAA buffer tube / Carolina Shooting Supply
    $22 Hogue Grip / Carolina Shooting Supply
    $240 Chaos rail, sights, nut, and muzzle break / Chaos

The CTR, AFG1, XTM panels, and M3X were laying around in the closet, and polishing everything out cost next to nothing. +1 to MD ARMs, Chaos, and Carolina Shooting Supply. Everything I ordered got sent out quickly, and the Videos on CarolinaShootingSupply.com would be really helpful if you've never installed an AK trigger group.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Now you have a good excuse to come and shoot again :ar15:
    I can actually hold onto it now when bump firing it!

Yea, I bet it's a lot more tolerable now. Was a little too awkward for someone my size to hold onto with a drum mag. Shorter stock should help a lot.

Been looking into a similar conversion for a Saiga rifle just in the case that I can't find a decent AK.

Props to the build! Poor little bus.

Top Bottom