• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Well after four months of researching and pondering the PS90, Kriss Vector, Ak-47, .50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel and making polls to get more knowledgeable peoples opinion. I have decide to go with the Armalite 15a4c SPC II 6.8. From what I have read it seems like the best all around choice.

Thank you all for your input.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well after four months of researching and pondering the PS90, Kriss Vector, Ak-47, .50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel and making polls to get more knowledgeable peoples opinion. I have decide to go with the Armalite 15a4c SPC II 6.8. From what I have read it seems like the best all around choice.

Thank you all for your input.

6.8 ammo is hard to find & expensive:twocents:

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    The Stag Arms 7 in 6.8 SPC II is also very accurate. 6.8 SPC II as an intermediate cartridge fits in the AR15 and hits hard like the 7.62x39 at close range. The American 7.62x39.

Not real common, but still a strong choice. Better stock up on ammo, when you can. This would be a good round to learn to reload also.

Good luck.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    pondering the PS90, Kriss Vector, Ak-47, .50 Beowulf, 6.5 Grendel

Those are pretty sophisticated guns for SHTF, not counting the AK-47. I would think the AK-47 would be the logical choice during SHTF. It has cheap ammo, cheap parts, and simple construction.

The .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel wouldn't even be options. Ammo too expensive and too hard to find.

Something I never even thought to look into.

Leads me to believe you didn't really think out the process and you were only going on "cool" factor.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Those are pretty sophisticated guns for SHTF, not counting the AK-47. I would think the AK-47 would be the logical choice during SHTF. It has cheap ammo, cheap parts, and simple construction.

The .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel wouldn't even be options. Ammo too expensive and too hard to find.

Leads me to believe you didn't really think out the process and you were only going on "cool" factor.

I would like a rifle more accurate than an ak-47

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Wow, that wasn't a very well thought out few months of planning then. 4 months?!?! You must work for the government if it took that long. Also, why something in 6.8 was the best all around choice kinda makes me wonder as well.

I would think something in a caliber that is easily and readily available would be the first factor, followed by reliability and versatility of the weapon, then cost.

AK in 5.45 or AR in 5.56 seem like no brainers to me. If your country isn't using 5.56, then your probably using 5.45 (meaning surplus will be around, always). Pretty much everyone uses an AK or AR, so again parts and mags will always be around, and both are pretty idiot proof and will require little maintenance.

Don't get so wrapped up in the thought process and get a gun and train.. A poor man with a .22 who shoots it every day, is far more effective than a man with a $2000.00 rifle and only talks about it on the internet.

That's 4 months of shooting and getting trained up that didn't happen.

I would like a rifle more accurate than an ak-47

A well built AK is accurate...

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Wow, that wasn't a very well thought out few months of planning then. 4 months?!?! You must work for the government if it took that long. Also, why something in 6.8 was the best all around choice kinda makes me wonder as well.

I would think something in a caliber that is easily and readily available would be the first factor, followed by reliability and versatility of the weapon, then cost.

AK in 5.45 or AR in 5.56 seem like no brainers to me. If your country isn't using 5.56, then your probably using 5.45 (meaning surplus will be around, always). Pretty much everyone uses an AK or AR, so again parts and mags will always be around, and both are pretty idiot proof and will require little maintenance.

Don't get so wrapped up in the thought process and get a gun and train.. A poor man with a .22 who shoots it every day, is far more effective than a man with a $2000.00 rifle and only talks about it on the internet.

I have plenty of AR-15 in .223, but the 223 lacks power & range, I'll stick with the 308 win.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the comment made by Gamez235, the logical choice would definitely be an AK74 or variant or an AR. If you already have an AR but think it lacks range and stopping power how far are you planning on shooting it in a SHTF scenario? I would think 100 to 200 yards tops if that, which both of those rifles can accomplish easily. Now, if you just really want a 6.8 SPC II and can afford it, by all means go for it. The more options you have the better off you will be and when the SHTF you can grab whatever is close with confidence.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I agree with the comment made by Gamez235, the logical choice would definitely be an AK74 or variant or an AR. If you already have an AR but think it lacks range and stopping power how far are you planning on shooting it in a SHTF scenario? I would think 100 to 200 yards tops if that, which both of those rifles can accomplish easily. Now, if you just really want a 6.8 SPC II and can afford it, by all means go for it. The more options you have the better off you will be and when the SHTF you can grab whatever is close with confidence.

REMEMBER you're going to need your SHTF rifle to hunt, with the 5.45 or 223 you'll be hunting pussum or coon:laugh: You'll need a better round to eat deer or elk:twocents:

Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

That's 4 months of shooting and getting trained up that didn't happen.

Four months is how long I had to wait to get my money. So I had time to think and read. My first thought had nothing to do with cool factor. I was looking for something that was accurate, fast and had knock down power. The AK-47 while a cool Hollywood gun is too slow, cumbersome and not that accurate. The 5.56 nato round is just plain silly. There is a reason why our soldiers can't stand it. We call it lack of knock down power. .22's are great guns to use that is why you see them on the battlefield all the time. The Kriss is said to be junk and the PS90 round seems to be like the nato round. The Beowulf has great knock down power, but the range sucks. I will stick with my Saiga 12 for CQC. So the last two standing The Grendel 6.5 and the 6.8 were the best over all for speed, knock down power and accuracy. AK's go for what 500.00 to what a 1000.00. The 6.5 Grendel I can pick up for 1050.00 and the 6.8 I can pick up for 950.00.

Top Bottom