• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I had one of their M&P knives a long time ago. I don't remember what the problem I had was(most likely a pocket clip since I go through those like underwear) but their customer service was great and fast. I couldn't find any qualms with the knife itself. Shame that I lost it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm not sure why you're surprised by this. I believe all of the gun maker branded knives are made in China, and most are junk.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why would you waste money on a S&W branded knife when there are so many fine high quality US makers to choose from. Sure they are going to cost more than the $20.00 you probably paid for that knife shaped object you bought, but you will have a real useful tool. And yes most firearm manufacturer branded products are made in China. HK branded knives are made by Benchmade however...... in their Chinese run factory. In China. So yeah China.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Why would you waste money on a S&W branded knife when there are so many fine high quality US makers to choose from. Sure they are going to cost more than the $20.00 you probably paid for that knife shaped object you bought, but you will have a real useful tool. And yes most firearm manufacturer branded products are made in China. HK branded knives are made by Benchmade however...... in their Chinese run factory. In China. So yeah China.

Not all of the H&K (Benchmade) knives are made in China.....some are and some are made in the same factory as the Benchmade brand knives (Oregon). All of the H&K automatic knives are USA made.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe you need a Glock knife.

It's actually made by Glock, it's the same kind of fighting/utility knife.
    I think they are pretty cheap too.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not all of the H&K (Benchmade) knives are made in China.....some are and some are made in the same factory as the Benchmade brand knives (Oregon). All of the H&K automatic knives are USA made.

I knew that Benchmade knives are US made. Didn't know about the Hk autos. Good to know thanks for the info

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is why researching before you buy a product is important, a quick google search would have lead you to the made in China conclusion. And on the subject of Chinese VS American made knives, yes the USA made knives are generally more expensive but at the same time they are also of a much higher quality level. So the old adage is correct you definitely get what you pay for in the knife world. Look into Kershaw they have a large line of Chinese made knives but at the same time a large line of USA made knives like the Link for example it is a folding knife that for around $35 or so is made right here in the US with a lifetime warranty.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I knew that Benchmade knives are US made. Didn't know about the Hk autos. Good to know thanks for the info

It can get confusing.....besides their autos, there are several assisted opening models, and all of their "tactical" axis lock folders are made in the USA, but they (H&K Brand)) do have models that are made in China.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It can get confusing.....besides their autos, there are several assisted opening models, and all of their "tactical" axis lock folders are made in the USA, but they (H&K Brand)) do have models that are made in China.

I have two S&W sheath " skinners " hard rubber handles and stainless blades.
    If I remember they were made by Vermont Cutlery. I bought them around 1990.
    I believe they were made here. ?????

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have two S&W sheath " skinners " hard rubber handles and stainless blades.
    If I remember they were made by Vermont Cutlery. I bought them around 1990.
    I believe they were made here. ?????

Yes, Your S&W knives made by Vermont Cutlery are USA made. Smith & Wesson started manufacturing knives in 1974. Smith & Wesson knives used to be manufactured in house, although for a period of time (1986-1993) Vermont Cutlery Co. of West Rutland, VT. made knives for Smith and Wesson. S&W sold the rights to their knife brand to Taylor Cutlery. Currently, Taylor Brand S&W knives are manufactured in China.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes, Your S&W knives made by Vermont Cutlery are USA made. Smith & Wesson started manufacturing knives in 1974. Smith & Wesson knives used to be manufactured in house, although for a period of time (1986-1993) Vermont Cutlery Co. of West Rutland, VT. made knives for Smith and Wesson. S&W sold the rights to their knife brand to Taylor Cutlery. Currently, Taylor Brand S&W knives are manufactured in China.

Know-it-all.:p

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    That's what I thought, they definitely are work knifes, nothing special that's for sure. They grip well with bloody hands, high enough grade of stainless not to stain or rust when put away wet, stand out when laying in the dirt, leaves or snow. But are always looking for a new edge put on them. They both have served me well for around 25 years. I'm a happy customer.. It's a shame they went overseas.. Thank you.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    the 70's smith knives were quality high carbon steel and had serial numbers. they even came in the blue boxes with the metal corners just like guns did.
    $_1.JPG

sm87135.JPG

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    a few years ago I bought a smith ad Wesson m&p knife, assisted opener, opened fast, razor sharp!

BUT! made in china, so soft steel, dulls quickly, but sharpens up easy, and fast!

now the big thing is to make the blades in America, ship them to china to be sharpened, assembled with Chinese made handles by Chinese labor, and then ship them back to America to be sold!, that's what browning does, and I think some crkt and spyderco knives are the same way too!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    But Spyderco are a lot better knives than the Taylor cutlery brands, even their all Chinese knives.

I don't care where a product comes from if it's quality. Spyderco makes some of their best knives in Taiwan and their Chinese is solid for the price point. Kershaw makes some decent knives for the money in China.

Reate is starting to have a large following and they make midtechs from 200-1400 and they look pretty damn slick and their superconductor and timascus pocket clips look sweet.

Taylor cutlery knives though (smith and wesson and primos) I'd just stay away from

Top Bottom