• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    We had two of my son's friends over for a shooting party last Saturday to celebrate his 18th birthday. Aside from a bunch of pistol and 44/40 lever ammo, we shot some rounds out of his Savage Model 10 FLP, in 308 Winchester.

This was my son's first group under half an inch, so he was really pumped about it.

2012%2520Shooting%2520Pics%2520005.jpg

I also managed to put three in less than half an inch, but the real surprising thing was his buddy, Jacob. This kid has shot maybe 5 times in his whole life, most of them at our house, and he shoots a .520"?!

2012%2520Shooting%2520Pics%2520008.jpg

We were shooting off a solid front rest and rear bag, no sled or anything, and these were shot at 100 yards. There were a total of four shooters, 12 rounds fired. My son's other friend, Joe, has a medical condition that causes him to shake a lot, so his group was not as good. Still, for three people to each shoot a 3-shot group with 1 rifle, and all be right around .500" or less...that's pretty darned impressive, to me. Note how the group is well-centered for my son, but off a bit for me and Jacob. It's a lefty rifle and only my son is left-handed. This really illustrates why it's important to sight in your own rifle and not let someone else do it! :D

2012%2520Shooting%2520Pics%2520002.jpg

If you're interested, these were loaded to 2.775" and though I haven't chronographed them yet, should be in the 2,700fps range. Recoil is moderate and obviously the accuracy is there. :)

NOTE: These loads are safe in this gun but neither I, nor Indiana Gun Owner's forum, assert that this load data will be safe in your gun. Please follow all common reloading safety procedures and work up loads carefully!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i usto be die hard remington 700 or nothing, over the last few years savage has really impressed me. i even bought one in 308 and the first box of ammo threw it i shot 3 shots inside a inch @ 200 yds with fgmm 168 gr ammo. i hate the mag and stock on my rifle (10 fpsr) but you cant complain about the accuracy esspecially for a 550 dollar rifle

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    i usto be die hard remington 700 or nothing, over the last few years savage has really impressed me. i even bought one in 308 and the first box of ammo threw it i shot 3 shots inside a inch @ 200 yds with fgmm 168 gr ammo. i hate the mag and stock on my rifle (10 fpsr) but you cant complain about the accuracy esspecially for a 550 dollar rifle

Funny you should mention that...I paid exactly $550 for it, but that was with the scope. For that price, to get this kind of accuracy, it's hard to complain. I mean, for another $450 you could have a better stock and a decent bipod, but I doubt it's going to shoot much better, for all that. I can't wait to get it down to my buddy's place where he's got a target at almost 300 yards...I'm hoping the accuracy carries that distance, which it should.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I made the switch to savage guns when I had a savage bolt action 12ga slug gun outshoot a remington bdl 700 in 300rum at 100 yards. Not apples to apples at all, but it still got the point across. The 10FP-SR like you mentioned is one of the best values for the money out there. Hard to beat it for the money.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Here is the best I have shot out of my 10FP SR (308). I use 5 shot groups when getting an idea of accuracy ( mostly for me to make sure Im doing what I need to:D) 5 shot group at 100yrds with 168gr Hornady match, 44.1gr Varget, 2.810 OAL. These rifles are crazy accurate for the cost :yesway:, ur son has a fine rifle little more practice and a little more load development an you can see what that rifle will really do;)

0510121101-00.jpg

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I had a 110FP in 308 a long time ago. Same, same. No pictures but, I did shoot a coyote @ 130 yards on the run left to right, with witnesses! ;)

I do have a picture of the coyote though! ;)

scan0017.jpg

The fellow in the picture now looks like this:
    Dub2012.jpg

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Good story, and good shootin Mr. Broom...rep for making some good memories for all the young men involved:)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure my son understands that a .400" group is something to be very happy with, but his buddy Jacob may not really grasp just what he's done. I mean, I was in my teens, and had been shooting quite a while before I shot my first group under 1". It was a few years later before I shot a group anywhere near half an inch, and that was only after I started handloading.

I don't think he realizes that some folks shoot for decades and never shoot a 3-shot group that measures .520"...he doesn't even know he's not supposed to be good enough to shoot like that! So, yeah...I hope this created some memories and that they all have a deeper appreciation for guns, especially accurate guns.

Top Bottom