• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know if it's typical of all 10-22's or rather I have always been lucky, but I have never found mine to be picky on ammo as far as functioning. Saying that though, I would suggest getting him a couple different brands of ammo in case it prefers one over the other. What I usually do is always tote some CCI mini mags (expensive but works in everything I own) along with Federal bulk packed bought from Walmart.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    1181.jpg

... or would it be best to start him off in an actual indoor shooting range.

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

If you're near Lafayette, the second Saturday of each month they host the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics Systems Inc. (a site advertiser I might add).

They have a state of the art indoor range, and the First-Shots program is completely free of charge. New shooters will learn the basics of firearm safety, handling, and firing a .22.

Once again, it's totally free of charge.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you're near Lafayette, the second Saturday of each month they host the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) "First-Shots" program at Applied Ballistics Systems Inc. (a site advertiser I might add).

They have a state of the art indoor range, and the First-Shots program is completely free of charge. New shooters will learn the basics of firearm safety, handling, and firing a .22.

Once again, it's totally free of charge.

So, out of curiousity, how old are most of the kids that go to this?

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Man I was looking for a after Christmas report also.I know what my kids did when they opened theirs and was wondering if her boys reaction was the same.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    I received a PM from her today and she said she was going to post something on Friday,

I sent her a PM after reading her OP and offered to send her a pair of hearing protector ear muffs that my son had out-grown to include with the 10/22, she got them the other day and I also was hoping to see a follow up post. I sent a PM yesterday and heard back today that she will try to post on Friday.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Set him up a piece of steel and watch the smile-fest when he's dinging it at 75-100 yards.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Set him up a piece of steel and watch the smile-fest when he's dinging it at 75-100 yards.

I watched a similar smile fest today, but it was me looking in the mirror after ringing the plate out at MCF&G ;).

Red dot + M&P 15-22 + steel = :D

I suspect 10/22 + steel also = :D

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I received a PM from her today and she said she was going to post something on Friday,

I sent her a PM after reading her OP and offered to send her a pair of hearing protector ear muffs that my son had out-grown to include with the 10/22, she got them the other day and I also was hoping to see a follow up post. I sent a PM yesterday and heard back today that she will try to post on Friday.
    Glad to hear every one is OK.

Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    2011-12-30_12-57-47_118.jpg
    The picture is of my friend Brad and Clay. I didn't have an opportunity to have my picture taken with him as I was making sure he followed through with being safe.

Thank you everyone for your concern. My son and I both have both eyes intact and everyone is doing well.

Clay's first shots were yesterday and aside from being quick on the trigger he was very safe and cautious while shooting.

JDude sent my son a pair of ear muffs along with some other goodies and that was the final factor into get Clay to shoot.

I made Clay read through the safety procedures and made him handle his rifle a long time before it was ever loaded with ammunition. I will have no problem taking him to INGO events.

Thank you JDude for all your help.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Glad to see a picture of your son with his new rifle, teach him correctly and he will have a life long passion. I was more than happy to help get your son started saftely into shooting, just make sure to enforce the 4 rules of gun saftey and you both will have many great memories as he grows up.

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Great first gun, these guns have done nothing but increase in value. When i was a kid you could get one for a hundred dollar bill, now they are in the 200 dollar range and i'm 29! I bet some of you guys remember when they were in the fifty dollar bill range!

Top Bottom