My stolen car was found in Shelby County.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Thats cool.

I have just put myself in a habit of never ever leaving my rig unlocked if I am not right there with it. Years of working in areas that keeps your head on a swivel. Dealing with the creatures of the night in an alley behind a 7/11 on north Shadland and areas most of you all would never consider driving through after dark let alone stopping in an alley.....:):

Yes I am a bit jaded I suppose. But I never lost a truck....:):

I hate this for the guy. I really do. I hope they do not tear his rig up and he gets it back.

never lost a vehicle either. Never leave my keys in it, never leave it running unattended. Heck I filled up with gas tonight, I was standing right there and it was LOCKED!!!

I really feel for this guy, trying to do the right thing and he gets bit in the ass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    never lost a vehicle either. Never leave my keys in it, never leave it running unattended. Heck I filled up with gas tonight, I was standing right there and it was LOCKED!!!

I really feel for this guy, trying to do the right thing and he gets bit in the ass.

Well, in truth MrsG we are jaded by lifes experiences and what we have both seen on a daily basis. I like folks. But if I do not know you I will not trust you.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Well, in truth MrsG we are jaded by lifes experiences and what we have both seen on a daily basis. I like folks. But if I do not know you I will not trust you.

On a more upbeat note, I have met several INGO members, including the Mouse. There are several that I would be comfortable leaving my car, my keys, my wallet, and my checkbook with; knowing that everything would be there when I returned. There are many excellent people in this community!

p.s. I didn't say I'd leave my ammo and guns with them.......:)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    On a more upbeat note, I have met several INGO members, including the Mouse. There are several that I would be comfortable leaving my car, my keys, my wallet, and my checkbook with; knowing that everything would be there when I returned. There are many excellent people in this community!

p.s. I didn't say I'd leave my ammo and guns with them.......:)

oh, absolutely. there are a lot of wonderful folks in this community.

But as Mouse said, I am jaded by what I see on a daily basis.

You sir, along with the mouse, would be trusted in my home and with my first daughter :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That is one of the nice things about the keyless starters. Key never leaves my pocket. Car will run without it, but won't go anywhere.
    Yep I love mine too. Warms up or cools down while I'm still warm or cool inside my house or the store or restaurant ect.
    If I need to get out I can leave it running and my keys come with me.
    Great investments as long as someone knowledgeble installs them.

Chcrandy, glad you got some resolution

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well my saga continues. I got a call from Geico this morning and apparently the individual who was hit by my stolen car is trying to file a claim against me. The nice lady from Geico was sure shocked when informed they owned that car. She found paperwork where they actually owned the car. I signed it over to Geico and cancelled coverage back in November when they declared it a total loss and paid me. It appears our trusty BMV didn't file the paperwork changing registration, even though they had 3 tries! Not sure where this is headed. I kind of figured this would happen. Anyone ever been in something like this?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well my saga continues. I got a call from Geico this morning and apparently the individual who was hit by my stolen car is trying to file a claim against me. The nice lady from Geico was sure shocked when informed they owned that car. She found paperwork where they actually owned the car. I signed it over to Geico and cancelled coverage back in November when they declared it a total loss and paid me. It appears our trusty BMV didn't file the paperwork changing registration, even though they had 3 tries! Not sure where this is headed. I kind of figured this would happen. Anyone ever been in something like this?

If the wreck happened after you had signed over the car and cancelled coverage, that should be pretty simple for you. A little less simple for Geico, but still not all that complicated for them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No, and I've only heard of it once. You are due for some smooth sailing for several years after this.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If the wreck happened after you had signed over the car and cancelled coverage, that should be pretty simple for you. A little less simple for Geico, but still not all that complicated for them.

That's what I was thinking. I really appreciate your chiming in. The only thing I don't really understand is why the car is still registered in my name. Geico said I should have changed the title with BMV, which I informed them I did, 3 times! Apparently the BMV screwed it up or something.

No, and I've only heard of it once. You are due for some smooth sailing for several years after this.

I sure hope so buddy. I can assure you I am do for a change of luck. The last couple of years, if it can happen, it seems to happen. I feel like Bad Luck Schleprock some days, lol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's what I was thinking. I really appreciate your chiming in. The only thing I don't really understand is why the car is still registered in my name. Geico said I should have changed the title with BMV, which I informed them I did, 3 times! Apparently the BMV screwed it up or something.

That's not even your responsibility, nor does it determine who owns that car. You went above and beyond.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I sure hope so buddy. I can assure you I am do for a change of luck. The last couple of years, if it can happen, it seems to happen. I feel like Bad Luck Schleprock some days, lol.

Not for a stolen vehicle, but for a totaled vehicle, I provided a signed title to the insurance company, and I was reimbursed. There was not any action that I was aware of to do with the BMV. I could be wrong, but believe that was the process when I had 2 different vehicles totaled over the last 8 years or so. The company or person receiving the title has the action at that point, I believe. Interested if that is not the case, but I've not seen anything different.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Not for a stolen vehicle, but for a totaled vehicle, I provided a signed title to the insurance company, and I was reimbursed. There was not any action that I was aware of to do with the BMV. I could be wrong, but believe that was the process when I had 2 different vehicles totaled over the last 8 years or so. The company or person receiving the title has the action at that point, I believe. Interested if that is not the case, but I've not seen anything different.

If hoosierland laws are anything like Texas (hi Kirk!) then yes it is the responsibility of the new owner to get the registration changed...but if the new owner doesn't then every time someone looks up the registration for that car, the your name comes up. :) So it is in the seller's interest to make sure re-titling and re-registration happen.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

You are correct.

If hoosierland laws are anything like Texas (hi Kirk!) then yes it is the responsibility of the new owner to get the registration changed...but if the new owner doesn't then every time someone looks up the registration for that car, the your name comes up.
    :) So it is in the seller's interest to make sure re-titling and re-registration happen.

Which doesn't happen when a car is stolen and declared a loss or wrecked. Only end consumers have to transfer the title. Brokers, dealers, salvage operations, etc. do not have to. When you are selling a car, I agree, but there's not really much you can do to force the new owner to register it. I guess you can refuse to transfer the title anyplace but the BMV and watch him transfer title....never heard of that, though.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    As long as you have your paperwork from the BMV showing that you transferred it, you should be fine. Sounds like GEICO will have to deal with it.

Top Bottom