• fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Now I'm no constitutional scholar.

I don't recall seeing a provision for the ATF in the Constitution.

Could the states "opt out" of the "authority" and rules of the ATF?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Now I'm no constitutional scholar.

I don't recall seeing a provision for the ATF in the Constitution.

Could the states "opt out" of the "authority" and rules of the ATF?
    My thoughts, which someone always tries to educate me on something i already know are:: ATF, FBI ect are FEDERAL agencies, so if you have or do something within your state and your state doesn't have a type of law for what the federal government deems illegal...then as long as you don't cross into another state, well..then the federal government has no business messing with you. Example would be like back in the day with John Dillinger. He robbed banks and such and the feds didn't get involved until he crossed the state line presumably in a stolen car., otherwise it was a state problem according to the fbi. Too bad it isn't this way or we'd all be with suppressors and such goodies. Remember, this is Texas' argument for in state made tool.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My thoughts, which someone always tries to educate me on something i already know are:: ATF, FBI ect are FEDERAL agencies, so if you have or do something within your state and your state doesn't have a type of law for what the federal government deems illegal...then as long as you don't cross into another state, well..then the federal government has no business messing with you. Example would be like back in the day with John Dillinger. He robbed banks and such and the feds didn't get involved until he crossed the state line presumably in a stolen car., otherwise it was a state problem according to the fbi. Too bad it isn't this way or we'd all be with suppressors and such goodies. Remember, this is Texas' argument for in state made tool.
    Except they are fighting this by saying the raw materials crossed state lines, so therefore the commerce clause applies. Always. Full stop.

So unless you mine the metal, refine the metal, and machine the metal in state, (the same with any other materials like welding rods and paint) They'll still claim interstate commerce applies and string you up.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Except they are fighting this by saying the raw materials crossed state lines, so therefore the commerce clause applies. Always. Full stop.

So unless you mine the metal, refine the metal, and machine the metal in state, (the same with any other materials like welding rods and paint) They'll still claim interstate commerce applies and string you up.
    **** this ****

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Even in your scenario they will use that against you. It is the Fed gets to do whatever they want clause.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actually that will not work either. In Wickard v. Filburn the court ruled just raising wheat was engaging in IC because the act of raising it meant they didn’t buy it on the open market.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Actually that will not work either. In Wickard v. Filburn the court ruled just raising wheat was engaging in IC because the act of raising it meant they didn’t buy it on the open market.

Yep. The item/product doesn't have to move in interstate commerce, just "effect" it.

And if that doesn't work, there is always the old "general welfare" to fall back on.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The ATF is unconstutioal scum. If such a government entity is to exist, it should be a convenience store, not an infringing organ of the federal government. It should be the place where those without other means can go to obtain a suitable arm and powder and ball to meet their militia responsibilities.

The commerce clause needs to be returned to it's original context.

"No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported from any state. No preference shall be given by any regulation of commerce or revenue to the ports of one state over those of anothet nor shall vessels bound to, or from, one state, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay duties, in another."

Outside of those acts, the commerce clause does not apply.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The agency has changed a lot over the years from when they regulated tobacco farming and busted stills in Appalachia. Things that the treasury department saw as it's responsibility. The 34 Firearms and GCA of 68 really moved them into the firearms business.

At one point in their history they were even in charge of regulating butter.

Top Bottom