• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Wow, there's some negative feedback ...
    I dig it. Better than only a handgun and a million times better than what most people leave at home in the safe.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have always wanted a truck gun. More specifically, a truck rifle. I have had a Kel Tec Sub 2000 for a while now and finally decided to figure out how to make it my truck gun.

I have a Toyota Tundra Crew Cab in which the back seats fold down. After playing around for a while, I figured out how I could get the Sub 2k mounted up in there. Finally made it happen today. Evn had room to mount two Glock 33rd 9mm mags to go with it.

Would love to hear INGOs feedback.

I think it's a pretty cool setup. It looks like it fits perfectly into that spot, and the two 33 round fun sticks are just icing on an awesome gun cake. :yesway: :yesway:

I honestly like it. I am not a KelTec fan but pistol caliber carbines are nothing to thumb your nose at. 30 roundsof 9mm out of a 16" barrel makes for an effective 50 yard thumper.

OP I am curious about you carbine. The optic and stock take away the ability to fold the gun. That was one of the selling points of the sub2000. I never cared for the idea myself. Looks like you have a coupler that strengthens that pivot point? Stock sights lack, what kind of optic do you use.

I believe he has a Red Lion front rail system on his Sub 2000, which lets you turn the rail and index it to a different spot so you can fold the gun like designed. Here is the Red Lion website: Sub 2000 Forend (Base unit, no rails)

And a video demonstrating how it works:
    [video=youtube;e-NbnJ-jh1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NbnJ-jh1o[/video]

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "To me a 9mm is a waste of time in a hand gun let alone a carbine."
    I can think of a few well known countries that are members of NATO, that chose to arm entire armies with 9mm handguns......yeah, maybe this whole 9mm thing is just a fad. :D
    The times I fired a handgun in anger I would have loved if it had been a larger caliber. Wished it had been a rifle. Hell, I wished it had been close air support! But alas, it was better than throwing one of the rocks under my boots.

GunnerJacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    boston
    I like Remington 870 for my truck gun and have put a tac star forend and pistol grip on it. There are many gun case available in the market which are very useful in keeping your gun comfortable and safely in vehicles. Also comfortable to carry gun from one place to another.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    OK....OP checking back in here. I love all the feedback, good, bad or even rude :)

1st...I totally realize that some people think my Sub2k is underpowered for a truck gun and that I should have a true rifle in a rifle caliber instead. I may even agree to some extent. However, the space between the back of the seat and the back wall of the truck is very tight and the Sub 2k fit in there and the AR was to tight to get in there. Also, I live in an urban area so any need I would have for the Sub2k would be for PD and I am comfortable with the Sub2k for that purpose.

2nd...my EDC is a Glock 26 so the mags for the Sub 2k would work in my EDC if it ever come to that.

3rd...as far a security...I thought about that. I am pretty sure that it would be pretty hard for someone to find that gun behind my seat. Most people cannot even find the latch to fold the seats down even when I tell them where it is. Also, after reading the feedback, I do agree that maybe I should have the gun locked up some how. I looked at it this morning and figured out a way to hook up a cable lock to secure the gun in the truck. Oh...and also I do have a car alarm.

4th....Yes...I do have my Sub2k outfitted with the Red Lion Indexing Forend and their replacement front sight.

5th....I picked the Sub2k for this because I was tired of her being a safe queen and I wanted to get her into duty.

Thanks again for the feedback INGO.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    9mm out of a 16" barrel is on par with a .357 magnum round. Still not a rifle round, but no slouch either. Having a much longer sight radius and a stock makes for MUCH more accurate shooting as well.

Ah the elusive Sub2k in the wild. I envy the owners, but I went the cheap (and available) route with the 995TS. Love it though for the range.

Great setup, OP! I thought about doing something similar with mine, but made it part of a BOB instead.

Everyone poo-pooing the 9mm from a carbine must have forgotten about the HK MP5, and has almost certainly never shot the Sub2k. In an urban or suburban environment, it is perfect. Who needs a 300 yd shot in a neighborhood?

The Sub-2k is an awesome little gun. It is NOT just a pistol. Extra energy from the longer barrel aside, you just cannot overlook the difference between a pistol grip and a shoulder mount that allows a cheek weld. 75 yard shots to center-body mass are easy with properly adjusted "iron" sights. Recoil is nothing with +P, and follow-ups are ridiculously fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....OP checking back in here. I love all the feedback, good, bad or even rude :)

1st...I totally realize that some people think my Sub2k is underpowered for a truck gun and that I should have a true rifle in a rifle caliber instead. I may even agree to some extent. However, the space between the back of the seat and the back wall of the truck is very tight and the Sub 2k fit in there and the AR was to tight to get in there. Also, I live in an urban area so any need I would have for the Sub2k would be for PD and I am comfortable with the Sub2k for that purpose.

2nd...my EDC is a Glock 26 so the mags for the Sub 2k would work in my EDC if it ever come to that.

3rd...as far a security...I thought about that. I am pretty sure that it would be pretty hard for someone to find that gun behind my seat. Most people cannot even find the latch to fold the seats down even when I tell them where it is. Also, after reading the feedback, I do agree that maybe I should have the gun locked up some how. I looked at it this morning and figured out a way to hook up a cable lock to secure the gun in the truck. Oh...and also I do have a car alarm.

4th....Yes...I do have my Sub2k outfitted with the Red Lion Indexing Forend and their replacement front sight.

5th....I picked the Sub2k for this because I was tired of her being a safe queen and I wanted to get her into duty.

Thanks again for the feedback INGO.

Right on.
    Please do not take my comments as rude or snarky. Not my intent. As some have reminded us entire army's are carrying 9mm.
    Seriously, I do not want to get shot by a BB gun let along anything larger. My mind set has always been that if you have to hurl something at someone make the object you hurl as large as possible....:)

Top Bottom