• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I have been wanting an AR for quite some time. I own the popular hunting calibers, 30-30, 30-06 etc... But I wanted a sporting rifle.

I wanted to build it however (I did buy a complete upper), to learn more about the weapon and get some satisfaction from actually creating something.

First, I decided to machine my own lower. The lower I chose was a JMT composite lower. The price is a bit steep, but the jig is excellent, fast shipping, and great tech service (we discussed tooling).

I decided to use a trusty Harbor Freight drill press, with an X-Y vice, to do the machining. Great drill press, everything squared up easily, and we were off and running. I do have almost a decade of machining background, so the concepts here were understood, and I held all of the tolerances within .005" with a drill press. Basically it was roughed with a center cutting .375", 4 flute TiN coated end mill, plunge cutting. I left .015" on the bottom of the pockets, .0625" on the walls.

I then ran multiple finishing passes on the bottom to achieve the proper depth, removing .005" per pass. Then to the walls... I used a Sharpie to color the edges of the jig, like you would use dye while machining metal. I used this as a rough guide. Once I barely skimmed the edges of the jig, I used the actual rifle components, to match machine the pocket widths to the hammer, trigger, and rear takedown lug.

I used a PSA LPK with their enhanced trigger group, (polished, nickel plated). I also installed some SS CCT anti walk/rotation pins. The upper and lower fit VERY tight.

The upper is from Hardened Arms. It is a 1/7, 5.56 chambered, 16" SOCOM with their 10" SDX rail. I did opt for the NiB BCG and the Gunfighter CH. The delivery took 3.5 weeks, but I am very pleased with the build quality of the upper.

I found a great deal on a Bushnell red dot, and mounted that to a mid height riser, and co-witnessed that with a set of Cobratac BUIS. My first rear BUIS from them would not LOCK upright, it simply had a detent... They replaced it no questions asked, within a week. Great service.

Also installed a Gamma 556 compensator.

I've had it at the range a couple times, and I am very pleased. Everything operates flawlessly, and I had a great time building it. Looking forward to milling out a few more lowers, and completing a few more builds!

de492a58a6cc8a7bf7c66b5fe126ffc1.jpg

544f9486549ca7b3609a7758774c6b43.jpg

f9375c9b73d304711d92cf22b087d6ab.jpg

2c6254df9170a88e1f1e5d22259c6d38.jpg

d36491caf59dee38455226d31b406bc1.jpg

61203ed34b1015065bf0cfb9a5040719.jpg

4789df2ff35b564e297a4cc4dcf6586e.jpg

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I would venture to guess that very few people include machining the lower as part of their first build! Looks good.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Basically it was roughed with a center cutting .375", 4 flute TiN coated end mill, plunge cutting. I left .015" on the bottom of the pockets, .0625" on the walls.

My wife and I were just discussing this very same thing over dinner last night!!! :laugh: LOL!

Great job, and *way* beyond my skill level.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Thanks fellas! It was a very cool project... It does take a little finagling to get precision from a drill press. However, it is clear to me now that those pockets are not nearly as critical as I had first anticipated.

My next build will probably not include an assembled upper, I've been feverishly researching upper assembly. So, hopefully the next will be 100% assembled by myself, on an 80% that I machine.

I was was very impatient to build this rifle, but hopefully I can relax now that I have a new toy, and drag out my next build. I will post up that build, when it begins!

Thanks for the forum.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Very sweet.
    I use the same VG6 comp on my AR pistol and it's great. Really helps a lot with a pistol.
    Just a hunch, but I have a feeling this will not be your last build... :ingo:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Looks very nice. Why did you choose a JMT Poly lower over other 80% poly lowers? Just curious if I may ask...

Thanks.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Looks very nice. Why did you choose a JMT Poly lower over other 80% poly lowers? Just curious if I may ask...

Thanks.

I did one of these a few years back. At that time a lot of the poly 80% receivers had issues breaking. Especially at the buffer tube tower. JMT has-had more enforcement then most. they have a good rep. I think most of them have upped there quality these days. I would do another one of the JMT's in a heart beat.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon

Thanks.

The JMT lower is heavily reinforced. They also have a great reputation. I've done a lot of research on poly lower failures, and JMT does not get mentioned. I also think it is the most aesthetically pleasing poly lower, they really did a great job matching the magwell to the Magpul PMag.

I plan to mill another for my pistol build!

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Little late to the discussion but I just built my first two uppers recently and found them to be easier than a lower. The only consideration that needs to be stated is a good torque wrench and barrel wrench. With those two good the rest is cake.

alopez96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Fishers
    Great work. I'm not sure i would do the receiver way you did it if it was me the first time. Way beyond my skill level. How long did it take you to complete the rifle?

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Great work. I'm not sure i would do the receiver way you did it if it was me the first time. Way beyond my skill level. How long did it take you to complete the rifle?

The receiver took a couple hours to mill. Now, much of that time was match machining the pockets to my components, instead of simply hitting the blueprint dimensions.

Once I had all of the parts in house (the upper took 3.5 weeks for delivery), it took about an hour to assemble the lower and mount the sights. The AR platform is a very easy build.

Top Bottom