• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I went to Atterbury today with my dad and wife. We were shooting a 1911 in 45, an XD9SC and 4" XD9. She was very nervous, partially due to the enormous cannons being shot out there at the time. I figured during the Colts game it would be slow, but quite the contrary. Also, the pink Gander Mountain ear muffs I bought her ended up not being very good at suppression so she was put off by the noise. (I wore them after I realized how poor they were)

Fast forward 30 minutes and she was shooting the 9, but anticipating the recoil and hitting 16" low at 7y. I had her dry fire and she dipped the barrel big time when pulling the trigger. We need to do some training at home to get past that.

A nice couple next to us let her shoot a 22 pistol and she really enjoyed that. We went back to the tables and she said "let's go inside and buy a 22 now." I said, seriously? She said yes. She asked how much they were, and I said a few hundred. She stood and started walking towards the counter.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I realize it would be inappropriate to make love to her right there on the spot, even with the range officer not in sight. We went inside and there was a big line, they didn't have one to rent, and I told her it was 15min of paperwork to get one in our hands. I promised I'd research and pick one up this week (probably Walther p22).

At the end of the day I suggested a Ruger Mark III Hunter as it's so accurate. Her response was "But isn't that too big to carry for protection?"

Lights off, music on :rockwoot:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Obviously a keeper.

I was telling my wife I had to get another car because we have kids pacing, waiting for the hand-me-down. She said, "No way, you need to get another bike first." She doesn't want me using up our tourer riding to and from work. And she doesn't care how many guns I have.

Another keeper.

Life. It's really pretty good when you find yourself a keeper. Enjoy!

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I went to Atterbury today with my dad and wife. We were shooting a 1911 in 45, an XD9SC and 4" XD9. She was very nervous, partially due to the enormous cannons being shot out there at the time. I figured during the Colts game it would be slow, but quite the contrary. Also, the pink Gander Mountain ear muffs I bought her ended up not being very good at suppression so she was put off by the noise. (I wore them after I realized how poor they were)

Fast forward 30 minutes and she was shooting the 9, but anticipating the recoil and hitting 16" low at 7y. I had her dry fire and she dipped the barrel big time when pulling the trigger. We need to do some training at home to get past that.

A nice couple next to us let her shoot a 22 pistol and she really enjoyed that. We went back to the tables and she said "let's go inside and buy a 22 now." I said, seriously? She said yes. She asked how much they were, and I said a few hundred. She stood and started walking towards the counter.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I realize it would be inappropriate to make love to her right there on the spot, even with the range officer not in sight. We went inside and there was a big line, they didn't have one to rent, and I told her it was 15min of paperwork to get one in our hands. I promised I'd research and pick one up this week (probably Walther p22).

At the end of the day I suggested a Ruger Mark III Hunter as it's so accurate. Her response was "But isn't that too big to carry for protection?"

Lights off, music on :rockwoot:

Whatever you decide will have been more worth-while than watching the Dolts and the Purdue Golden Girl. :):

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    After she's comfortable with the 22 move her up to something bigger for edc.

I totally agree. I have been trying to get her to carry a framing hammer for a while now but she's resisting.

At the end of our range trip she said the 9 felt more comfortable but she's just not accurate. We are hoping to find a course that works for our schedules and get her some good training (not from me).

I don't really see her carrying frequently but it's good to see her considering the possibility. Six months ago she was "anti-gun" and didn't want them in the house. It's funny how a couple of kids can turn a momma bear into a Grizzly rather quickly.

As an aside, we have a German staying with us for a year and she asked today if she could go to the range with us some time. That was the biggest surprise of all since all guns need to be registered and the society in general is not supportive of personal protection with guns.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Great story.
    Only thing you could have done differently is to add plugs under those earmuffs when you found they weren't doing the job. Totally makes a difference.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Great story.
    Only thing you could have done differently is to add plugs under those earmuffs when you found they weren't doing the job. Totally makes a difference.

Good thought. I had a bag of them in my range bag but I opted to just roll with the pink muffs. Thanks for the :facepalm: moment

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Great story.
    It sure does! Atterbury has those and good traditional muffs also. If my wife and I were there, we keep some in our range bag as give aways for just such contingencies.
    We need to get back to Atterbury real soon! It's always a great time, and my wife seems to enjoy it just as much as I do. :)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Just explain to her that's why she needs more than one gun. Remember to make sure it fits her hands well. My wife has has small hands. She loves combat stlye grips because they fit her hands well. She also wanted something that she could shoot without "thinking about it" in her words. She picked a 38 revolver. She can shoot the autos but prefers the revolver. Her first choice is the 44 mag carbine though. We live in the country and you don't want to be caught on the property and be met with that in her hands. You have to love a woman that likes to shoot.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Just explain to her that's why she needs more than one gun

The beauty of that is, there are guns available in .22 that have their twin (or close) available in self defense calibers. Practice cheap, obtain "muscle memory", carry big...

(e.g. Bersa, Walther, etc.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom