• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We were talking on the phones to each other while she was driving home from dropping off kids at school and tells me there is a guy walking around our back yard. I told her to grab her gun from the bookshelf safe I. The house before she proceeds. I am told she tucked it in her waistband behind her back. She went around the house and asked him to leave while I was on the phone. After a minute, seemed like forever, of asking him to leave I hear her tell him to stop advancing and I heard the safety get flipped off. At this point I call my dispatcher and told her to call FWPD on my radio. Right them my wife says he's gone. I told her to get the kids inside the house and wait for PD.

The guy hightailed it when my wife drew the gun and she regained trigger control until he left our property. I calmed her down until PD arrived. She called me back whole they looked for the guy and tells me she wants a LTCH, a Sig P938 like mine and a purse designed for CC.

I am really happy that my wife and two kids are ok, but I am over joyed that my wife wants to carry. Put a check mark in the WIN column! She says she will no longer complain when I carry because she now understands.

As for the conclusion, the guy was found. He lives in am addition on the other side of a creek behind our house. Was confused of where he was when they found him.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Tagged. Would love to hear more details. I have a few questions/comments to make later when I am not on my smart phone.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    As for the conclusion, the guy was found. He lives in am addition on the other side of a creek behind our house. Was confused of where he was when they found him.

Did your wife draw on a friendly neighbor who just got lost???

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A friendly neighbor does not approach a woman when asked to leave the property. Your arguement is invalid if you are saying my wife was wrong. I have interrupted two potential theives from breaking in this past year, my wife is not going to take chances. The worst of it is we live on a very busy street!

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Did your wife draw on a friendly neighbor who just got lost???

Any grown man who is on my property and is told to stop advancing on my wife and children will be drawn on, then we figure out the situation. Theirs no way in hell im going to tell my wife to let the man get close to her, then draw on him if he starts beating on her.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A woman alone with children and an un-known male wondering around the yard is a recipe for disaster. She did absolutely the right thing even if the man was confused.
    Confused or not he knew to leave the area when she drew on him. The confusion could have been drug induced or just an act.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It seems that when she drew the weapon he gained enough clarity of the situation that he stopped. Mission accomplished. There are many forms of communication. The only important thing is that the message was received.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    She told him to stop advancing. Apparently, he didn't. I think she did a very good job.
    I agree, as did the officers responding.

I will admit the guy may not have been of the right mind at that moment. Whether it is related to prescriptions or illegal, he scared my wife enough she thought she needed to shoot him. Luckily she did not have to, but she does not scare easily.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Glad everything turned out for the better. If someone were wondering around my yard aimlessly, confused or not, I doubt I would have responded any differently. I guarantee the only thing my wife would have done differently would have been to grab her shotgun, and left the pistol in her belt holster. Fortunately for all involved she didnt have to shoot, but its a good idea to have a pre-determined "line in the sand" that she knows, without question, that she cannot let the person cross.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Glad everything turned out for the better. If someone were wondering around my yard aimlessly, confused or not, I doubt I would have responded any differently. I guarantee the only thing my wife would have done differently would have been to grab her shotgun, and left the pistol in her belt holster. Fortunately for all involved she didnt have to shoot, but its a good idea to have a pre-determined "line in the sand" that she knows, without question, that she cannot let the person cross.
    She doesn't have her LTCH yet, so she had to get the gun from inside the house. Thankfully everyone walked away without a scratch. The bonus is my wife will be a gun toting momma pretty soon.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I say good for her. For the record I have no problem with your wife pointing a gun at this particular person.

Now for a critique. Where were the kids during this? Did she see the guy while coming home? She had to retrieve the gun to then go confront the guy? I ask all this because was there the opportunity for her not to interact with this guy? It might have been possible for her to keep driving or maybe go into the house and lock the doors. Yes I know it is your property but why take chances. Now if the kids were outside playing and she sees this guy wondering in that changes everything.

Even without an LTCH she can carry her gun while at home. I say get her a holster.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Scary. A friend of mine recently had a guy knock on her door who said he wanted to inspect her basement for pests. She was feeling sick so she didn't let him in. She was annoyed at what she thought was a legit cold call. I'm like, "DO NOT LET MEN INTO YOUR HOUSE UNLESS THEY MADE AN APPOINTMENT AHEAD OF TIME."

Glad your wife wants to carry.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I say good for her. For the record I have no problem with your wife pointing a gun at this particular person.

Now for a critique. Where were the kids during this? Did she see the guy while coming home? She had to retrieve the gun to then go confront the guy? I ask all this because was there the opportunity for her not to interact with this guy? It might have been possible for her to keep driving or maybe go into the house and lock the doors. Yes I know it is your property but why take chances. Now if the kids were outside playing and she sees this guy wondering in that changes everything.

Even without an LTCH she can carry her gun while at home. I say get her a holster.

I can respect that critique. A good point about her traveling on. In reality, she likely could have, maybe she should have. That is a good point. Especially since the kids were in the car with her. As for the gun, she was pulling kids out when she noticed him. She shuffled them inside. The gun was inside the house and she just reacted.

My wife was a little worked up this morning, so that might account for her wanting to confront the guy. I will discuss with her some other ways to approach this if it happens again. Thanks for pointing out those possible actions.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    We were talking on the phones to each other while she was driving home from dropping off kids at school and tells me there is a guy walking around our back yard. I told her to grab her gun from the bookshelf safe I. The house before she proceeds. I am told she tucked it in her waistband behind her back. She went around the house and asked him to leave while I was on the phone.

Do what? So she's driving in a car and while she's pulling in (or close to the house) she sees a suspicious looking guy in the back yard. Instead of telling her to put the car in reverse and call the police, you tell her to grab a gun from the house (while the kids are....?) and go confront the guy? I hope it didn't happen like it sounds in what I've quoted above, because that was the absolute worst way to handle the situation.

At their absolute best, guns give you a better chance of surviving, they are not impenetrable shields that let you walk up on unknown suspicious individuals with the confidence that your gun will save you.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    She was already on the running board pulling kids out when she noticed him and hit the front door of the house. As I have stated above, maybe she should have just drove off. But, she didn't do that and my best advice was for her to arm herself. She admitted that she was frightened and that she hopes she doesn't do it again. She also would like a LTCH because she now realizes there are crazy or weird ones out there.

Top Bottom