• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I have tried to find the right gun for my wife. I had a G17 for myself, and got her a G26. She was having trouble racking the slide on the 26, but not the 17. Are the springs different for each of those? She has now taken over my G17, and I am stuck with the 26. I don't mind it, but I prefer the full size. Can I get a new, lighter spring for the 26, without it creating any problems? Thanks for the help.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have tried to find the right gun for my wife. I had a G17 for myself, and got her a G26. She was having trouble racking the slide on the 26, but not the 17. Are the springs different for each of those? She has now taken over my G17, and I am stuck with the 26. I don't mind it, but I prefer the full size. Can I get a new, lighter spring for the 26, without it creating any problems? Thanks for the help.

Gen 3 G19?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The guns she wants are the really expensive ones!

I get that. But seriously take her to a shop that has a large selection and let her handle as many as she can. And don't bypass the ones you don't care for or don't look as good as another one. Aim for good hand fit first. On some you can change sections of the grip to aid in fitment.

And don't overlook a single stack pistol. A lot of those have a nice feel in the hand. My wife who is petite really likes my 1911.

And look at revolvers. We tend to overlook them because we are all caught up in the semi-auto, have to have lot's of bullets mentality. A pistol that she either can't or won't shoot is not near as good as a revolver that she can and will shoot. My wife shoots all of my firearms at least once but she has her favorites. And those are the ones she shoots time and again when we go to the range.

Just my :twocents:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Or let her pick out a gun...
    This! Also, if she tries racking the slide where she uses the top hand to simply hold the slide and use the bottom hand the push the frame of the gun forward it may work better. I taught my wife to do it that way and now she can rack any gun. She's not strong either, 5 feet tall 100 lbs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    This! Also, if she tries racking the slide where she uses the top hand to simply hold the slide and use the bottom hand the push the frame of the gun forward it may work better. I taught my wife to do it that way and now she can rack any gun. She's not strong either, 5 feet tall 100 lbs.

This is how I do it and it works so much easier!! Have her use her dominant hand to push the frame of the gun.

The Well Armed Woman web site has some really good articles for women (or anyone) learning to shoot and that was where I first saw this tip.

USPc40

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Madison County
    My wife did pick her own gun, a G26. We have taken classes and she just can't hit where she aims. She tried my G19 and the difference is night and day, hits where she aims. I think being able to fit her whole hand on the grip vs having the pinkie on a magazine extension, and the longer barrel make a big difference.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    My wife did pick her own gun, a G26. We have taken classes and she just can't hit where she aims. She tried my G19 and the difference is night and day, hits where she aims. I think being able to fit her whole hand on the grip vs having the pinkie on a magazine extension, and the longer barrel make a big difference.
    Surprised that the mag extension does not do the trick for her. Have you tried the Pierce brand?

Top Bottom