• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Some states have misdemeanors that you can be imprisoned for more than 1 year. Indiana is not one of those, maximum sentence for a misdemeanor is one year/365 days.

There are no misdemeanors under Indiana law which carry a sentence of more than one year imprisonment. The highest level of misdemeanor "A" carries a sentence of no more than 365 days, which is the classification which carrying a handgun without a license falls in.

Under certain circumstances, a judge can run sentences on multiple misdemeanor counts consecutively resulting in a aggregate sentence of over one year. However, since none of the crimes themself carry such a sentence, they do not disqualify under the federal statute.

Edit: If a habitual vehiclular substance offender enhancement is added to an OWI misdemeanor, the aggregate sentence can exceed one year. I do not know how the feds treat sentence enhancements when the underlying crime itself cannot receive any more than 365 days imprisonment.

Thanks. Hope to never find out personally.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    As a gun enthusiast my whole life i fully support the second amendment and the gun rights of law abiding citizens. That being said i absolutely can not stand these people who use their weapons to try to make a point. That's not what the second amendment is about, and that's not what weapons are for. These idiots are giving the rest of us a bad rap.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    2 crimes from 1 event.

and that's why I asked the question, because the first crime was
    carrying a handgun without a license is a class a misdemeanor sentence of 365 days

and the second was
    trespassing (he was asked to leave, and didn't) so if the judge sentenced him to 1 day that=366 days

so the person in the original post, cant (wont) lose his gun rights if convicted on both charges?

(asking for a friend!)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    and that's why I asked the question, because the first crime was
    carrying a handgun without a license is a class a misdemeanor sentence of 365 days

and the second was
    trespassing (he was asked to leave, and didn't) so if the judge sentenced him to 1 day that=366 days

so the person in the original post, cant (wont) lose his gun rights if convicted on both charges?

(asking for a friend!)

No.

You have to be convicted of A Crime for which the maximum penalty exceeds one year. 2 crimes that can add up to more than 1 year are not "a crime"...which is singular.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/450859-mye-rieeets-11.html#post7454228

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    These kinda of guys are just asking for it. Remind me of a guy that was a foreman and Everytime I seen him outside of work he still wore his WHITE HARD HAT.. which signified he was a boss .. IDIOT

Top Bottom