• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I picked up a 657-4 a couple of weeks ago and am just now getting around to working up a load for it. Gun looks great, very light drag ring on cylinder, locks up tight, dry fired fine etc.
    Problem is, after 20 rounds the cylinder started locking up, couldn't cock the hammer- couldn't pull the trigger. After some fiddling with the cylinder latch (which seemed to be sticking) I got it to function properly about half the time for the remainder of what I had left to shoot- about 20 more plinking loads of 8 gr Unique under a 215 kieth style cast bullet- not exactly something that should bind a gun up.
    Anyhow- long story short- I thought the bolt may have had a piece of trash on it, or the ejector rod had backed out. Cleaned everything and unscewed the ejector rod (which doesn't seem bent) while supporting the star with 6 empty cases and then cleaned it and ran it back all the way in and it's still locking up.
    With the sideplate off I can see that for some unknown reason the bolt doesn't travel far enough to the rear when the cylinder is placed in the frame to let the hammer clear the bolt. Everything locks up fine, if I hold the cyl. latch to the rear I can work the action just fine (haven't shot it that way though)
    I just can't figure this out, I've had several N frames over the years and never had a minutes trouble out of any of them- this one has me scratching my head to say the least.
    Has anybody ever had this happen? I wouldn't think the bolt is worn to the point it would cause this on a fairly new gun. I hope it doesn't have to go back to the factory, but at this point it's got me beat.
    Thanks guys,
    Jason

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I've had Smith revolvers (J, K, L, and N frames) for decades, and this is the first time I've heard "bolt" to refer to some part on those guns, but, perhaps, I've missed something.

What is this bolt you mention?

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I am referring to the locking bolt, or sometimes just referred to as the cylinder catch- it's the piece inside the frame that the thumbpiece fastens to. For some reason it is not returning far enough rearward on it's own to clear the hammer.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Could this be an issue with the lock? I know when S&W came out with the .500 S&W Magnum my local dealer was forced to send back the first three he sold because the cylinder locked up on all of them. One with the first cylinder full of ammunition. All of them were a result of the infamous failed lock mechanism. It was so bad he stopped selling them for 6 months until S&W supposedly got it ironed out. There have been a lot of people having trouble with this. Just thought I would mention it as a possible source of the problem. Bill T.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    sounds to me as someone bubba smithed a over size hand in it......it's fine when cold and then when it warms up it get out of time....just my:twocents:

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    A few lite swips with a stone might correct it, but really I would send it back to S&W. They'll take care of it.

;) good advice. my younger brother bought a new 657 years ago and had trouble with it . its been so long i forgot exactly what.... but i'd call S&W and ask for advice they might be able to help. 800-331-0852

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Thanks for the help, just dropped it off at FedEx to send it back to the factory. I've heard nothing but good things about S&W customer service.... I guess we're about to find out.
    They make it real easy to send something back, just send them an e-mail stating the problem and within a day or so they e-mail you back with a FedEx label you print out. They also say they insure it both ways as well, but I hope to not need that service.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I picked up a 657-4 a couple of weeks ago and am just now getting around to working up a load for it. Gun looks great, very light drag ring on cylinder, locks up tight, dry fired fine etc.
    Problem is, after 20 rounds the cylinder started locking up, couldn't cock the hammer- couldn't pull the trigger. After some fiddling with the cylinder latch (which seemed to be sticking) I got it to function properly about half the time for the remainder of what I had left to shoot- about 20 more plinking loads of 8 gr Unique under a 215 kieth style cast bullet- not exactly something that should bind a gun up.
    Anyhow- long story short- I thought the bolt may have had a piece of trash on it, or the ejector rod had backed out. Cleaned everything and unscewed the ejector rod (which doesn't seem bent) while supporting the star with 6 empty cases and then cleaned it and ran it back all the way in and it's still locking up.
    With the sideplate off I can see that for some unknown reason the bolt doesn't travel far enough to the rear when the cylinder is placed in the frame to let the hammer clear the bolt. Everything locks up fine, if I hold the cyl. latch to the rear I can work the action just fine (haven't shot it that way though)
    I just can't figure this out, I've had several N frames over the years and never had a minutes trouble out of any of them- this one has me scratching my head to say the least.
    Has anybody ever had this happen? I wouldn't think the bolt is worn to the point it would cause this on a fairly new gun. I hope it doesn't have to go back to the factory, but at this point it's got me beat.
    Thanks guys,
    Jason

Your 657 will be fix by S & W for F R E E:rockwoot:Just give them a CALL

Top Bottom