• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    This has not gone unnoticed among civil libertarian left leaning folks -- the ACLU aint what it used to be, not even a little. I left the org (as in cancelled my membership in both the national and state orgs -- I had also generally given a little extra each year, but not much -- Joined FIRE instead and still have a normal membership there) when they said they'd stop taking assembly cases when people are lawfully exercising rights protected in the next amendment in the list....

There was essentially an internal battle there between the Cali ACLU and the national org btw, that Cali effectively won. Libertarian types like Moynihan have talked about that in some depth.

Yeah. That has been a real shame. ACLU did it on the left. They became Democrats rather than Civil Liberties.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    That an organization like the NRA is still "registered" in an anti-gun state like NY amazes me. They should have left for a friendlier clime long ago.

I got an email from Wayne this morning. Surprisingly, it didn't ask for money, just presented the NRA's (Wayne's) side of the argument.
    The following quote from Wayne really makes you wonder why the NRA didn't register as a corporation in a 2A friendly state like Indiana.

In fact, years ago, NRA board member Tom King was privately warned by then NYAG Eric Schneiderman that an attack was being engineered against the NRA. An “investigation” of our Association – from the highest levels of government – was on the horizon.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    INGO Legal Eagles!

Is this a viable course of action?

Could NRA Members Intervene To Stop NY Suit To Dissolve The NRA?

Ammoland article.

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/08/could-nra-members-intervene-to-stop-ny-suit-to-dissolve-the-nra/

The problem is with item 2 in his list of things NRA members are supposed to assert. Clearly the NYAG does have the authority to go after an organization that violated NY statutes:

2. That the NYAG does not have the legal authority to assert her claims against the NRA based on the alleged wrongs of its individual leadership, and that those claims (even if true) can only be properly brought by the NRA members.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    The problem is with item 2 in his list of things NRA members are supposed to assert. Clearly the NYAG does have the authority to go after an organization that violated NY statutes:

2. That the NYAG does not have the legal authority to assert her claims against the NRA based on the alleged wrongs of its individual leadership, and that those claims (even if true) can only be properly brought by the NRA members.
    Everything else looks valid though. It even seems like item 3 is premised on item 2 failing

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

From the article: "While the NRA as a whole may no longer be in jeopardy, other targets of the AG’s investigation and lawsuit such as LaPierre and a host of current and former officers and directors still have much to be concerned about."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

From the article: "While the NRA as a whole may no longer be in jeopardy, other targets of the AG’s investigation and lawsuit such as LaPierre and a host of current and former officers and directors still have much to be concerned about."
    If they have the goods on WPL, and this is not just a witch hunt or retribution for supporting Trump then get off the pot, charge him, convict him and lets get on down the road. But no, this limbo serves the lefts interests. Keep WPL in but under a cloud so they have effectively neutered the organization…

Top Bottom