• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I recall one episode, at least I think it was this show, where the girl brought a blast match and they broke it the 1st or 2nd day.

I couldn't do the show, not because of the survival aspect, but I couldn't go that long barefoot. It makes me cringe every episode. I could let it all air out and be fine and dandy as long as I had some shoes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How about a large cat. When you get hungry a week or two in, you can eat the cat and use the fur to make a garment. Until then, you have some self-cleaning and reusable toilet paper.

until the cat decides it has had enough of your **** (literally) and decides to latch onto your twig and berries with teeth and claws. :lmfao:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Assuming I could get really good at primitive fire making, I'd take a big stainless steel pot with a handle. Boil water, carry water, carry other stuff, dig, signal mirror, impact weapon, trap for small game, cook pot, etc. etc. etc.

I also wonder why they don't use debris or foliage to make a rudimentary blanket when they are shivering cold.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'd bring a clear mind on the objective. I've seen both males and females on the show said sharing body heat is out of the question due to concerns from the stay behind spouse. It isn't sex it's survive. I stopped watching after a few shows.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I agree w/churchmouse. I'd bring a spool of 550 cord if i could. It doesn't take much effort to weave a net, lashed onto a few tree branches to make a tree-net shelter, and tie some foliage above, around the sides depending on spool size, all without cutting the string at all (so it's even a portable shelter given an hour to set up for the novice). I could cut the string and use it for bowstring (I'm proficient with shooting off the knuckle) for a bow & arrow I can make (yep I can make it), I could also make a spear for the ultimate traditional hunting experience (given a knife or not). For fire, I could fashion a sequoia fire pump, lashing 2 rocks against a drill, and other sticks for the handle. Cordage could be used for traps and nooses, especially 550 :).

If the partner again brought a knife (preferably a Kukri), acquire a log, use fire embers to burn a bowl shape into the log; now you have a cup/bowl you can put hot rocks in! Aside the possible knife, I got shelter, fire, traps, a spear, and bow depending on arrow material around. Given enough time I'm sure I could fashion a fishing net as well (21 days, what the hell else am I gonna do?).

Give me string (or lots of time and a stand of Stinging Nettles) and I shall live well!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I know that the show "Naked and Afraid" has been discussed here. I recently discovered the show, and, like others, have found it lacking in a variety of respects. For me, however, it does suggest a thought exercise. If you were selected for this show and could truly pick any ONE item, without knowing what locale you'd be dumped into, what would it be? Let's forget the partner, and assume you got a knife as a freebee (as a knife is often picked by the partner).

I find myself thinking about a roll of clear plastic. Shelter, solar still, make a cup for solar/UV purification, keep you dry, rudimentary clothes, etc. It has a lot of uses.

(As an aside, I've also wondered why none of the people has unraveled their bag to make cordage for snares or to sew a garment. But please don't get sidetracked by ranting on the show!)

So, other than the knife, what would be your ONE item? (No kits, condos, vehicles, resort hotels, etc., please.)

I spent some time last summer with some of the crew from the show. The bags are where the microphone receiver / battery pack thing goes since they aren't wearing any pants to clip it to. The microphone is actually the bead on the necklace that they all wear, since they can't wear a wired one under the shirt like you normally do for film.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As far as what item, that's a good question. It would really have to depend on where I was going. I'm terrible at making a primitive fire so if I were going somewhere wet, a metal match or BIC might be indispensable. If it were somewhere buggy, I'm not sure I would be able to make it 21 days without a mosquito net :laugh: The earlier suggestion of a sheet of plastic might really be the best all around answer though.

Top Bottom