• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ok, Ive been having a conversation about putting your name/city/state on an SBR build. Ive found a guy who says that if you are building a gun from parts, ala AK parts kit, then yes you do, as your the manufacturer, BUT if your modifying a gun that is already built (ex: Colt AR-15 SBR that you install a short barrel on), then you do not have to add your name/city/state.

The guy has even asked the ATF tech dept with a letter and has a reply as such.

So I know the general consensus HERE (ie INGO) is that you have to add your name/city/state to the receiver, and Ive been planning to do that all along, BUT is that actually required? I would love to see some actual documentation showing that the ATF wants this info on the firearm that already has manufacturers information on it.

thanks,
    Clay

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You must put your info on it, even if it started as a complete gun. The legalese of it is that guns must have manufacturer info on them. You are "manufacturing" a title II gun from a title I gun therefore you are the manufacturer and the info must be engraved as such.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Guys, Im not doubting you, so please dont take it that way, but Im looking for documentation.

I believe what you say VUPDblue, and thats still what I plan to do. But Ive now seen documentation that says otherwise, and would just like to see documentation that backs up what Ive thought was right for a long time. :)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    First of all, an opinion letter is only good for the person it was written, and they are often contradicted, so it can't be considered "law". I've seen another letter stating that you DID have to engrave, I'll see if I find it on the 'net and post it here. The CFR regs state that you have to engrave as a manufacturer, but I believe this letter cleared it up for the case you were stating.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    ATFengravingletter.jpg

In the letter you will find the applicable codes that cite and state the engraving your info..

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Clay just to be clear for me... Is the gun already a SBR and your just wanting to change the length of the barrel?

I read your example as the gun is a Colt SBR? Sorry if I read that wrong..

nope, that was just an example. Im in the process of building a Draco, so Im doing research before I send out my form 1.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    F! I gotta Spell Tennyson on my gun :( Everybody is going make fun of me! So question, Can I put P.C.S (intials) and Warrick Co Indiana? I am not going live with my parents forever and when I get out the Marines I am going move to Vanderburgh CO or another place in Warrick CO. Whats options? Where do people put them at like my Draco?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks Jahred! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Good enough for me.

Shooter1 - Ive been told your first initial followed by your last name is required. Then City, State, where the state abbrev is acceptable.

Example:

J. Doe
    Tennyson, IN

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've always read that you are to engrave what is on line 3b of your Form 1. Abbreviations are acceptable only for common city names like, NY, NY or St. Louis.

You have to engrave your name as it appears on your Form 1. Also, if you have a trust, you can't engrave Joe Schmoe RLT, it needs to say Revocable Living Trust if that is what it's named.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I don't care what anyone has done or said, I'm doing first and last night. No possible issues!

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Thanks Jahred! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Good enough for me.

Shooter1 - Ive been told your first initial followed by your last name is required. Then City, State, where the state abbrev is acceptable.

Example:

J. Doe
    Tennyson, IN

This is how I mark mine.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That's just it. It doesn't cost any more to get the whole name engraved, and Form 1'd SBR's are not really a hot commodity on the resale market, so why mess with it. Just engrave the whole first name.

Top Bottom