• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    1. Stanley utility knife. The straight edge is great for all kinds of knife work. The carpet cutting blade makes a great gut hook.

2. Old Hickory kitchen knives. 1095 steel blade, walnut handle. In all seriousness if you were down to one blade and had an Old Hickory 7" butcher, you'd have all the knife you need for all knife tasks.

3. Ranger Knives pre-Ontario buyout. If you can find the originals that were hand made by Ranger Justin Gingrich, they're great. He bought out a huge stock of blade blanks from Busse and hand made many blades he sold for 100-200 bucks a pop. I can't speak for them since Ontario Knives bought his company.

4. Muela, sometimes. Spanish company I think. I picked up one at a Big Red some time ago. Was a decent blade, especially for the price.

5. An axe. Any axe. You see, in the past 5-10 years some people seem to have developed this idea that a knife is intended to do jobs that for the past 1,000,000,000 years were done by axes. Chopping trees. Splitting wood. Hammering wooden stakes into the ground, etc.... If you think that these are tasks that a knife is the most ideal tool for, you're really under rating the axe as a knife.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I used to have an old buck knive that was my grandpa's edc. I know people like them, but that knife was over 50 and was amazing....now I hope I can find it!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The whole knife market is very confusing. First you have what seems to be custom knife makers popping up everywhere. Second you have everyone and their brother going to China to turn out mostly crap. Even well know quality brand name companies have crap lines made in China. Then there are the counterfeiters...

The two brands I think are the most unrated knives out there are the Frosts and Mora from Sweden. Reasonably priced and excellent quality. The best value for your dollar on the market.

I was questioned about the comment I made about the Frosts above. That is in reference to Frosts of Sweden NOT the Frost knives sold by those weirdos on late night TV on the weekends. Clarification submitted.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    1. Stanley utility knife. The straight edge is great for all kinds of knife work. The carpet cutting blade makes a great gut hook.

2. Old Hickory kitchen knives. 1095 steel blade, walnut handle. In all seriousness if you were down to one blade and had an Old Hickory 7" butcher, you'd have all the knife you need for all knife tasks.

3. Ranger Knives pre-Ontario buyout. If you can find the originals that were hand made by Ranger Justin Gingrich, they're great. He bought out a huge stock of blade blanks from Busse and hand made many blades he sold for 100-200 bucks a pop. I can't speak for them since Ontario Knives bought his company.

4. Muela, sometimes. Spanish company I think. I picked up one at a Big Red some time ago. Was a decent blade, especially for the price.

5. An axe. Any axe. You see, in the past 5-10 years some people seem to have developed this idea that a knife is intended to do jobs that for the past 1,000,000,000 years were done by axes. Chopping trees. Splitting wood. Hammering wooden stakes into the ground, etc.... If you think that these are tasks that a knife is the most ideal tool for, you're really under rating the axe as a knife.
    Back in the old days example #2 on your list is what they used to use for an all purpose knife. The Condor Hudson Bay is another good example and a nice all around big knife for the price.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Blind horse and Himalayan Imports

Dan from BHK is a great guy to talk to, I make it a point to spend a while the BHK table at every gunshow to hear his stories.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have personal experience with both the Kershaw Rake and the Kershaw Junk Yard Dog II. I kind of consider both of them to be "Zero Tolerance lite". Coincidentally, they're made by the same folks.

-J-

Top Bottom