• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This movie would have come out between 1995-97. The main character was a black guy (bald in the movie IIRC) and it was set in the late 1800's I believe. The main character was accused of rape and was taken out and hung. It didn't break his neck and he managed to pull himself up after the lynch mob left.

I can't remember the name of it and would like to watch it again. It was a great movie and gave insight what it was like to be a black man in those times.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only movie that comes to mind is Rosewood with Ving Rhames. Don't know if that is it or not. Been a while since I've seen it but it sounds like I remember it. Rosewood (1997) - IMDb

It's Rosewood, good call. Interestingly enough, tho the story has been "dressed up," the movie is based on the actual historically documented massacre of the black residents in Rosewood, FL. I was in college at UF when the movie came out, and was surprised to learn that Rosewood neighbored Gainesville. I've actually been to the site of the town. I have no idea the actual figures of those killed, but local old-timers say that the "official" numbers of those killed was only a tiny fraction of those actually murdered.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Got my dvd yesterday and just finished watching it. Can't believe how much I had forgotten about it. Words can't express....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Got my dvd yesterday and just finished watching it. Can't believe how much I had forgotten about it. Words can't express....

One thing about that movie, which is factual, is after the white mob had destroyed Rosewood, they were intent on continuing on to Gainesville, and killing the blacks there. The white residents of Gainesville, upon hearing about the mob, took up arms and met the mob on the road and told them that if they indended to kill the black residents of Gainesville, they were going to have to kill the whites as well. The mob then turned back. One of those little interesting footnotes that is often forgotten by history.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One thing about that movie, which is factual, is after the white mob had destroyed Rosewood, they were intent on continuing on to Gainesville, and killing the blacks there. The white residents of Gainesville, upon hearing about the mob, took up arms and met the mob on the road and told them that if they indended to kill the black residents of Gainesville, they were going to have to kill the whites as well. The mob then turned back. One of those little interesting footnotes that is often forgotten by history.

It'd be nice to know what was actual fact vs fiction. Unfortunately many of the facts of the events have been lost due to silence, etc over the years.

Top Bottom