IMG_5546.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 15

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    We had them all around our farm. My Dad used a golf putter club, cut off the end and made a half loop from a coat hanger to move them. We all learned how to gently lift them and walk them to the woods to release them.
    We had some other black snakes which I think were King snakes, and very few mice around.
    Dad forbid us to hurt any snake, and never saw any rattlers, or cottonmouths around.
    They would come out and lay on the concrete patio behind our house, to sunbathe.
    My Mom didn't like them at all. She would call us in, hand us the hook, and point where it would be.
    When I stayed in Arkansas, there were Cottonmouths, Eastern Diamonbacks, Copperheads, and some nasty water snakes unknown . Creepy times.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You can (doesn't apply to coral snakes), but you may not want to get that close.

And you can name the snake anything you want, but it can't hear you. Snakes have no ears.
    Snakes pupils only signify whether or not they are nocturnal hunters (vertical pupils) or diurnal.

I remember when I was younger I was always told “stay away from triangular heads” and “if they have vertical pupils theyre venomous”.

Sadly, neither are true, and there really is no defining characteristics to visually tell if a snake is venomous or not.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Snakes pupils only signify whether or not they are nocturnal hunters (vertical pupils) or diurnal.

I remember when I was younger I was always told “stay away from triangular heads” and “if they have vertical pupils theyre venomous”.

Sadly, neither are true, and there really is no defining characteristics to visually tell if a snake is venomous or not.
    I know for a fact, a headless snake is not venomous nor can it bite you. :dunno:

Top Bottom