• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    No one here can accuse me of LEO bashing as I am a retired/disabled LEO.

IF the story here is true one can only ask WTF?

Main or lead story about the incident: Mother of 3 Arrested for Taking Pictures of Tourist Attraction at Airport Long Island Lawyer Blog

And the OOPS by the govt on not answering the lawsuit that leads to a possible default judgement: Nancy Genovese Lawsuit Updates: Town of Southampton in Default Long Island Lawyer Blog

IF it is as it seems and is portrayed then GOOD FOR HER.

What says you?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The city deserves to lose, if for no other reason than they hired that incompetent fool of an attorney knowing his background. Too bad for the taxpayers. They SHOULD be angry.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Photographing a sensitive location; possessing a rifle; carrying $13,000. Perhaps textbook traits of a world class terrorist, but what were these officers thinking?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Photographing a sensitive location; possessing a rifle; carrying $13,000. Perhaps textbook traits of a world class terrorist, but what were these officers thinking?

I'm sure she was treated like a terrorist before the rifle and cash were discovered.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    If even half of what this story conveys happened, that tells me that there is a huge issue with law enforcement, (at least in Suffolk County)and not just patrolmen. This involved D.H.S., the F.B.I., and the undersheriff all the way down to the jailers. It's stories like this that give public services, no matter which one, a bad rap.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wow, IF this is all true, I have no words. The problem is the attorney didn't file a response so how will we know the other side of the story? I did some research on this and it seems as with everything, the truth may be somewhere in the middle. It turns out it was an ANG base and she'd been caught snooping around previously. Here is a link to an archived myspace page that belongs to her:

http://www.webcitation.org/mainframe.php

She apparently claimed to be harrassed by FEMA and worried about concentration camps. I don't guess she was the calm, compliant victim the story makes her out to be. I guess anything is possible, but I'm thinking there is more to the story than what the woman is claiming.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    No one here can accuse me of LEO bashing as I am a retired/disabled LEO.

IF the story here is true one can only ask WTF?

Main or lead story about the incident: Mother of 3 Arrested for Taking Pictures of Tourist Attraction at Airport Long Island Lawyer Blog

And the OOPS by the govt on not answering the lawsuit that leads to a possible default judgement: Nancy Genovese Lawsuit Updates: Town of Southampton in Default Long Island Lawyer Blog

IF it is as it seems and is portrayed then GOOD FOR HER.

What says you?

I say those so-called officers all need to be executed. This kind of thing is sickening.

Edit: After due process, of course.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    :tinfoil: It matters not if she is a tin foil wearing nut, IF she was parked legally, taking pictures from public property. IF the Air Guard base has something so secret in the helicopter shell on display then I suggest they cover it, or remove it, or put their secret stuff away from a local landmark that will get photographed from public property.

:tinfoil: Also if her weapons were legally being transported according to the rules of the state, county, township, city, sub-city district, neighborhood group, and who ever up there has say in firearms laws. (Seems everybody but the gun owner has a say up there) Then what is the issue.

:tinfoil: Alot of the treatment she was supposed to have been subjected to could easily be verified or not, don't those folks up there have video everywhere? If they do as soon as the lawsuit was filed any attorney would request copies via disclosure.

:tinfoil: Assuming the story is somewhere in the middle she still has a legit complaint, and when the DA won't persue the charges then it is a :ugh: situation for the police. They could have easily gotten all her info, and turned it over to the DHS, FBI, NYSP. I think what happened was she asked questions or had an attitude of not wanting to be pushed around and the local cops reacted with the Me Da Boss syndrome called the feds to cover their arse and when the feds said nope not an issue the locals were too invested in it to let it loose. They probably figured she would go away and be glad she was released. They didn't know she had money and wasn't going away.

:tinfoil: Is she goofy? maybe, compared to who? Pelosi? Jackson-Lee? Or how about Hank Johnson the member of congress who thinks Guam might capsize from too many military people being assigned there? [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg]YouTube - 3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv[/ame]

:tinfoil: Just because your paranoid of someone being out to get you doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :tinfoil: Alot of the treatment she was supposed to have been subjected to could easily be verified or not, don't those folks up there have video everywhere? If they do as soon as the lawsuit was filed any attorney would request copies via disclosure.

Probably can't afford cameras or they were malfunctioning.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I say those so-called officers all need to be executed. This kind of thing is sickening.

Edit: After due process, of course.

A little extreme for me, BUT, what really hurts more is for the officers involved after due process to fired and never let in law enforcement again.

Not being allowed to retire, but being fired is like getting a dishonorable discharge for the military, they won't be violating anyone elses right under the color of law again.

Sometimes those chips get you in trouble. Every cop has a chip on each shoulder, one is pride (which we all have) and the other is authority.

Sometimes the chip of pride gets completely knocked off, thats okay, you can lose that one once in awhile, (as long as you learn from it, it can be a good thing once in awhile) but the authority chip can't be knocked off by a citizen, it can only be removed by the officer by violating his oath or stepping out of bounds which he is supposed to know where that line is, or it can be removed by his dept for crossing the line he should have never gone over.

Lost my pride chip many times, but I refused to break my oath and step to the other side of the line because I was angry at a citizen for knocking my pride chip off and calling me on something.

Sometimes situations are as such that the law is one thing and the right thing for the situation is another, not necessarily illeagal but an area of gray. Thats where true law enforcement officers use the given power of discretion to make the correct call that best suits the public good.

I still think its the water up there, gotta have something in it.:tinfoil:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    CVMA, I'm not saying she deserved bad treatment even if she was a little nutty. I'm just saying that I question how much of what she says actually happened. It may be all 100% true, I can't argue that. The fact that no "major" news agency has picked up the story, and from what I read on her myspace, it just leads me to believe there's more to it. I'm not defending the officers or the city, if they really did what she's claiming then there's no excuse and they should be punished. I'm just not quick to jump on them given the other information I've mentioned. Now the attorney who didn't respond the lawsuit, that's ridiculous...

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    CVMA, I'm not saying she deserved bad treatment even if she was a little nutty. I'm just saying that I question how much of what she says actually happened. It may be all 100% true, I can't argue that. The fact that no "major" news agency has picked up the story, and from what I read on her myspace, it just leads me to believe there's more to it. I'm not defending the officers or the city, if they really did what she's claiming then there's no excuse and they should be punished. I'm just not quick to jump on them given the other information I've mentioned. Now the attorney who didn't respond the lawsuit, that's ridiculous...

Hey I am with you completely, I hope you didn't think I wasn't, and I apologise if it seemed that way.

I think your posts are both spot on, there is more to this, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

Again I don't want you thinking I was poking you in the eye with a stick.

I was just blabbering:horse:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    It's like these officers are being trained to follow some sort of script rather than use some common sense discretion. Not unlike an overseas call center. I don't think it was the situation here, but the courts and legislatures have mandated actions despite the circumstances. If X and Y, then officer must take Z action.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Fascism.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I suspect the attorney left this alone intentionally. It seems like it was a no win situation for him and by ignoring it he has essentially swept it under the rug and kept it out of the MSM for the most part as well as keeping the force from undergoing certain scrutiny that would lead to further issues...retraining, further lawsuits, people being fired.......This way they are only out what the default judgment awards the victim and it likely won't be paid anyways....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Did anybody watch the video? Entertaining to say the least!! Wish I would have had the popcorn.

I suspect the attorney left this alone intentionally. It seems like it was a no win situation for him and by ignoring it he has essentially swept it under the rug and kept it out of the MSM for the most part as well as keeping the force from undergoing certain scrutiny that would lead to further issues...retraining, further lawsuits, people being fired.......This way they are only out what the default judgment awards the victim and it likely won't be paid anyways....

So what were his reasons for his failure to answer a complaint filed by the sex offender? And what about the $20Million lawsuit against Nassau Co that he ****ed up? This guy has a history of not doing his job.

Besides, it isn't about him. He has a fiduciary responsibility to his clients to represent them in the best possible way. "Forgetting" to do something like this is, at best, a violation of that fiduciary obligation. And at worst, the grossest failure of representation that should see him never practicing law again. He doesn't have the luxury of any of the considerations you mentioned because they aren't his decisions to make. He is obligated to act, if not by law, then by implied contract and a simple ethics of doing the job one's hired to do.

And based on the outrage expressed by the council members, I'm not so sure this is going to be so easily swept under the rug if the default judgment is granted. Which will be to the tune of $70M. That's what a default judgment means.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    :patriot: Who the hell dose that cop think he is?
    What happened to the people who use to serve and protect?
    When did we give all this power to monsters?
    Where did cops with a political agenda come from?
    Why Do We Let This **** Happen?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    :patriot: Who the hell dose that cop think he is?
    What happened to the people who use to serve and protect?
    When did we give all this power to monsters?
    Where did cops with a political agenda come from?

Why Do We Let This **** Happen?
    I used to think I would never get tired of posting this....now I'm not so sure......The duty of the police has NEVER been about you and me. I wish people actually understood how things worked, we have no one to blame other than the public screwals that have done such a fine job of teaching us all NOTHING. They actually do serve their purpose as can be seen here and so many other places, people have a false sense of what is, what was and how our system works.
    It is not the duty of the police to protect you. Their job is to protect the Corporation and arrest code breakers. Sapp v. Tallahasee, 348 So. 2nd. 363, Reiff v. City of Philadelphia, 477 F.Supp. 1262, Lynch v. N.C. Dept of Justice 376 S.E. 2nd. 247.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I used to read quite a few photography blogs written by people spread across the US. More and more were reporting run-ins with law enforcement personnel (the whole spectrum - Federal, State and Local as well as private security guards) over them taking photographs of architecture in the city, decorative streetlamps, etc., not even Federal property or so-called "sensitive areas". Some of this doesn't surprise me a bit.

Top Bottom