Nano/LC9, J frame, or small double stack for EDC? Details within...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I own a CZ 82, as well as an M&P 9. I love both of them, but they are both equally too large and heavy for me to carry every day, strong side IWB, after a few weeks of experimentation. I'd like to pick up something a bit shorter/thinner/easier to carry, and I've got about a $400-$450 dollar budget to work with. Here's my dilemma:

There doesn't seem to be anything smaller than my CZ or M&P within that price range in 9mm or .38 that's been proven 100% reliable, or that doesn't need 50 dollar spare mags/no holster choices etc. What am I to do? I hate the LC9's trigger, I hear bad things about the Nano's reliability, and while I love wheel guns, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with a 5 shot as my primary carry gun. Would a G26 (or M&P 9c) feel any smaller or conceal any easier than what I already have?

Open to all suggestions.

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    G26-loaded weight-26+oz
    length-6.54"
    width-1.26"
    mag rnds-10
    CZ82-loaded weight-32oz
    length-6.8"
    width-1.4"
    mag rnds-12

This info is from the newest Glock website stats. I have a Glock 19 that I carry very well. It's a little bit longer but less in weight and width which would help your carry issues. The mag holds 15 rnds to the CZs 12. The M&P 9C is shorter but almost equal in other areas than my G19 but I'll go for the extras rounds any day (G19-15, 9c-10). Of course actual feel really help. Take your holster to the next gun show and try them all. Good luck.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Based on those stats, which I've considered before, the G26 won't be much easier for me to tote than my CZ. Still have yet to find the right solution. Do you find the 19 to be too heavy?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Nano has been 100% reliable. No problems cycling any type of ammo and slide locks back after every mag is empty.

I love everything about it. I also have a G27 and the nano isn't that much smaller overall, but the little bit makes a big difference for my carrying comfort.

I have Beretta night sights on mine and can't wait for 8 round extended mags listed for a few months on the Beretta website.

I have some picks of mine next to each other and I'll try to post them when I'm on my laptop...

Good luck.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I recently had this dilemma myself of weight/ caliber/ reliability etc. I debated 9mm single stacks, super-fat double stacks, 40sw polymers, .380s etc, and realized that I'd be losing exactly one bullet for what I really wanted: a proven one shot stop in a proven platform that is light and easy to conceal. A 2 1/2 or 3" snub nose .357 revolver; specifically the Ruger LCR .357, met all of these criteria (so if anyone has one they are willing to part with, by all means pm me haha).
    I've also ran a Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact 9mm, Bersa Thunder CC, and CZ P-07 as an EDC via pocket carry. Out of the semi autos, the CZ P-07 is by far the superior firearm. You'll just need to wear something with largish pockets. Cargo pants are fine.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    The 26 really isn't much bigger than the Nano, however that also makes it not much smaller than my CZ. The cheap magazines and 1,000,000 holster options, ease of finding parts for it etc draw me back in every time, however.

tiretrack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    our side o the wire
    I have been looking at this question for a few weeks now. my gock 26 is too large to carry in many situations i find myself in . I considered a keltec pf9 (light but too many failure to fire reports ),Sig 938 (felt great in the hand ,smooth and familiar like a tiny 1911,but heavy and pricey) ,kahr cm9(felt like a glock 26 to me),diamondback db9(tiny, light felt great in my hand like a micro glock but everything i could find out about it said it would only go bang occasionally).I ended up buying a ruger lc9 and now i'm trying to adapt to that looong trigger.only a few mags through it but no problems so far.Wife and kids all gave it the thumbs up. more rounds with no problems and it could be EDC.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The main question to answer: What is more important to you, size/comfortable or capacity/better trigger?

I have went through the same process. I carry while at work so concealment is important for me. This is my course of action/trials.
    *Keltec P11* Carried IWB, loved the size, hated the trigger & recoil. -SOLD-
    *Glock 17 Gen4* Carried IWB, loved everything except the size. -SOLD-
    *Taurus 738tcp* Pocket carry, loved size, didn't like low capacity or draw time. -SOLD-
    *Taurus 606 Revolver* Carried IWB, shot nice, hated low capacity. -SOLD-
    *Kahr CW9* Carried IWB, thought this was "the one". Decided I just didn't like to IWB carry guns & low capacity of this one. -SOLD-
    *Springfield XD9 Tactical* Carried OWB, though this was "the one". Decided it was just too damn big for EDC. -SOLD-
    *Another Taurus 738tcp* Same as above, history repeats itself, imagine that. -SOLD-

OK SEE THE TREND HERE, TOO BIG, TOO SMALL. YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE LEARNED.
    WELL I DID FINALLY.
    *Glock G19* Carry OWB under untucked shirt while at work (OC while not at work). Not too small, not too big, great trigger, great accuracy, high capacity, lightweight & dead nuts reliability.
    This is the right gun for me. Long process, right?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Like the OP, I'm in the process of trying to find that "perfect" carry gun for my particular situation. I've started walking recently, so I have a few conditions that I need met. I need something light, something larger than a .380, and something that will conceal easily. After weeding through everything, I've narrowed it down to either a Sig p290 or a S&W snub nose 357. Both are out of the OP's price range, but my school of thought is pay the money now for what you want versus experimenting and taking a loss on what you thought was the "right" gun.

handkaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Nano for sure. $354 shipped to FFL on budsgunshop.com. You can't beat that for a solid super reliable compact 9mm.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    J-frame. Small, ultra-reliable, more punch than 9mm, rounded edges that conceal well and don't jab you. 5 shots should be plenty.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    A revolver is about as close to being guranteed 100% reliable as there is. Unless you're going into a combat situation, I wouldn' worry too much about capacity.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Thanks once again for all the input, everyone. Leaning towards a 638 at the moment, since I already have a 12 round 9x18 that I CAN carry if I need to.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like your mind is made up but a Kahr CM9 fits the price and reliability requirements. I pocket carry it in summer and IWB in winter. There is a break in period but after that mine has been 100%.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    The Kahr CM9 is definitely worth a look. I'm not saying it's "the one" for you, but it's pretty near and dear to my heart right now.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Love my G26, small, handy, shootable, and holds at the minimum of 10 + 1 rounds. More with a larger capacity Glock mag. I had a couple J frames and while I liked them they are the same size as the G26, and I couldn't shoot them worth a crap. My experience totally.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Wouldn't buy another Kahr if you paid me to. All that I have shot and owned were entirely unreliable. It's between a 638 and a G26 now. I need to find someone willing to let me try a G26 in an IWB holster before I buy!

Top Bottom