• ...and so much more!
  • Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Think about what is being said.

EPA. Mandated CAFE standards. Aero is all important. Crumple zones. Parking spots are smaller and smaller. We are being herded towards public transportation.
    Soon the only rear wheel drive V-8 from GM will be the rear engine vette. And the millennial's could give a crap so no, the manf's do not care much. No money in it for them.

Speaking as one of those millienial types whose dad and granddad were/are both big car guys...the truth is that cars today are just not fun to work on because the computer does all the little tinkering they used to do, and trying to mess around in those tight, sensor strewn engine compartments is an exercise in frustration more than fun for them. My brother is the only one of my siblings that cares about having a car with some style and muscle, and the unfortunate result is that the family has spent more time and money on his '08 charger than on the entire fleet of Prius/Tundras that the rest of us opted for. The Prius, boring and low-powered as they are by comparison, are so reliable I haven't ever really worked on mine aside from changing the oil. It just doesn't need it and hasn't for about 320,000 miles. In a world where wages are stagnating relative to costs, the fact that I don't have to burn 150 bucks on parts and half a weekend fixing stuff is actually a big deal.

I'd argue it isn't that car culture is dying owing to intentional stresses, but as a natural result of improvements in reliability and complexity. Heck, dad told me stories about all the stuff he had to do to maintain his vehicles like packing his own bearings periodically etc that literally just isn't a thing anymore. You do you have some millienials who want desperately to take a train everywhere like they do in Europe (nevermind the obvious problem of distances between cities here vs there) but even a country boy like myself just can't be brought to care if my car has a throaty roar or a couple extra hundred horse if that roar and horse costs me hundreds or thousands of dollars and days of time in maintenance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Speaking as one of those millienial types whose dad and granddad were/are both big car guys...the truth is that cars today are just not fun to work on because the computer does all the little tinkering they used to do, and trying to mess around in those tight, sensor strewn engine compartments is an exercise in frustration more than fun for them. My brother is the only one of my siblings that cares about having a car with some style and muscle, and the unfortunate result is that the family has spent more time and money on his '08 charger than on the entire fleet of Prius/Tundras that the rest of us opted for. The Prius, boring and low-powered as they are by comparison, are so reliable I haven't ever really worked on mine aside from changing the oil. It just doesn't need it and hasn't for about 320,000 miles. In a world where wages are stagnating relative to costs, the fact that I don't have to burn 150 bucks on parts and half a weekend fixing stuff is actually a big deal.

I'd argue it isn't that car culture is dying owing to intentional stresses, but as a natural result of improvements in reliability and complexity. Heck, dad told me stories about all the stuff he had to do to maintain his vehicles like packing his own bearings periodically etc that literally just isn't a thing anymore. You do you have some millienials who want desperately to take a train everywhere like they do in Europe (nevermind the obvious problem of distances between cities here vs there) but even a country boy like myself just can't be brought to care if my car has a throaty roar or a couple extra hundred horse if that roar and horse costs me hundreds or thousands of dollars and days of time in maintenance.

A very well laid out answer to what I was stating. You said it better than I did.
    I am not knocking anything you said. Nothing.

Thing is we (The car culture) worked our tails off to have the throaty rumble and searched for every available pony we could squeeze out of about anything on 2 or 4 wheels. 2 jobs/side jobs/engine swaps and rebuilds for friends and family. If it paid we were stepping up. HP costs money as you so well put it. We did not have Multi-hundred dollar Nike's. We did not have $1K cell phones or cable. None of the things this generation desires. All of this is the normal transition in the culture.

I drove my sisters Prius to South Carolina with her a few years ago. Trust I will never again even set in one of those electric go carts. Nope. Not for me.
    The gas use was insane. As in you had to push it to drink any. Thats a solid plus I guess but just not for me. Her either as it was sold soon as we got back home.

I did get a speeding ticket in it. Go figure. Trooper gave me a really great break. I think he was sympathetic to me and also amazed it would go that fast.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Funny thing no cared enough about NASCAR to even complain about it in several years…
    I can remember when the annual NASCAR threads were like the Colts threads. It was several fans literally giving play by play comments, etc.. It was like virtually sitting around with your buddies watching a game or a race. I miss those days. Now they both end up turning into bitch sessions about the team or sport they started out to support.

I think with the NFL, it started with the kneeling crap. With NASCAR, it was slower, but it accelerated with the Bubba Wallace "noose" BS.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I can remember when the annual NASCAR threads were like the Colts threads. It was several fans literally giving play by play comments, etc.. It was like virtually sitting around with your buddies watching a game or a race. I miss those days. Now they both end up turning into bitch sessions about the team or sport they started out to support.

I think with the NFL, it started with the kneeling crap. With NASCAR, it was slower, but it accelerated with the Bubba Wallace "noose" BS.
    Those are small factors, that are prominent and evident to you and I because our demo was pizzed by the kneeling and noise crap. The NFL is setting records for viewers while NASCAR has lost half their fans, way bigger than that crap.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Those are small factors, that are prominent and evident to you and I because our demo was pizzed by the kneeling and noise crap. The NFL is setting records for viewers while NASCAR has lost half their fans, way bigger than that crap.
    Oh I'm just talking about the threads themselves really. And a lot of "outsiders" tended to infiltrate and start their own crap.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Sounds like first hand knowledge…. :lmfao: :lmfao:
    Your delusion is only surpassed but your unnatural love for NASCAR.

Delusion

Firm and fixed belief based on inadequate grounding
    A delusion is a false fixed belief that is not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, hallucination, or some other misleading effects of perception, as individuals with those beliefs are able to change or readjust their beliefs upon reviewing the evidence.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Your delusion is only surpassed but your unnatural love for NASCAR.

Delusion

Firm and fixed belief based on inadequate grounding
    A delusion is a false fixed belief that is not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, hallucination, or some other misleading effects of perception, as individuals with those beliefs are able to change or readjust their beliefs upon reviewing the evidence.

Top Bottom