• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Very cool post. My sons have been trying to get me to buy one from Classic but I just don't trust Classic enough. Seems like some people get a nice one like you did and other people get a piece of junk. I know it's the luck of the draw but I'm not a lucky guy.

I was checking out the site today and it looks like for extra charge(s) you can select among a set the most cosmetically appealing to you and one that has matching numbers.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    If it makes you feel any better, I looked at your album. I believe yours too is a true Chinese Military rifle, and for what it's worth for both of you the spike bayonet usually adds about $40 dollars in value.
    The "spikers" are more desirable.
    If you hold onto it for 8 years or so, you will see the value climb, as collectors like what they call an "honest" gun. Meaning appreciating it for its honest wear. Of course you can replace your stock or spend time trying to fix it.
    If you do either, it will actually de-value it.

Never really thought of having Chicom SKS for collectors sake or that some people would find a beat to hell stock desirable outside of haggling you to get it cheaper. At least not a collection quite like Yooper John's SKS collection.

I did date it and it was made in 1966. Might have been used in the southern border wars with Vietnam and other places. It does look like its seen some real action, if not atleast banged against every object when slung over the shoulder.

I've tried removing as much cosmo from it with heat, but it still sweats at the range. There's only one place on the stock that has any semblance of shellac left. The wood looks like it had some nice grain in it at one time though, particularly in the grip.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Great looking rifle, OP. Love my SKS variants. Snappy little carbines that hold their own with and arguably have a few benefits over their later AK cousins.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good find sgreen! I bought an "X Grade" SKS from Classic last year and had the same experience with the amount of cosmoline. When I ran a patch down the bore it looked like a big brown worm came out the end. Mine was Chinese, but did a tour of Albania at some point and has some "battlefield graffiti" on the stock. I did go ahead and put a set of Tech Sights on it. Makes a world of difference in being able to shoot accurately as it almost doubles the sight radius.

2EUiDJ0.jpg

AVWNMRB.jpg

fMk841t.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good find sgreen! I bought an "X Grade" SKS from Classic last year and had the same experience with the amount of cosmoline. When I ran a patch down the bore it looked like a big brown worm came out the end. Mine was Chinese, but did a tour of Albania at some point and has some "battlefield graffiti" on the stock. I did go ahead and put a set of Tech Sights on it. Makes a world of difference in being able to shoot accurately as it almost doubles the sight radius.

2EUiDJ0.jpg

AVWNMRB.jpg

fMk841t.jpg

What is “X-Grade”?

You guys are really whetting my appetite for one of these things...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Never really thought of having Chicom SKS for collectors sake or that some people would find a beat to hell stock desirable outside of haggling you to get it cheaper. At least not a collection quite like Yooper John's SKS collection.

I did date it and it was made in 1966. Might have been used in the southern border wars with Vietnam and other places. It does look like its seen some real action, if not atleast banged against every object when slung over the shoulder.

I've tried removing as much cosmo from it with heat, but it still sweats at the range. There's only one place on the stock that has any semblance of shellac left. The wood looks like it had some nice grain in it at one time though, particularly in the grip.

Actually these SKSs from Classic probably never saw any action, except against their own people. It has been definitely established that they are from the military aid shipments provided to Albania by the PRC. A prime example of the evidence is on the one Doggy Daddy has. It has a Albanian name and town carved in it. We had a big discussion on it when he first posted it if you would like more info on how they ended up in Albania and how they were used.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    Actually these SKSs from Classic probably never saw any action, except against their own people. It has been definitely established that they are from the military aid shipments provided to Albania by the PRC. A prime example of the evidence is on the one Doggy Daddy has. It has a Albanian name and town carved in it. We had a big discussion on it when he first posted it if you would like more info on how they ended up in Albania and how they were used.

Not only that it also has an Albanian replacement stock. I really like this particular shipment of SKS's, I've owned 4 or 5 of them so far, I kept 2...I like the "battle field pick up" look and both of mine shoot great. I clean them off in about an hour with low odor mineral spirits and a nylon brush.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Not only that it also has an Albanian replacement stock. I really like this particular shipment of SKS's, I've owned 4 or 5 of them so far, I kept 2...I like the "battle field pick up" look and both of mine shoot great. I clean them off in about an hour with low odor mineral spirits and a nylon brush.

Yeah, they may not have been shot much, but they sure got a bunch of miles on 'em!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I wont lie I was a little apprehensive about getting one from them but the price was right and I have some coin in the fun fund so I figured what the heck. I just wanted something to shoot. It is kinda neat the history on these things, it shoots good. I went out an ran 100rds through it yesterday evening without a hitch. Its a neat piece Ill be keeping around for sure...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

^^^This^^^ John gave me a wealth of information on the one I got. I never would've known that history. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, the period during which these rifles were sent to Albania is very interesting. A LOT of people in the west don't realize how close the world came to WWIII starting between the USSR and the PRC.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I wont lie I was a little apprehensive about getting one from them but the price was right and I have some coin in the fun fund so I figured what the heck. I just wanted something to shoot. It is kinda neat the history on these things, it shoots good. I went out an ran 100rds through it yesterday evening without a hitch. Its a neat piece Ill be keeping around for sure...

Classic can be a mixed bag. I recently purchased a Swiss 1911 with the hand select option. Based on the reviews I was expecting something far different than what arrived. Mine was basically orange with pittiing throughout. It looked like it was left in a barn for 5yrs. I took pictures and left a review but it never appeared. Classic will not approve negative reviews so their scoring is always a bit skewed. Needless to say they're pretty sketchy. Their Chinese SKS rifles have been around for some time so I wonder how many they have left are junk, previous returns, or halfway decent?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Classic can be a mixed bag. I recently purchased a Swiss 1911 with the hand select option. Based on the reviews I was expecting something far different than what arrived. Mine was basically orange with pittiing throughout. It looked like it was left in a barn for 5yrs. I took pictures and left a review but it never appeared. Classic will not approve negative reviews so their scoring is always a bit skewed. Needless to say they're pretty sketchy. Their Chinese SKS rifles have been around for some time so I wonder how many they have left are junk, previous returns, or halfway decent?

Yea that sucks for sure. I guess I got lucky on this one.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I regret buying a Yugo SKS and not a Chinese one. My Yugo has the infamous issue where it busts primers and after a handful of rounds the firing pin is trapped with bits of metal. I tried various types of ammo but it always eventually happens. It's a real downer while I'm at the range. I believe this issue is primarily with the earlier rifles, which mine is.

The only way to truly fix it, that I'm aware of, is to send it to Murray's to have the throat and neck reamed. I spent the $60 + shipping and sent it last month but I have yet to hear back. I believe it's a long turnaround time, possibly up to 6 weeks.

Buying non-bulk ammo to try, frustration at the range, dissembling the bolt two dozen times, and spending $100 to have the throat and neck reamed had made my Yugo a regrettable purchase. I hear the Chinese ones are absolutely fantastic shooters even though they show a long and rough service use.

I was tempted to disclose the issue and sell it as-is but I didn't someone else to face the same levels of frustration as I have. It's best just to get it fixed and over with.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't thought about my SKS in years. One day in Vietnam my platoon got called out for a popup mission. Now, I don't remember too much about the mission but the Air Force F-4's hit a ammo cache and it started to blow. We CA'd out and set up perimeter around the cache but because the cache was on fire we had to secure the area and listen to the ammo explode all night. Finally the next day it was calm enough to get to the site. The hole was about 15 x 20 and about 8 feet deep (Before the explosions). It was filled with rifles, small arms ammo, grenades, rockets and even a 90mm recoiless rocket launcher. So, I got my Chinese SKS with spike and cleaning kit to bring home. In the mid 70's I took it to Camp Atterbury, loaded a round and was sighting on the target and chickened out. I decided I wasn't going to go through all that crap in Nam just to get blown up at home with a rifle that was iffy from the cache. It still sits in my safe and some day I might take it to the range and try it again.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    I haven't thought about my SKS in years. One day in Vietnam my platoon got called out for a popup mission. Now, I don't remember too much about the mission but the Air Force F-4's hit a ammo cache and it started to blow. We CA'd out and set up perimeter around the cache but because the cache was on fire we had to secure the area and listen to the ammo explode all night. Finally the next day it was calm enough to get to the site. The hole was about 15 x 20 and about 8 feet deep (Before the explosions). It was filled with rifles, small arms ammo, grenades, rockets and even a 90mm recoiless rocket launcher. So, I got my Chinese SKS with spike and cleaning kit to bring home. In the mid 70's I took it to Camp Atterbury, loaded a round and was sighting on the target and chickened out. I decided I wasn't going to go through all that crap in Nam just to get blown up at home with a rifle that was iffy from the cache. It still sits in my safe and some day I might take it to the range and try it again.

What a story!

A friend of mine told me he once paid a gunsmith at a range $50 to verify the safety of his firearm. After a close visual inspection and a headspace check, the gunsmith brought it out back to the range. Them he sat in between a few sandbags, attached a string to the trigger, stepped back and pulled. After a few shots he visually checked the rifle again, handed it back to my friend be and said "all good".

I'm sure you can find a gunsmith who is qualified to verify the safety of your SKS? I'd certainly ask them to test fire it if they're confident enough in their own work.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Thank you for the story! Appreciate your service! I don't blame you id left it in the safe also...

Top Bottom