• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    After reading another post on here it has made me curious. Is there a good source of information regarding gun sales in the US? I did a little research on this after first reading about a member on here that was prepositioned to sell across state lines, and denied the transaction(good move). I was under the impression it is illegal to sell any firearm across any state line without using an FFL. are there states that allow private sale across borders(i'm thinking east coast since they are all right on top of each other there)? All the info I found was individual to each state, and admittedly a little difficult to completely understand given the legal nature of the statements(a lot of run-on sentences with bullet points that stated stipulations that negated information provided in the previous paragraph). It was a little confusing but still helpful.

I know the Utah Conceal Carry classes are popular and I initially thought they were for people that planned on moving to Utah and wanted to get the paperwork squared away before their move. I'm sure there must be more to it then that, since that would mean there is a huge trend of IN gun owners that are moving to Utah. What is the benefit of this class?

Do competitive shooters frequently shoot in competitions outside of their home state, or is that not common because of gun transportation laws? I could see someone at a shoot out of state selling to another competitor that lived in another state, but I would assume that is illegal.

I guess i'm asking if the BATF or the FBI has ever bothered to create a user friendly source of information for transportation/sale/use for firearms that would cover the entire nation, or at least region(example, If in this state and going to that state, then this would need to be done).

This is one of these topics I'm hesitant to ask because I am opening myself up to ridicule from fellow members with answers like"do your homework!, Big Brother is watching!, read every state constitution completely!...." this forum is part of how i do my "homework". I"m looking for a good starting point. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I know the Utah Conceal Carry classes are popular and I initially thought they were for people that planned on moving to Utah and wanted to get the paperwork squared away before their move. I'm sure there must be more to it then that, since that would mean there is a huge trend of IN gun owners that are moving to Utah. What is the benefit of this class?

This is one of these topics I'm hesitant to ask because I am opening myself up to ridicule from fellow members with answers like"do your homework!, Big Brother is watching!, read every state constitution completely!...." this forum is part of how i do my "homework". I"m looking for a good starting point. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

While I can't answer all your questions, I can offer some help with your Utah question. Ohio does not recognize our IN LTCH, so people who travel through Ohio, or live close to the Ohio border and find themselves frequently in OH, may take a Non-resident Utah Carry course and be licensed by Utah to carry (not sure if it is a license or permit in Utah). Since Ohio recognizes the Utah carry permit, it allows us IN residents to carry in Ohio, so long as they have a Non-resident Utah License/Permit. Hope that clears things up for you!

And don't be shy about asking questions on here. Some will ridicule you, but most just want to help.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    No, there isn't a user-friendly way to research firearms laws, except for Google. ;)

When I got my C&R license, they sent me a book of state gun laws. It's the size of a medium thickness phone book. There's nothing user-friendly at all.

Your best bet when you want to know something about another state's gun laws is to Google your question or ask here.

To answer your transfer question.... Federal law prohibits private transactions across state lines, so no state allows them. The only exception is for succession (inheritance). Everything else must go through an FFL.

Also, people compete in a lot of states. As long as you know and research the laws in the state you're going, you'll be fine. You're allowed to transport firearms unloaded in your trunk, or locked up if you don't have a trunk. You can transport in this manner through any state in the union so long as the firearms are legal for you to possess in the state of origin and the state of destination.

Top Bottom