• ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Did a search and didn't find this, so:

MILLER: National gun registry gets head start as Maryland compromises gun owners' privacy - Washington Times

The Maryland Governor and the State Police are releasing confidential information including Social Security numbers on an unsecure internet site that uses single shared password and log-in.

IANAL, but can't they be sued for that? Especially if they are found negligent in cases where someone's identity is stolen? And in something this big that could be a WHOOOOOOLE lot of somebodies. If so, these folks are idiots. Because if it happened to me I would sue the State and the State Police and try to sue the Governor and State Police Supt. personally as they are in control of the two agencies committing this crap.

Any lawyers care to weigh in on this?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not a lawyer, just a policy wonk and privacy professional, but it seems like this would violate Maryland privacy/sensitive data exposure law somehow if true.
    It certainly doesn't seem to meet the standard of "due care." Insecure website (i.e. unencrypted) + shared credentials (i.e. lack of accountability, etc.) = not good.

Top Bottom