• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    I was just wondering how many people have considered growing garlic in their back yard as a SHTF antibiotic? A bottle of antibiotic pills would probably work fine for a short term SHTF scenario(months). However, garlic seems like it could be a good long term solution. I guess a good question would be, is a long term SHTF scenario realistic? By short term I mean months, and by long term I mean years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I was just wondering how many people have considered growing garlic in their back yard as a SHTF antibiotic? A bottle of antibiotic pills would probably work fine for a short term SHTF scenario(months). However, garlic seems like it could be a good long term solution. I guess a good question would be, is a long term SHTF scenario realistic? By short term I mean months, and by long term I mean years.

I envision long term all the time...I have become a pack rat thinking I could use this if...I have basic meds for a year, what I don't have yet is non-GMO herbal medicine seeds. I read online about oils that suppose to last for years buy very expensive...I am still learning about the medicinal plants...just not enough time in the day. Nice to get on these blogs just to learn a little and un-wind.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Another good one to have is euchinacia (spelling?) or commonly called Purple Cone Flower. We have both as well as other herbals both growing and seeds in storage. The Encyclopedia of Country Living is a great source for things like this.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Another good one to have is euchinacia (spelling?) or commonly called Purple Cone Flower. We have both as well as other herbals both growing and seeds in storage. The Encyclopedia of Country Living is a great source for things like this.

Adding that one to the shelf...thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

Yep, know what you are talking about we take that at first sign of a cold. I was looking at the survival meet up page and there is a guy who is a herbalist who has class over on the east side...I am definitely going to look into his classes.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We have purple cone flowers around our place. Got them for butterflies and humming birds.

Save me a google-fu... what do you do with these? Seeds or flowers? Eat or brew?

Interested and lazy about looking right now.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're going to go the natural medicines route then do yourself a favour and buy a copy of this.
    Amazon.com: Holistic Herbal 4th Edition: A Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies (9780007145416): David Hoffman: Books

Also, bear in mind. There is no natural remedy that will replace an antibiotic. At best natural remedies have a small antibiotic effect. Usually in the topical arena. Your best bet is to talk to your MD and see if they will set you up with a supply of a broad spectrum antibiotic. It will likely have to be replaced every so often, too, since you're not likely to use in the short term. Drugs DO degrade and lose their efficacy. Garlic and echinacea are not great substitutes for a real antibiotic. If they were our ancestors would not have died in droves from disease.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Also gotta consider allergies, I love herbal remedies but they don't all love me. Echinacea is part
    of the ragweed family for example.

Top Bottom