• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    With Haiti plastering the news now is a great time to point out the parallels to the 1800's New Madrid Quake to those friends and relatives that have refused to put any plan in place or make any preparations for natural disaster here in our own backyard.

It is also a good time to bring prep back into the mind set for those of us (myself included) that have gotten slack.

This New Madrid quake was significant enough to temporarily REVERSE the flow of the mighty Mississippi.

Looking at the roving bands of gangs in Haiti and the abandonment of children and the elderly it is easy to picture the rule of law eroding to non-existent in our own urban and rural areas should our local fault lines give again.

Sure we have a better infrastructure and delivery and disaster relief plans within our own borders but how many of the general populace truly has prepared for even a two to three week interruption in the daily services they take for granted?

The ice storms in So. In and KY last year tested our power delivery infrastructure and put many out of their homes for multiple weeks. That was just a weather anomaly. Think of the unsettling consequences of another 8.0 quake that is felt from St. Louis to Philly

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    While I don't think the New Madrid fault to effect us "terribly bad" here, your point about the infrastructure is spot on. A lot of the traffic that crosses the MS River crosses bridges that are vulnerable to a large earthquake. What that means, is that supply lines won't return to normal for many months following a large EQ in the area. Until that time, it may be hard to keep up with demand, and the increased traffic to other crossings could potentially damage those as well.

Guys this is a very real threat. Scientists have been looking at this more in depth in recent years. I watched a History Channel show on it the other night and the research team went out and did several digs to study past New Madrid quakes. How can they dig to find that out? The New Madrid quakes were large enough and violent enough to liquify the ground, and they were able to study the ground to determine when past quakes happened.

They said there is a 10% chance of an 8+ quake in the next 50 years, and a 25-40% chance of a 6+ quake.

The quake on April 18, 2008 SW of Vincennes was a 5.4 magnitude, and it was felt as far as Chicago and Fort Wayne. A 6+ at New Madrid will definitely be felt here, but an 8+ would likely do damage to unreinforced masonry structures in SW IN.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Take anything you see on the History channel with a grain of salt.

Yes the threat of any natural disaster is real but come on. The history channel is out there to make money, not inform the public.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Agree with point about the history channel. But

Always suggest reading

Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (Pulitzer Prize)

and

Collapse by Jared Diamond.

Those two books from a historically accurate and cited viewpoint make the survival books out there seem like children's stories

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I think this is an area for concern. While it might be more fun to consider the ramifications of a full blown government melt down, there have been significant events in Indiana's history. The New Madrid fault line is one of those Oh, that might happen events. IIRC the New Madrid fault is similar in size to the San Andreas fault, though less active.

The ice storms from a short time ago are another. Once power goes out the infrastructure is toast, until the power is restored.

Then there was that tornado that went through Bedford some time in the late 70's (IIRC). That was huge mess and did severe damage.

All it takes is one event. The majority of them I know about have been natural.

All it takes is one that leaves an impact lasting over a few days.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The area between St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and Indianapolis will be severly compromised if it is hit with any quake near the magnitude of the "Big One".

I've seen discussions that says Memphis would be obliterated because most of the area is built over sandstone which will basically liquify. Indianapolis would have serious damage to stone and masonry structures, gas and water lines throughout the region would be severely damaged.

This "IS" the SHTF moment that I want to prepare for, because this is one of two major most likely scenario's to occur, along with a tornado striking. Since my house is of brick construction, it would take a decent hit from a quake, and my backup plan for shelter is my 10x20x13 mini barn which I've reinforce with cross bracing and can outfit it with a 50 drum stove for heat and cooking, even got a plan to convert the loft to sleeping area with living and eating space on the main floor. Plan on insulating in this spring and my FIL is planning on copying what I've done for his backup plan.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    While I don't think the New Madrid fault to effect us "terribly bad" here, your point about the infrastructure is spot on. A lot of the traffic that crosses the MS River crosses bridges that are vulnerable to a large earthquake. What that means, is that supply lines won't return to normal for many months following a large EQ in the area. Until that time, it may be hard to keep up with demand, and the increased traffic to other crossings could potentially damage those as well.

Guys this is a very real threat. Scientists have been looking at this more in depth in recent years. I watched a History Channel show on it the other night and the research team went out and did several digs to study past New Madrid quakes. How can they dig to find that out? The New Madrid quakes were large enough and violent enough to liquify the ground, and they were able to study the ground to determine when past quakes happened.

They said there is a 10% chance of an 8+ quake in the next 50 years, and a 25-40% chance of a 6+ quake.

The quake on April 18, 2008 SW of Vincennes was a 5.4 magnitude, and it was felt as far as Chicago and Fort Wayne. A 6+ at New Madrid will definitely be felt here, but an 8+ would likely do damage to unreinforced masonry structures in SW IN.

Yeah, we felt it here too. That was the largest in years.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

The above earthquake was centered at 38.450°N, 87.890°W, 25 miles SW of Vincennes (230 degrees), I was in Evansville in the back of my truck unloading product and felt it REAL good.

If an 8.0 or above hits, the damage will be widespread and way more catastrophic than you think.

From Wiki:
    • February 7, 1812, 0945 UTC (4:45 a.m.); (MMS=8.3[12]) moment magnitude scale; epicenter near New Madrid, Missouri. New Madrid was destroyed. At St. Louis, Missouri, many houses were severely damaged, and their chimneys were toppled. This shock was definitively attributed to the Reelfoot Fault by Johnston and Schweig. It was uplift along this reverse fault segment, in this event, that created waterfalls on the Mississippi River, disrupted the Mississippi River at Kentucky Bend, created a wave that propagated upstream and caused the formation of Reelfoot Lake.[9] The earthquake's uplift and shift also created the basin that formed Caddo Lake, in Northeast Texas and Northwest Louisiana.[13]

The earthquakes were felt as far away as New York City and Boston, Massachusetts, where ground motion caused church bells to ring.[14]
    Hundreds of aftershocks followed over a period of several years. Aftershocks strong enough to be felt occurred until the year 1817. The largest earthquakes to have occurred since then were on January 4, 1843, and October 31, 1895, with magnitude estimates of 6.0 and 6.2 respectively.
    This series of earthquakes caused permanent changes in the course of the Mississippi River, giving the illusion that it was flowing backward.
    There is some initial research that says the faultline may be shutting down because movement has slowed immensely, but it could just be that it got a really good grip right and and when it let's loose, hang one, it'll be a biggie. Stop and think, if it was strong enough to ring a bell in Boston, MA., just imagine what vibration would be felt in the bog box between Indy, Nashville, Memphis and St. Louis.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    If I was in Evansville, it could be bad. As you move up to Indy is will drop in damage, but not like in California due to the different soil types.

I'd like to see a new sandblow, it could be cool. Saw what was left of one in western KY years ago!

The earthquake we had last year in the area ( southwest Indiana) was strong enough that my small pond does not stay filled with water.....it drained within two days of the quake.

Isn't that what earthquake insurance in for. It has a 10% deductibel........

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    And, don't forget the floods that have occurred in the Ohio River valley. One was in '37 I believe with one or two some years before that.

Governments (ours or some other), the UN invading, meteors falling from the sky, or space aliens:rolleyes: are one thing, however Mother Nature can be a real bit@h!

If you get in her path there is not a lot you can do except except bend over and take it.;)

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Solar Flares, or Volcanic Eruptions could/would disrupt things.

While an eruption can normally be foretold, solar activity is again on the rise and
    depending on the size of the spike, can cause a reaction similar to an EMP.

An EMP, whether natural or manmade, would be catastrophic
    and could happen without notice.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    OK. They know this type of thing can happen, (a few years back the Eastern half - or a big portion of it - and parts of Canada lost power because of a broken transformer link or something), so WHY don't they either order extra parts BEFORE they're needed, or learn to make them here - NOW!? :n00b:

Oh, wait! I'm talking about our government and corporations. Sorry about the confusion. :rolleyes: Forget what I wrote. (Please) :D

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I was in Evansville proper asleep in bed during the last earthquake, and it was quite the experience. I've moved since then into Vand. Co, the burbs of Evansville, and prepping for this scenario has been on my mind for some time, but it's not been until recently that i've seriously started.

The main thing for me is where to stash stuff? If it's a major disaster most of my supplies will be lost with my house. Anything in walking distance would likely be lost in a major quake too.

I just hope I live far enough away from the epicenter to make it through the big one with supplies. If the house survives the quake i'll be fine to weather the power disruptions etc. but if not then my fam and i will be hoofing it out with what's on our backs.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have heard 3 times on different shows ,2 on the radio and 1 on tv,about possiblily loosing the power grid in North America for up to 6 monthes.(All this week) One thing they were talking about was, They dont make the parts in this country anymore (For the big Generators ,would take up to 6 months to replace or build new ones, they dont have the money to have back up systems in place. Anyway it was an interesting subject,I guess because I use to be a Powerhouse Operator. EMP Could be our SHTF scenerio. Just guessing , it would be better than the scenerio ,Im afraid will happen.

You might want to read this e-book called LIGHTS OUT.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...11-ebook_-_lights_out_by_halffast_review.html

@flagtag
    In am EMP blast even if we had the spare parts for the generators unless they are in Fairday Cages they would be worthless after the blast. The EMP blast affects all electronics (be it while they are ON or OFF).

Top Bottom