• Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It also depends on your mission.

I have enough gasoline stored to power my generators through their service lives. But I am also off-grid, my house is designed to be off-grid, and my power requirement for the entire house and shop is a fraction what the typical home is. And if you walked into the house you'd never know it is off-grid.

So even without the solar panels, I could burn only about a gallon a day of fuel and not notice any difference.

But that is a very different mission than keeping an all-electric house operating normally through short term outages. For that a NG or propane fueled backup generator is preferrable, because the generator there will be burning through 5-10 gallons of fuel a day. No big deal for a weeklong power outage, but a really big deal for long term survivalism.

For intermediate term use, a battery bank and inverter-charger that is hooked to critical circuits in the house and linked to a backup generator is the optimal solution. Normally the grid keeps the batteries topped off which drastically increases their life. But if the power goes out you have a few hours to deal with getting the generator going. And then when the generator is going you only have to run it a few hours a day to charge the batteries back up and power circuits at the same time. This is MUCH more efficient than having a generator running 24/7.

OP, this member is one you should listen to!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    OP: Simple quiz. Name the fuel that is the easiest to store in large quantities and stores for the longest period of time? That is your best fuel source.

Unfortunately, you said this fuel type was not an option in your current shelter location.

In a SHTF scenario my generators would not run 24 hours a day but only enough to keep systems viable.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom