• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Im starting to hike with my son and was wondering if you use any natural oils,etc to repel insects? I should mention that store bought products have caused my sons skin to rash. I heard some common household oils like caster and olive oil work and was wondering if those have worked for you. Any advise and tips are appreciated.:)

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Safer, Effective Alternatives to DEET Insect Repellent

Protection against Mosquitoes, Ticks, & Other Insects & Arthropods - Chapter 2 - 2012 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

DEET is probably the most effective, but if that is a problem you could try something with Picaridin or clothing with permethrin.

If those still cause issues Oil of lemon eucalyptus (also called OLE), PMD (synthetic OLE), or IR3535 might work, but may not be as effective as the ones mentioned above.

One thing that might be something to look into is that you can find different concentrations of the ingredient in products. You might be able to find a product that has a lower concentration of DEET for example that does not cause a rash, but is still effective.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I didn't realize it when I linked it, but the 2nd link I used is the same that Indy_Guy_77 linked. Another good source of information would probably be this site: FAQ

The link goes directly to the repellent section, but there is also a lot of other information about mosquitoes there as well. OFF! Clip-Ons are mentioned in this link, but I don't know how effective they would be, since you would be moving.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of things will bother people with sensitive skin. You could try ramping down the percentage of DEET and try a product with less. You could also try applying the repellent to his non-synthetic clothing, rather than his skin. For example, I don't like to put it on my face, but it seems pretty effective for me when applied to my hat.

However, lower concentrations of DEET provide protection for less time. So you may have to reapply more often. No free lunch here.

Good luck.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    Try "BUGGINS" all natural insect repellent. Can be purchased at Rural King. I put it on my arms, neck and face and flying insects stay away. It is Deet free.

Top Bottom