• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not to be an arm-chair quarter back, but I've driven out west before, and I've been caught in large dust-storms in AZ before (the kind that make national news)... these aren't something that just "sneak up on you", you can see them coming for miles and miles... how do you end up in a huge pile-up? I understand it only takes one driver to create a pile-up but wouldn't people slow down a bit?

The only time I've ever had a "wind-event" out west sneak up on my was coming around a curve in the mountains and got a sharp down-draft through a valley just as I broke past the rock wall shielding the highway. It nearly blew my car off the road... but in this instance there was no dust...

With dust (whirl-wind or dust-storm) you can see the dust up in the atmosphere for MILES...

:dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not to be an arm-chair quarter back, but I've driven out west before, and I've been caught in large dust-storms in AZ before (the kind that make national news)... these aren't something that just "sneak up on you", you can see them coming for miles and miles... how do you end up in a huge pile-up? I understand it only takes one driver to create a pile-up but wouldn't people slow down a bit?

The only time I've ever had a "wind-event" out west sneak up on my was coming around a curve in the mountains and got a sharp down-draft through a valley just as I broke past the rock wall shielding the highway. It nearly blew my car off the road... but in this instance there was no dust...

With dust (whirl-wind or dust-storm) you can see the dust up in the atmosphere for MILES...

:dunno:

I've never been caught in a huge dust storm but I was thinking the same thing. Do most drivers just say "screw it" and push on and end up wrecking into each other or what?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've never been caught in a huge dust storm but I was thinking the same thing. Do most drivers just say "screw it" and push on and end up wrecking into each other or what?
    By far the most exciting time I was ever caught in something was a whirl-wind the size of a tornado. Just for the pure fact that I spotted it way out across a valley making it's way toward the highway. I joked to myself how unlikely it would be for it to make it to the highway at the exact same time I reached the point it was crossing the highway. Sure enough 9 miles down the roads it was starting to look more and more likely and sure enough, we continued on a collision path. It was very interesting. I slowed way down, the car rocked and shoot and got sand-blasted pretty bad, and then it was over and we began driving again... :dunno:

Top Bottom