• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I saw the USMC rules for a gunfight recently posted here. Today I saw for the first time the US Navy rules for a gunfight. I just could not resist posting this.

I included the USMC rules for your convenience in comparison and analysis.

USMC Rules for Gunfighting :ar15:

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
    2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive.
    3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
    4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.
    5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
    6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
    7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
    8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
    9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
    9.5 Use a gun that works EVERY TIME.
    10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
    11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
    12. Have a plan.
    13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
    14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
    15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
    16. Don't drop your guard.
    17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
    18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
    19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
    20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
    21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
    23. Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
    24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4"

US Navy Rules to Gunfighting :coffee:
    1. Go to Sea
    2. Send the Marines
    3. Drink Coffee

One could say that the Navy is management and the Marines are the human resources. This would be a great argument in support of union representation for the Marines.:joke:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    <snip>US Navy Rules to Gunfighting :coffee:
    1. Go to Sea
    2. Send the Marines
    3. Drink Coffee
    <snip>

You forgot:
    -Lob very heavy projectiles/missles from a distance to clear the beach head for the Marines.
    -Launch fully loaded aircraft to take out hostiles from the air so the marines can move safely.
    and
    -Pick up marines & bring them home.

We're all one big happy family!

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    You forgot:
    -Lob very heavy projectiles/missles from a distance to clear the beach head for the Marines.
    -Launch fully loaded aircraft to take out hostiles from the air so the marines can move safely.
    and
    -Pick up marines & bring them home.

We're all one big happy family!
    I deny all three of these...Late arty, late ships, late air support. :)

sidearmed, you forgot one other thing:

send medic to accompany marines who forget rules 1-24
    ...have to give you that one. :yesway: Corpsmen.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Huh...

The Marines are part of the Navy...

... and have been ever since the day that those nice young boys in their ice cream suits realized that they were going to need some rough men to keep other rough men from beating them up, messing up their suits, and stealing their boats.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.[FONT=&quot]
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

[/FONT]

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.[FONT=&quot]
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
    [/FONT]

:yesway: Great quote!

BTW, Jay, thank you of your service. You were there during the tough part of that campaign, if I understand your signature correctly.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I LOVE the Marines and i'm sorry to have to do this, but............my brother was a Ranger

A battalion of marines was on a beach doing a PT workout when the CO of the battalion looked up and saw a lone army ranger standing at attention at the top of a hill.
    The CO was curious so he sent a marine up to see what was going on.
    As the marine approached the ranger sprinted into the woods, and the marine followed.
    Yelling and screaming could be heard coming from the woods, seconds later the Ranger stepped out and stood back at attention.
    The CO was still curious so he sent a squad up to investigate.
    The ranger ran into the woods and after some yelling and screaming, came back out and stood at attention again.
    Now the CO was angry so he sent an entire Platoon up to the top of the hill.
    The ranger ran into the woods.
    He emerged moments later after some more yelling and screaming with no sign of the marines anywhere.
    The CO had had enough, he sent the entire battalion of marines charging up the hill.
    The ranger ran into the woods. Awful screaming and yelling could be heard this time.
    Finally a terribly beaten marine crawled out of the woods and reported back to the CO.
    The CO inquired "Do you mean to tell me that one army ranger destroyed an entire battalion of marines"
    The marine replied "no sir, it was a trick, there were two of them"

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I LOVE the Marines and i'm sorry to have to do this, but............my brother was a Ranger

A battalion of marines was on a beach doing a PT workout when the CO of the battalion looked up and saw a lone army ranger standing at attention at the top of a hill.
    The CO was curious so he sent a marine up to see what was going on.
    As the marine approached the ranger sprinted into the woods, and the marine followed.
    Yelling and screaming could be heard coming from the woods, seconds later the Ranger stepped out and stood back at attention.
    The CO was still curious so he sent a squad up to investigate.
    The ranger ran into the woods and after some yelling and screaming, came back out and stood at attention again.
    Now the CO was angry so he sent an entire Platoon up to the top of the hill.
    The ranger ran into the woods.
    He emerged moments later after some more yelling and screaming with no sign of the marines anywhere.
    The CO had had enough, he sent the entire battalion of marines charging up the hill.
    The ranger ran into the woods. Awful screaming and yelling could be heard this time.
    Finally a terribly beaten marine crawled out of the woods and reported back to the CO.
    The CO inquired "Do you mean to tell me that one army ranger destroyed an entire battalion of marines"
    The marine replied "no sir, it was a trick, there were two of them"

:rofl: I did not see that one coming at all haha.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I too, am sorry to do this...... wait..... no, I'm not either..... to those who have served, or, who are serving thank you for your service. Your barbs are received with tolerance. :D

In the beginning was the word, and the word was God.
    In the beginning was God, and all else was darkness and void, and without form. So God created the heavens and the Earth. He created the sun, and the moon, and the stars, so that light might pierce the darkness. The Earth, God divided between the land and the sea, and these he filled with many assorted creatures.

And the dark, salty, slimy creatures that inhabited the murky depths of the oceans, God called sailors. And He dressed them accordingly. They had little trousers that looked like bells at the bottom. And their shirts had cute little flaps on them to hide the hickeys on their necks. He also gave them long sideburns and shabby looking beards. God nicknamed them "squids" and banished them to a lifetime at sea, so that normal folks would not have to associate with them. To further identify these unloved creatures, He called them "petty" and "commodore" instead of titles worthy of red-blooded men.

And the flaky creatures of the land, God called soldiers. And with a twinkle in His eye, and a sense of humor that only He could have, God made their trousers too short and their covers too large. He also made their pockets oversized, so that they may warm their hands. And to adorn their uniforms, God gave them badges in quantities that only a dime store owner could appreciate. And He gave them emblems and crests... and all sorts of shiny things that glittered...and devices that dangled. (When you are God you tend to get carried away.)

On the 6th day, He thought about creating some air creatures for which he designed a Greyhound bus driver's uniform, especially for Air Force flyboys. But He discarded the idea during the first week, and it was not until years later that some apostles resurrected this theme and established what we now know as the "Wild-Blue-Yonder Wonders."
    And on the 7th day, as you know, God rested.

But on the 8th day, at 0730, God looked down upon the earth and was not happy. No, God was not happy! So He thought about His labors, and in His divine wisdom God created a divine creature. And this He called Marine. And these Marines, who God had created in His own image, were to be of the air, and of the land, and of the sea. And these He gave many wonderful uniforms. Some were green; some were blue with red trim. And in the early days, some were even a beautiful tan. He gave them practical fighting uniforms, so that they could wage war against the forces of Satan and evil. He gave them service uniforms for their daily work and training. And He gave them evening and dress uniforms... sharp and stylish, handsome things... so that they might promenade with their ladies on Saturday night and impress the hell out of everybody! He even gave them swords, so that people who were not impressed could be dealt with accordingly. And at the end of the 8th day, God looked down upon the earth and saw that it was good. But was God happy? No! God was still not happy! Because in the course of His labors, He had forgotten one thing: He did not have a Marine uniform for himself. He thought about it, and thought about it, and finally God satisfied Himself in knowing that, well... not everybody can be a Marine!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have not had the honor of serving in any branch of the U.S. Military, and for that reason, I am totally unfit to even comment on this thread.

Having said that, I once heard this joke from a Navy officer, which I thought was very funny:

Marine to Sailor: You know, Marines protect sailors, just like German shepards protect the Army.

Sailor: Because the Army always gets first choice.

Top Bottom