• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Looks like the Navy is suffers from the same thing the Army does ?
    In the early 90’s we were told to take all the ring mounts for .50’s off all the support trucks and throw them in the scrap mental bin.
    You will never need them warfare is too fast now we overran the Iraqi Army in a few days we will never fight a war that requires ammo and fuel trucks to be armed.
    In 2003 the Army was requesting the National Guard send ring mounts off the old trucks to the Regular Army it seems ammo and fuel trucks needed to be armed again.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...t-may-have-to-sink-ships-again-in-the-future/

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In the early 90’s we were told to take all the ring mounts for .50’s off all the support trucks and throw them in the scrap mental bin.
    You will never need them warfare is too fast now we overran the Iraqi Army in a few days we will never fight a war that requires ammo and fuel trucks to be armed.
    In 2003 the Army was requesting the National Guard send ring mounts off the old trucks to the Regular Army it seems ammo and fuel trucks needed to be armed again.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...t-may-have-to-sink-ships-again-in-the-future/

Classic case of "New is Better" and then finding out, maybe not.
    The military has to walk a fine line.
    Ignore technology, and you're fighting tanks with arrows.
    Worship technology, and you're overpriced stuff fails.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

My Suburban just needs ONE Turret Ring..... JUST ONE...... :crying:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Touch screens can be 'iffy' in a tactical environment. One spot hit multiple times in any sequence, hands vs gloves and possible chem gear...there can be many issues when you really need something to respond right now.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Big Blue said Fighters didn't need guns in the early 60s and dogfighting was a thing of the past. Then we got into Vietnam with dogfights and needed Fighters with guns. The F-35 has a gun, with 180 rounds. Out of an M-61 that's about three seconds.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Back when the F-16 was in development the initial prototypes had a pressure sensitive stick that didn't move. Some engineers thought that was a great idea because the controls are all electric anyway...next generation stuff! Then pilots got in and said...ummm...NO stick must move!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In my systems engineering classes the LCS was an example of how not to do it.

It was a system that was designed from the ground up, maintained, and operated by those with no understanding that Navy Ships Must Go IN HARM'S WAY.
    Not to say the crew believed that. But the way the crew was organized... ugh.

The Navy DOES need to look at innovation.
    But, they can't just throw stuff out willy/nilly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Back when I was in the Air Force.
    I watched a Crew Chief twisting all the gauges.
    When I asked him what and why.
    He said, When everything is running great.
    All the needles are in the same place.
    If I see a needle not in the right place.
    I know something is going wrong.
    I do not have to know what every gauge should be reading.

I have been wondering how or what they crew chiefs do with digital interments.
    They must rely on alarms to sound.
    Which is generally TO LATE.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back when I was in the Air Force.
    I watched a Crew Chief twisting all the gauges.
    When I asked him what and why.
    He said, When everything is running great.
    All the needles are in the same place.
    If I see a needle not in the right place.
    I know something is going wrong.
    I do not have to know what every gauge should be reading.

I have been wondering how or what they crew chiefs do with digital interments.
    They must rely on alarms to sound.
    Which is generally TO LATE.
    Was this before or after something on the aircraft was struck by a hammer by the Crew Chief?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Was this before or after something on the aircraft was struck by a hammer by the Crew Chief?

We did the same thing in race cars before the dash boards went full digital
    A mere glance from the driver was all that's needed. Needles straight up or close and carry on. Way to easy to clock the gauges.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Now, if they would just send ships into harms way at all.

Naval aircraft launch from so far out, that they have to be re-fueled twice each sortie.

It's a very risk averse Navy.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It is a conundrum that has been around since the battleship. The ship costs so much you can't afford to lose it but it's worthless unless you're willing risk doing so.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Even if they do go all digital and touch screen, rest assured there is always a way around it to keep in control of the ship and the firing systems.

I'm somewhat of an expert on the subject.... I watch every episode of "The Last Ship".

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was never a sailor but I think I would like the idea of a lot of steel between me and the bad stuff.

Top Bottom