• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I have a kidd 22lr rifle already. Don't really shoot that either. Lol. I am looking for something 308 Soley because I already have a suppressor for that caliber.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Remmy, or Savage

Personally, I've seen problem rifles from both companies and I've seen examples from both that run great (which I have two of from Remington, despite one of them being 35 years old). I prefer Remington, but if a Savage suits you better I doubt one is really better than the other.

There are other great rifle companies out there also like Howa or Tikka. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I think I am going to go with the Ruger PR in 308. I like the idea of the mag and being able to change out the parts with ease. I still need to handle one but seems to be the way I am leaning.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Personally, I've seen problem rifles from both companies and I've seen examples from both that run great (which I have two of from Remington, despite one of them being 35 years old). I prefer Remington, but if a Savage suits you better I doubt one is really better than the other.

There are other great rifle companies out there also like Howa or Tikka. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

Agreed

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    There is a solid chance you may have to replace the trigger on the Remington. Many have been replaced, and it may not be so on the one you buy, but their triggers were recalled for random firing. Now, it may have been a lot of user error, putting the trigger weight really low, and dropping it or something like that. However, they still did a recall. They will fix it for free if you need to, unless you are going to replace the trigger yourself. Their barrels are not free floated as the Savage is, and a lot of times you will get a stock that has some play in it.

I would go with the Savage 10BA Stealth as well. It has a nice Chassis system, and is on rebate right now. Out of the box Savage shoots better. The FCP-SR is free floated, as is the Stealth, but the stealth has more rigidity. For a bench gun, I would go with the Stealth for sure.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Their barrels are not free floated as the Savage is, and a lot of times you will get a stock that has some play in it.

I would go with the Savage 10BA Stealth as well. It has a nice Chassis system, and is on rebate right now. Out of the box Savage shoots better.

The trigger part is good advice, but the barrel part is untrue as a general statement. better than half of their models are free floated, and the ones that aren't (like the featherweights), can be argued to shoot better UN-floated except when taken to the level of custom rifles.

I float all of mine, but that's not a single-operation deal, because I also pillar and bed.

But what do you mean about "a stock that has some play in it" ? "Play" where, and in what stocks?

As a 100% true statement about both manufacturers: the tupperware black plastics stocks are awful.

Finally, the general statement about Savage 10/110 rifles shooting better out of the box may have been true, and there were/are some contributing factors to the Savages being more easily ABLE to shoot well, but I bet over a large sample size, there wouldn't be much difference.

-Nate

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    OP if your just wanting a fun plinker in 308 that can support your can out of the box. It really would be tough to beat the Savage Hog Hunter. Great accuracy out of the box plus a number of other nice features like Accutrigger and oversized bolt handle. The other choice would be the FCP-SR this gives you a bit heavier barrel contour along with fluting and the addition of a better stock by way of the Accustock and the added benefit of a 10rd DBM setup (all be it not the greatest setup, but does work). Here are a few reviews I did of them if you'd like to take a look!

[video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc&t=6s[/video]

[video=youtube;eZC7hH0rfhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC7hH0rfhI&t=336s[/video]

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    OP if your just wanting a fun plinker in 308 that can support your can out of the box. It really would be tough to beat the Savage Hog Hunter. Great accuracy out of the box plus a number of other nice features like Accutrigger and oversized bolt handle. The other choice would be the FCP-SR this gives you a bit heavier barrel contour along with fluting and the addition of a better stock by way of the Accustock and the added benefit of a 10rd DBM setup (all be it not the greatest setup, but does work). Here are a few reviews I did of them if you'd like to take a look!

:+1: That is why I am looking at getting one. To me it is one of the best out of box rifles for the price. Seen them for 600-800 depending on attachments. I also really like that the barrel is threaded from the factory. Muzzle brakes are always nice when shooting at the range to decrease some of the punch..... Now I really have the itch to pick one up.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    :+1: That is why I am looking at getting one. To me it is one of the best out of box rifles for the price. Seen them for 600-800 depending on attachments. I also really like that the barrel is threaded from the factory. Muzzle brakes are always nice when shooting at the range to decrease some of the punch..... Now I really have the itch to pick one up.

I currently have one of the 20" versions in 6.5CM that's Ive been messing with I like it a lot so far. I ended up picking it up from Bud's on sale for less than $600 shipped and transferred... Hard to beat that kind of price for what you get out of the box..

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I wish I had your fun money :)

I'm a poor broke guy as well, but, I buy only the rifle's I will never fall out love with, plus I demand great accuracy, so I save my cash and buy that ONE rifle

I have shot these 1710's and that's next on my list.......Unless I build another NM (national match) rifle

Aaron

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm a poor broke guy as well, but, I buy only the rifle's I will never fall out love with, plus I demand great accuracy, so I save my cash and buy that ONE rifle

Aaron, you and I are very similar in at least that one regard.

I don't buy junk. As a result, I don't have much as far as volume, but gosh I sure can shoot the ones I have...and the better I get, the better the rifles seem to be. Funny how that is: a quality platform will never let you down.

-Nate

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    A guy at work has me double thinking the whole bolt action thing. Maybe going with a semi auto since I am not trying to shoot groups.

Top Bottom