• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Looking for a decent car mechanic on the west side of Indy. The freakin' "check engine" light came on over the weekend. I'd like to avoid taking it to the dealer since I'm fairly certain I'll get ripped off if I need any major work done. I haven't needed any mechanical work done since I moved to Indy (except for body work from getting rear ended and later on having the car backed into while parked) so I don't have a go-to shop yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If you take it to AZ, it's the oxygen sensor.

If you take it to a mechanic, they might tell you what the actual problem is.

^^^^^This is true!!!

Auto Zone will not tell you what the problem is, nor what code may or may not be kicked. The engine light can come on without a code, and it can pop a code without the engine light on.

You can try clearing any codes and seeing if the light goes away and stays away. Most shops will do a basic diagnosis and tell you what the scoop is for $50 or less. Find a shop that uses real diagnostic scan tools and not some white trash guy thinks it sounds like.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you don't mind coming to the south side, I know (believe it or not) 3 great, honest mechanics! Two in Beech Grove, and one in Greenwood.
    Send me a p.m., if you want their contact info.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree with AZ first. I have always been able to get codes run and fix the problem and the light goes off. I also second removing and then tightening the gas cap. This usually fixes the problem.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Green's [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Truck/Auto Service North
    4810 Northwestern Drive
    Zionsville, IN 46077
    Phone: 317-872-4177

It's west-ish. Honest and fairly quick.
    [/FONT]

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Call James at 701-3026 (cell) and tell him his Buddy David sent you. He is a good mechanic and is good on pricing, has done some work for me on short notice before. Good guy.

He works at a shop near the Govenors Mansion.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I'm not sure where you are exactly but if your in Greenwood, come and see me at Autobahn Service Center in our new location at 1648 S Old SR 37, Greenwood, 46143
    we are right opposite Olive Branch Rd on SR37 in the old Caporal Post building.
    (317) 888 0315 ask for me (Thomas) I'll check it and tell you the proper code for free.

Thomas

michael b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Fishers
    I totally agree. Autozone will either tell you the code number and instruct you to look it up yourself on the internet, or give you the vaguest answer such as the O2 sensor. Have you thought of checking Angie's List? At least by checking that website, you will get a more reputable mechanic who can find out what is exactly wrong with your car. I drive a Saab and there are only a few mechanics who will actually work on that type of car, so I know how hard it can be to find a good one.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I totally agree. Autozone will either tell you the code number and instruct you to look it up yourself on the internet, or give you the vaguest answer such as the O2 sensor. Have you thought of checking Angie's List? At least by checking that website, you will get a more reputable mechanic who can find out what is exactly wrong with your car. I drive a Saab and there are only a few mechanics who will actually work on that type of car, so I know how hard it can be to find a good one.
    I do a lot of Saabs... I've owned 5 of them, call or PM me if you have a problem
    Thomas
    Autobahn Service Center (317) 888 0315

Top Bottom