• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am in the need of a few plastic containers that are durable and can be waterproofed. They need to be rugged with a size of no less than a foot tall. I would prefer something the size of a foot locker if possible. Also, they need to be of reasonable cost as I am not spending $50 per bin. These are for storage and not to be buried or anything else like that but I need them to be waterproof or the ability to do it. Rough dimensions of 12wx12hx36 long or bigger would be great. Any info on these would be great.

Thanks

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'll throw this out there. If you have a container that works but isn't water proof consider getting some fiberglass from an autoparts store. You could "paint" the inside and bottom of the lid with the mixed resin. Let it dry and add a gasket.

If you don't have any containers the right size, then consider getting some wood and building them to your exact specs and painted the outer surfaces AND were the lid would touch the lower portion, then add your seal. If you put in some bolt studs on the bottom (or lid) that went through the other sides then you could use wingnuts to tighten the lid down. Then, using something like RTV sealent would work great for the seal as long as you kept it somewhat even of a bead.

Might be more work than you want to put into it, but you could have some super strong high quality boxes that could be stored at the bottom of a lake for pretty cheap.

EDIT: be sure whatever you use will allow the fiberglass to stick to it, wood would be great, but you could use other things, just note that plastic containers wouldn't work so well....but those are generally fairly waterpoof depending on how the lid works already.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was thinking about using wood but did not have faith in the water proof thing. Rubbermaid used to have some of the heavy duty totes that were a lot thinkcker than the thin walled regular storage totes. They were black bottom with a grey colored lid and red clasp latches to close them but I can't find them anymore. Whatever I get I figured I would have to make a rubber seal or use silicone/caulk for a water tight seal. These don't have to be cases that I get in on a regular basis. To be honest they are for filling and leaving somewhere else like another persons garage or basement for future use:D

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I could possibly get a few containers they hold chemicals and I think they are around 33 gallons. I get them from my dads work and i have used them for rain barrels on gutters. They are blue in color and have two small two or three inch holes on top. As far as price we will figure that out. Let me know and take care.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    . Rubbermaid used to have some of the heavy duty totes that were a lot thinkcker than the thin walled regular storage totes. They were black bottom with a grey colored lid and red clasp latches to close them but I can't find them anymore. :D
    You mean their action packers. I have a few from years ago, the older design and they have held up well. You can still get them but I never considerd them waterproof. Maybe the newer design is. Not cheap, but if what you are storing is worth it.

Storage Containers | Storage Bins | Storage Totes | Rubbermaid

Personally, for larger bins, I like to find them on mil surplus auction sites. Another great way to go is the larger marine grade coolers. NOT cheap but tough as nails, double as furniture, they are water tight and can of course be used as coolers and many other things.

Over the years I have come into some interesting stuff through people I know at factories, espeically electronics. I have larger black poly type cubes, pallet sized, that I leave outside and the top just lifts off, bone dry inside. I have also built some stuff of my own using pallets made of similar material. I got all of it free.

Some examples of what I have can be found here, including the collapsible bulk container
    Pallets, Plastic Pallets in Stock - Uline

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I could possibly get a few containers they hold chemicals and I think they are around 33 gallons. I get them from my dads work and i have used them for rain barrels on gutters. They are blue in color and have two small two or three inch holes on top. As far as price we will figure that out. Let me know and take care.
    I will keep this in mind and thanks!

You mean their action packers. I have a few from years ago, the older design and they have held up well. You can still get them but I never considerd them waterproof. Maybe the newer design is. Not cheap, but if what you are storing is worth it.

Storage Containers | Storage Bins | Storage Totes | Rubbermaid

Personally, for larger bins, I like to find them on mil surplus auction sites. Another great way to go is the larger marine grade coolers. NOT cheap but tough as nails, double as furniture, they are water tight and can of course be used as coolers and many other things.

Over the years I have come into some interesting stuff through people I know at factories, espeically electronics. I have larger black poly type cubes, pallet sized, that I leave outside and the top just lifts off, bone dry inside. I have also built some stuff of my own using pallets made of similar material. I got all of it free.

Some examples of what I have can be found here, including the collapsible bulk container
    Pallets, Plastic Pallets in Stock - Uline

Zoub, those are the exact Rubbermaid tubs and I could not find what they were.

Top Bottom